Shell error - Solaris

This is a discussion on Shell error - Solaris ; Hello All when I try to change the shell for root user in /etc/passwd from /bin/ sh ---> /usr/sbin/bash I'm can't login to my Desktop (GNOME Java Desktop) and this error message (Nautilus can't be used now, due to an ...

  1. Shell error

    Hello All
    when I try to change the shell for root user in /etc/passwd from /bin/
    sh ---> /usr/sbin/bash

    I'm can't login to my Desktop (GNOME Java Desktop) and this error
    message
    (Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexepted error)

    nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexepted error from bonobo when
    attempting to rifester the file
    manager view server )

    but I can lgin to failsafe and CDS and restor /etc/passwd for default

    So if any body have info post me
    and thanks for advance

  2. Re: Shell error

    Hosam wrote:
    > Hello All
    > when I try to change the shell for root user in /etc/passwd from /bin/
    > sh ---> /usr/sbin/bash
    >
    > I'm can't login to my Desktop (GNOME Java Desktop) and this error
    > message
    > (Nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexepted error)
    >

    > nautilus can't be used now, due to an unexepted error from bonobo when
    > attempting to rifester the file
    > manager view server )
    >

    > but I can lgin to failsafe and CDS and restor /etc/passwd for default
    >

    > So if any body have info post me
    > and thanks for advance

    Hi check if you get this error !

    $ ls /usr/sbin/bash
    /usr/sbin/bash: No such file or directory
    $ ls /usr/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/bash

    /Jorgen

  3. Re: Shell error

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:34:24 -0700, Hosam wrote:

    > when I try to change the shell for root user in /etc/passwd from /bin/
    > sh ---> /usr/sbin/bash

    There is *no* /usr/sbin/bash.

  4. Re: Shell error

    Hosam wrote:
    > Hello All
    > when I try to change the shell for root user in /etc/passwd from /bin/
    > sh ---> /usr/sbin/bash

    It is generally unwise to change the root shell for some of the reasons
    that you have encountered.

    You are better off leaving it as "sh" and then just run "bash" on the
    command line for the bash environment when you need to.

+ Reply to Thread