want to add 5-7 external drives - Solaris

This is a discussion on want to add 5-7 external drives - Solaris ; I have a 7 drive raidz2 server that is going to be full in about six to nine months. I'm starting to look into inexpensive means to increase the server's capacity. Possibilities: 1) a 5-in-3 adapter in the server's space ...

  1. want to add 5-7 external drives

    I have a 7 drive raidz2 server that is going to be full in about six to nine
    months. I'm starting to look into inexpensive means to increase the
    server's capacity.

    Possibilities:
    1) a 5-in-3 adapter in the server's space for 3 5" optical drives to hold 5
    drives. Drive bracket hanging over motherboard can hold another two drives.
    Cons: poor cooling for drive bracket. no optical drive (can use usb drive or
    nfs copied updates or nfs jumpstart)

    2) esata card, and external drive case with port multiplier.
    Cons: no port multiplier support yet; when it first arrives, it may be
    buggy.

    3) whole new server
    Cons: new drive array won't be pooled with existing array.

    4) who new server using iscsi
    have new server make its drives available to the old server using iscsi.
    Cons: does solaris support iscsi?

    5) usb
    Cons: who the hell wants a stack of 7 usb drives? Largest cases have 5
    drives but typically have loud fans.

    Any other ideas for something on the cheap?

  2. Re: want to add 5-7 external drives

    On 08 Apr 2008 17:01:20 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >Swap out the existing drives for larger ones, one at a time
    >to allow the raidz2 to resync. (I've done this with ZFS mirrors,
    >but not with a ZFS raidz.)

    I've considered that option. I currently have 7 500G drives in the array.
    7 1TB drives would be a bit pricey for now although prices are dropping
    *fast*. They may be down to $125 by the time I need to do the upgrade.

    When I built the server, 750G drives were hovering around $270 and they're
    already below $150 barely 12 months later.

  3. Re: want to add 5-7 external drives

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On 08 Apr 2008 17:01:20 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >>Swap out the existing drives for larger ones, one at a time
    >>to allow the raidz2 to resync. (I've done this with ZFS mirrors,
    >>but not with a ZFS raidz.)

    > I've considered that option. I currently have 7 500G drives in the array.
    > 7 1TB drives would be a bit pricey for now although prices are dropping
    > *fast*. They may be down to $125 by the time I need to do the upgrade.

    If you can't afford the amount of storage you want, suggestions of what to
    do won't help at all.

  4. Re: want to add 5-7 external drives

    In article ,
    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >I hope you realize that you get what you pay for when it comes to lots of
    >cheap storage. There's no way around it. You might want to be saving for a
    >tape drive before you start to add even more drives to what you have now.

    If the problem is cheap, poorly supported eSATA HBAs, perhaps a JBOD
    enclosure for cheap SATA disks with a more expensive, better supported
    fibre channel interface will help the OP.

    I don't know if such a beast exists, but some of Sun's DAS use cheap
    SATA disks and FC host interfaces.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: want to add 5-7 external drives

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > I have a 7 drive raidz2 server that is going to be full in about six to nine
    > months. I'm starting to look into inexpensive means to increase the
    > server's capacity.
    >
    > Possibilities:
    > 1) a 5-in-3 adapter in the server's space for 3 5" optical drives to hold 5
    > drives. Drive bracket hanging over motherboard can hold another two drives.
    > Cons: poor cooling for drive bracket. no optical drive (can use usb drive or
    > nfs copied updates or nfs jumpstart)
    >
    > 2) esata card, and external drive case with port multiplier.
    > Cons: no port multiplier support yet; when it first arrives, it may be
    > buggy.
    >
    > 3) whole new server
    > Cons: new drive array won't be pooled with existing array.
    >
    > 4) who new server using iscsi
    > have new server make its drives available to the old server using iscsi.
    > Cons: does solaris support iscsi?
    >
    > 5) usb
    > Cons: who the hell wants a stack of 7 usb drives? Largest cases have 5
    > drives but typically have loud fans.

    6) Move everything into a full tower case with a couple of decent (I use
    Supremicro CSE-M35T1) 5 way drive caddies.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  6. Re: want to add 5-7 external drives

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:56:55 +0000 (UTC), John D Groenveld wrote:
    >In article ,
    >Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>I hope you realize that you get what you pay for when it comes to lots of
    >>cheap storage. There's no way around it. You might want to be saving for a
    >>tape drive before you start to add even more drives to what you have now.

    >If the problem is cheap, poorly supported eSATA HBAs, perhaps a JBOD
    >enclosure for cheap SATA disks with a more expensive, better supported
    >fibre channel interface will help the OP.

    >I don't know if such a beast exists, but some of Sun's DAS use cheap
    >SATA disks and FC host interfaces.

    I was thinking of the possibility of using iscsi for something similar.
    Throw a cheap motherboard with a pile of drives in an inexpensive server
    chassis connected to the main server with a dedicated gigabit ethernet.
    Install solaris and set it up as an iscsi target which would
    hopefully be accessable by the main file server.

+ Reply to Thread