How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10? - Solaris

This is a discussion on How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10? - Solaris ; I have Solaris 10 x86. The motherboard has a built-in graphics card. How do I install a new graphics card (from the HCL list) so that Solaris will recognize it? I realize the first thing I need to do is ...

  1. How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10?

    I have Solaris 10 x86. The motherboard has a built-in graphics card.
    How do I install a new graphics card (from the HCL list) so that
    Solaris will recognize it?

    I realize the first thing I need to do is go into the BIOS to disable
    the on-board graphics card. What else do I need to do after this?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10?

    quoting Michelle (Thu, 3 Apr 2008 23:13:03 -0700 (PDT)):
    > I have Solaris 10 x86. The motherboard has a built-in graphics card.
    > How do I install a new graphics card (from the HCL list) so that
    > Solaris will recognize it?
    >
    > I realize the first thing I need to do is go into the BIOS to disable
    > the on-board graphics card. What else do I need to do after this?

    In the root directory "touch reconfigure" ; init 6
    That is, if solaris knows your new hardware and supports it.
    After that you probably have to tweak xorg.conf. Maybe it's best to
    first rename it and see what solaris makes of it in the new .xorg.cof

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u4 08/07 ++

  3. Re: How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10?

    On Apr 4, 12:33*pm, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > quoting Michelle (Thu, 3 Apr 2008 23:13:03 -0700 (PDT)):
    >
    > > I have Solaris 10 x86. *The motherboard has a built-ingraphicscard.
    > > How do I install a newgraphicscard (from the HCL list) so that
    > > Solaris will recognize it?

    > > I realize the first thing I need to do is go into the BIOS to disable
    > > the on-boardgraphicscard. *What else do I need to do after this?

    > In the root directory "touch reconfigure" ; init 6
    > That is, if solaris knows your new hardware and supports it.
    > After that you probably have to tweak xorg.conf. Maybe it's best to
    > first rename it and see what solaris makes of it in the new .xorg.cof
    >
    > --
    > Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    > ++http://nagual.nl/| SunOS 10u4 08/07 ++

    Anyone else knows how to do this?

    Do I install the new graphnics card first, or do I install it after
    reconfiguring it?

    By the way, my new graphics card is on SUN's approved HCL, so Solaris
    10
    will reconigze the card.

  4. Re: How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10?

    Michelle wrote:
    > On Apr 4, 12:33 pm, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >> quoting Michelle (Thu, 3 Apr 2008 23:13:03 -0700 (PDT)):
    >>
    >>> I have Solaris 10 x86. The motherboard has a built-ingraphicscard.
    >>> How do I install a newgraphicscard (from the HCL list) so that
    >>> Solaris will recognize it?
    >>> I realize the first thing I need to do is go into the BIOS to disable
    >>> the on-boardgraphicscard. What else do I need to do after this?

    >> In the root directory "touch reconfigure" ; init 6
    >> That is, if solaris knows your new hardware and supports it.
    >> After that you probably have to tweak xorg.conf. Maybe it's best to
    >> first rename it and see what solaris makes of it in the new .xorg.cof
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    >> ++http://nagual.nl/| SunOS 10u4 08/07 ++

    > Anyone else knows how to do this?
    >
    > Do I install the new graphnics card first, or do I install it after
    > reconfiguring it?
    >
    > By the way, my new graphics card is on SUN's approved HCL, so Solaris
    > 10
    > will reconigze the card.

    try this..

    turn on / reboot system.. wait for the GRUB screen to appear

    highlight the boot OS (generally the one on top)

    enter "e" then enter "e" again.. this will bring the boot string..

    enter "spacebar" -rs , then press enter

    this should bring you back to the GRUB screen.. press the "b" key to
    begin the boot process..

    when the boot finishes it prompts you to enter password for system
    maintenance - enter the root password..

    at the # prompt.. enter "kdmconfig"

    follow the prompts to change (if needed) , verify the settings and test
    the settings.. you may want to change the resolution since the default
    is conservative.. once you verify the settings work , type reboot and
    you'll get the normal login prompt ..

    ~k

    --
    The Lumber Cartel Unit 149 , 7^3^rd Order Prefect False
    Christian Scum since 1992 {[ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER]}

  5. Re: How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10?

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 00:37:57 -0400, Keith H wrote:

    > at the # prompt.. enter "kdmconfig"

    /usr/sbin/kdmconfig applies only to the Xsun window system environment,
    which is no longer the default in Solaris x86 - quoted from the man page.

  6. Re: How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10?

    Keith H wrote:

    > at the # prompt.. enter "kdmconfig"

    kdmconfig only applies to Xsun.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  7. Re: How to install a new graphics card on Solaris 10?

    quoting Michelle (Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:53:43 -0700 (PDT)):
    > Anyone else knows how to do this?

    What's unclear about my advice?

    > Do I install the new graphnics card first, or do I install it after
    > reconfiguring it?

    How can you configure something that is NOT there yet. It's only logical
    to install first and *then* reconfigure.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u4 08/07 ++

+ Reply to Thread