Setup Intel Pro/1000 PT on Solaris 10 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Setup Intel Pro/1000 PT on Solaris 10 - Solaris ; Hi, I installed an Intel Pro/1000 PT ethernet card on a Solaris 10 AMD x64 machine. I added the driver information below to /etc/driver_aliases (per the link below) and rebooted after each change. Intel Corporation Notes: Gigabit Ethernet Products. 1. ...

  1. Setup Intel Pro/1000 PT on Solaris 10

    Hi,

    I installed an Intel Pro/1000 PT ethernet card on a Solaris 10 AMD x64
    machine.
    I added the driver information below to /etc/driver_aliases (per the
    link below) and rebooted after each change.

    Intel Corporation
    Notes: Gigabit Ethernet Products.
    1. Driver name e1000g
    2. Add 'pci8086,1092' to /etc/driver_aliases and reboot system.
    3. Add 'pci8086,11bc' to /etc/driver_aliases and reboot system.
    4. Add 'pci8086,1093' to /etc/driver_aliases and reboot system.
    http://www.sun.com/io_technologies/v...rporation.html

    Solaris doesn't seem to recognize the NIC.
    I tried ifconfig -a and only the loopback connection was displayed.
    I tried ifconfig -a plumb and nothing was displayed.

    Questions:
    1. How do I configure the NIC?
    2. How do I get the device name of the NIC?
    3. How do I configure DHCP?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Setup Intel Pro/1000 PT on Solaris 10

    > Questions:
    > 1. How do I configure the NIC?

    "ifconfig e1000g0 plumb" - but you'll need to do step 2 first

    > 2. How do I get the device name of the NIC?

    Try running /usr/X11/bin/scanpci and look for the Intel NIC, then add
    that device to driver_aliases. Then run devfsadm -v and see if a
    device link is created

    > 3. How do I configure DHCP?

    ifconfig e1000g0 auto-dhcp
    touch /etc/dhcp.e1000g0

  3. Re: Setup Intel Pro/1000 PT on Solaris 10

    On Apr 2, 7:05 pm, ITguy wrote:
    > > Questions:
    > > 1. How do I configure the NIC?

    > "ifconfig e1000g0 plumb" - but you'll need to do step 2 first
    >
    > > 2. How do I get the device name of the NIC?

    > Try running /usr/X11/bin/scanpci and look for the Intel NIC, then add
    > that device to driver_aliases. Then run devfsadm -v and see if a
    > device link is created
    >
    > > 3. How do I configure DHCP?

    > ifconfig e1000g0 auto-dhcp
    > touch /etc/dhcp.e1000g0

    Thanks for the help!

    The NIC and DHCP are working. To get DNS working I added "nameserver"
    before the DNS server IP address in "/etc/resolve.conf". Now DNS is
    working too.

    How can the NIC and DHCP be configured to start at boot?

    Thanks

  4. Re: Setup Intel Pro/1000 PT on Solaris 10

    On Apr 3, 12:04*pm, Ken wrote:
    > On Apr 2, 7:05 pm, ITguy wrote:
    >
    > > > Questions:
    > > > 1. How do I configure the NIC?

    > > "ifconfig e1000g0 plumb" *- but you'll need to do step 2 first

    > > > 2. How do I get the device name of the NIC?

    > > Try running /usr/X11/bin/scanpci and look for the Intel NIC, then add
    > > that device to driver_aliases. *Then run devfsadm -v and see if a
    > > device link is created

    > > > 3. How do I configure DHCP?

    > > ifconfig e1000g0 auto-dhcp
    > > touch /etc/dhcp.e1000g0

    > Thanks for the help!
    >
    > The NIC and DHCP are working. To get DNS working I added "nameserver"
    > before the DNS server IP address in "/etc/resolve.conf". Now DNS is
    > working too.
    >
    > How can the NIC and DHCP be configured to start at boot?
    >
    > Thanks

    After rebooting only the loopback is running.

    I check the status:

    # ifconfig -a

    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

    I plumb the NIC:

    # ifconfig e1000g0 plumb

    I check the status:

    # ifconfig -a

    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    e1000g0: flags=1000842 mtu 1500
    index 2
    inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0
    ether 0:1b:21:f:9:c1

    I start DHCP:

    # ifconfig e1000g0 auto-dhcp

    I check the status:

    # ifconfig -a

    lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    8232 index 1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    e1000g0: flags=1004843 mtu
    1500 index 2
    inet 192.168.11.8 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.11.255
    ether 0:1b:21:f:9:c1

    Now the NIC and DHCP are running and I can reach my lan and the
    internet.

    During reboot the NIC fails with a message similar to:
    physical failure
    see svcs -xv
    Failed code 96

    Now after boot only the loopback is running.

    Any ideas on how to fix this problem and get the NIC and DHVP running
    at boot?

    Thanks

  5. Re: Setup Intel Pro/1000 PT on Solaris 10

    On Apr 4, 7:49 am, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
    > In article <6f1fb4ab-f260-4a8b-bd71-872d9c539...@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
    > Ken writes:
    >

    > > After rebooting only the loopback is running.
    > > I check the status:
    > > # ifconfig -a
    > > lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    > > 8232 index 1
    > > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    > > I plumb the NIC:
    > > # ifconfig e1000g0 plumb
    > > I check the status:
    > > # ifconfig -a
    > > lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    > > 8232 index 1
    > > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    > > e1000g0: flags=1000842 mtu 1500
    > > index 2
    > > inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0
    > > ether 0:1b:21:f:9:c1
    > > I start DHCP:
    > > # ifconfig e1000g0 auto-dhcp
    > > I check the status:
    > > # ifconfig -a
    > > lo0: flags=2001000849 mtu
    > > 8232 index 1
    > > inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
    > > e1000g0: flags=1004843 mtu
    > > 1500 index 2
    > > inet 192.168.11.8 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.11.255
    > > ether 0:1b:21:f:9:c1
    > > Now the NIC and DHCP are running and I can reach my lan and the
    > > internet.
    > > During reboot the NIC fails with a message similar to:
    > > physical failure
    > > see svcs -xv
    > > Failed code 96
    > > Now after boot only the loopback is running.
    > > Any ideas on how to fix this problem and get the NIC and DHVP running
    > > at boot?

    > echo > /etc/hostname.e1000g0
    > touch /etc/dhcp.e1000g0
    >
    > Then it should do this automatically at reboot.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel
    > [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

    I made the changes above and after rebooting only the loopback is
    running.

    Any other solutions I could try to get the NIC and DHVP running at
    boot?

    Thanks

  6. Re: Setup Intel Pro/1000 PT on Solaris 10

    On Apr 6, 3:29 pm, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
    > In article <8af2b967-6a8b-4ec2-9891-5a63e7134...@k20g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
    > Ken writes:
    >

    > > On Apr 4, 7:49 am, and...@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

    > >> echo > /etc/hostname.e1000g0
    > >> touch /etc/dhcp.e1000g0

    > >> Then it should do this automatically at reboot.

    > > I made the changes above and after rebooting only the loopback is
    > > running.

    > > Any other solutions I could try to get the NIC and DHVP running at
    > > boot?

    > What does "ifconfig -a" show a) after boot,
    > and b) after doing "ifconfig -a plumb"
    >
    > What does "svcs physical" say?
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Gabriel
    > [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

    For ifconfig -a output for conditions A & B see my post above on Apr
    4, 7:45 am.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread