what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86? - Solaris

This is a discussion on what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86? - Solaris ; I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyte external hard drives from both Maxtor and Seagate. When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris 10 x86 server, it tries to format the hard drive. But that's it. I ...

  1. what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyte external hard drives from both
    Maxtor and Seagate. When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris
    10 x86 server, it tries to format the hard drive. But that's it. I
    can't mount either drive because the format doesn't even run.

    Is that an external hard drive system that is around 250 GB to 1
    Terabyte that works with Solaris 10? Thanks.

  2. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    Michelle wrote:
    > I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyte external hard drives from both
    > Maxtor and Seagate. When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris
    > 10 x86 server, it tries to format the hard drive. But that's it. I
    > can't mount either drive because the format doesn't even run.
    >
    > Is that an external hard drive system that is around 250 GB to 1
    > Terabyte that works with Solaris 10? Thanks.

    From my experience, just about any.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    On Mar 24, 6:21 pm, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Michelle wrote:
    > > I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyte external hard drives from both
    > > Maxtor and Seagate. When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris
    > > 10 x86 server, it tries to format the hard drive. But that's it. I
    > > can't mount either drive because the format doesn't even run.
    > > Is that an external hard drive system that is around 250 GB to 1
    > > Terabyte that works with Solaris 10? Thanks.

    > From my experience, just about any.

    But it is best to use rmformat with removable media and maybe even
    shut off vold or hald depending before you work on a new USB drive....
    Surely its the same with non SPARC machinery?? fdisk might come into
    play
    as well I suppose. Fact is OP, you might have to use your noodle a bit.

  4. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    Michelle wrote:
    > I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyte external hard drives from both
    > Maxtor and Seagate. When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris
    > 10 x86 server, it tries to format the hard drive. But that's it. I
    > can't mount either drive because the format doesn't even run.
    >
    > Is that an external hard drive system that is around 250 GB to 1
    > Terabyte that works with Solaris 10? Thanks.

    I've not had any problems using any drive I tried. I'm using a 400 & a
    750 GB Seagate among others. However, I also observed that vold wanted
    to format the drive which pretty thoroughly freaked me out as I had
    attached the drive to restore some files after a Solaris update.

    I disabled vold and mount & unmount manually w/o any problems. I've
    always despised vold, so it didn't surprise me to see such foolishness
    nor bother me to turn it off. I would have anyway.

    Have Fun!
    Reg

  5. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    quoting usenetpersongerryt@gmail.com (Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:05:31 -0700 (PDT)):

    > But it is best to use rmformat with removable media and maybe even
    > shut off vold or hald depending before you work on a new USB drive....

    rmformat did see my 500gb hitachi drive in the external eSATA/USB2
    enclosure, but did not want to format it though.
    I had to use good old format for this task ;-)

    Since then it works like a charm.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u4 08/07 ++

  6. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    On Mar 24, 5:11*pm, Michelle wrote:
    > I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyte external hard drives from both
    > Maxtor and Seagate. *When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris
    > 10 x86 server, it tries to format the hard drive. *But that's it. *I
    > can't mount either drive because the format doesn't even run.
    >
    > Is that an external hard drive system that is around 250 GB to 1
    > Terabyte that works with Solaris 10? *Thanks.

    So I must have done something wrong. Can someone post the
    instructions on how to format an
    external USB hard drive on Solaris x86, and then, mounting it after
    the format is completed?
    Currently, whenever I plug in the USB cable, Solaris 10 wants to
    format the drive, and then,
    it just gets stuck there. Thanks.

  7. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    On Mar 25, 9:18 am, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > quoting usenetpersonger...@gmail.com (Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:05:31 -0700 (PDT)):
    > > But it is best to use rmformat with removable media and maybe even
    > > shut off vold or hald depending before you work on a new USB drive....

    > rmformat did see my 500gb hitachi drive in the external eSATA/USB2
    > enclosure, but did not want to format it though.
    > I had to use good old format for this task ;-)
    > Since then it works like a charm.

    Did you try rmformat -b first?

  8. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    usenetpersongerryt@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Mar 25, 9:18 am, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >> quoting usenetpersonger...@gmail.com (Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:05:31 -0700 (PDT)):
    >>> But it is best to use rmformat with removable media and maybe even
    >>> shut off vold or hald depending before you work on a new USB drive....

    >> rmformat did see my 500gb hitachi drive in the external eSATA/USB2
    >> enclosure, but did not want to format it though.
    >> I had to use good old format for this task ;-)
    >> Since then it works like a charm.

    > Did you try rmformat -b first?

    Alternatively, create a zpool on the drive.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  9. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    quoting usenetpersongerryt@gmail.com (Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:50:52 -0700 (PDT)):
    > On Mar 25, 9:18 am, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    >> quoting usenetpersonger...@gmail.com (Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:05:31 -0700 (PDT)):
    >> > But it is best to use rmformat with removable media and maybe even
    >> > shut off vold or hald depending before you work on a new USB
    >> > drive....

    >> rmformat did see my 500gb hitachi drive in the external eSATA/USB2
    >> enclosure, but did not want to format it though.
    >> I had to use good old format for this task ;-)
    >> Since then it works like a charm.

    > Did you try rmformat -b first?

    No, rmformat -l showed the drive as a removable one, but when I wanted
    to do a rmformat -F quick /dev/rdsk/drive the rmformat utility stated
    the drive as non removable. So, the only solution I had was either
    create a zpool (which I didn't because zfs needs more memory than I have
    at the moment) or use the format utility (fdisk, label, newfs). That
    worked very fine.

    The thing I have right now is that when the drive is *on* at startup
    sometimes the drive numbering is mixed up in sxde4. So, c0d0s0 suddenly
    becomes c1d0s0. That's not right of course. So, what I do is turn it on
    after bootup and mount it manualy. I will put in an ESATA card in the
    computer later on; USB is only temporarely.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS 10u4 08/07 ++

  10. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    Michelle wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 5:11 pm, Michelle wrote:
    >
    >>I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyte external hard drives from both
    >>Maxtor and Seagate. When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris
    >>10 x86 server, it tries to format the hard drive. But that's it. I
    >>can't mount either drive because the format doesn't even run.
    >>
    >>Is that an external hard drive system that is around 250 GB to 1
    >>Terabyte that works with Solaris 10? Thanks.

    > So I must have done something wrong. Can someone post the
    > instructions on how to format an
    > external USB hard drive on Solaris x86, and then, mounting it after
    > the format is completed?
    > Currently, whenever I plug in the USB cable, Solaris 10 wants to
    > format the drive, and then,
    > it just gets stuck there. Thanks.

    Here's a brief summary of my notes from setting up 400 & 750 GB Seagate
    drives w/ ufs. Setting up pcfs is similar:

    0) disable vold & reboot

    mv /etc/vold.conf /etc/vold.conf_disabled

    init 6

    1) plug in the drive and get the drive designation

    rmformat -l

    2) clear the old MS cruft

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/???? bs=2048 count=10

    Note: I don't think this was really necessary.
    My notes don't say why I did it.
    Probably just habit.

    2) get the number of sectors & create primary partition

    fdisk /dev/rdsk/????

    3) format the drive w/ newfs

    newfs -v [your choice of options] -s number_of_sectors /dev/rdsk/????

    The hard part was figuring out I needed to give the "-s #_sectors" option.

    you'll get a message from newfs that the drive returns a size of zero,
    but a seek to the specified size succeeds so it is using the size you
    gave it. I've encountered the same message everytime I've formatted a
    USB drive. I assume it's a error in the USB mass storage driver failing
    to propagate the information properly.

    4) mount -F ufs [your mount options] /dev/dsk/???? /mnt

    Have Fun!
    Reg

  11. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    On Mar 26, 12:40*pm, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    > Michelle wrote:
    > > On Mar 24, 5:11 pm, Michelle wrote:

    > >>I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyteexternalharddrives from both
    > >>Maxtor and Seagate. *When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris
    > >>10 x86 server, it tries to format theharddrive. *But that's it. *I
    > >>can't mount either drive because the format doesn't even run.

    > >>Is that anexternalharddrive system that is around 250 GB to 1
    > >>Terabyte that works with Solaris 10? *Thanks.

    > > So I must have done something wrong. *Can someone post the
    > > instructions on how to format an
    > >externalUSBharddrive on Solaris x86, and then, mounting it after
    > > the format is completed?
    > > Currently, whenever I plug in the USB cable, Solaris 10 wants to
    > > format the drive, and then,
    > > it just gets stuck there. *Thanks.

    > Here's a brief summary of my notes from setting up 400 & 750 GB Seagate
    > drives w/ ufs. *Setting up pcfs is similar:
    >
    > 0) disable vold & reboot
    >
    > * * mv /etc/vold.conf /etc/vold.conf_disabled
    >
    > * * init 6
    >
    > 1) plug in the drive and get the drive designation
    >
    > * * *rmformat -l
    >
    > 2) clear the old MS cruft
    >
    > * * *dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/???? bs=2048 count=10
    >
    > * * *Note: I don't think this was really necessary.
    > * * * * * *My notes don't say why I did it.
    > * * * * * *Probably just habit.
    >
    > 2) get the number of sectors & create primary partition
    >
    > * * *fdisk /dev/rdsk/????
    >
    > 3) format the drive w/ newfs
    >
    > * * *newfs -v [your choice of options] -s number_of_sectors /dev/rdsk/????
    >
    > Thehardpart was figuring out I needed to give the "-s #_sectors" option.
    >
    > you'll get a message from newfs that the drive returns a size of zero,
    > but a seek to the specified size succeeds so it is using the size you
    > gave it. *I've encountered the same message everytime I've formatted a
    > USB drive. *I assume it's a error in the USB mass storage driver failing
    > to propagate the information properly.
    >
    > 4) mount -F ufs [your mount options] /dev/dsk/???? /mnt
    >
    > Have Fun!
    > Reg- Hide quoted text -

    This is what I've done:

    # rmformat -l

    Looking for devices...
    1. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0p0
    Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@14,1/ide@0/sd@0,0
    Connected Device: SONY DVD RW AW-G170A 1.75
    Device Type: DVD Reader/Writer
    2. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p0
    Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci1043,81ef@13,5/storage@2/disk@0,0
    Connected Device: Maxtor OneTouch 0121
    Device Type: Removable

    # fdisk /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p0

    Total disk size is 60800 cylinders
    Cylinder size is 32130 (512 byte) blocks

    Cylinders
    Partition Status Type Start End Length %
    ========= ====== ============ ===== === ====== ===
    1 Active Solaris2 1 60799 60799 100

    SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    1. Create a partition
    2. Specify the active partition
    3. Delete a partition
    4. Change between Solaris and Solaris2 Partition IDs
    5. Exit (update disk configuration and exit)
    6. Cancel (exit without updating disk configuration)

    Enter Selection: 6

    #

    So now, what do I type in for the "newfs" command?
    I don't know what the number of sectors is.
    By the way, does the newfs command format the external hard disk?

    Then after the "newfs" command, can I do this command:

    # mount -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0p0 /mnt

  12. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    On Mar 26, 12:40 pm, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    > Michelle wrote:
    > > On Mar 24, 5:11 pm, Michelle wrote:

    > >>I went out and got those 1/2 Terabyte external hard drives from both
    > >>Maxtor and Seagate. When I plugged in its USB cable onto my Solaris
    > >>10 x86 server, it tries to format the hard drive. But that's it. I
    > >>can't mount either drive because the format doesn't even run.

    > >>Is that an external hard drive system that is around 250 GB to 1
    > >>Terabyte that works with Solaris 10? Thanks.

    > > So I must have done something wrong. Can someone post the
    > > instructions on how to format an
    > > external USB hard drive on Solaris x86, and then, mounting it after
    > > the format is completed?
    > > Currently, whenever I plug in the USB cable, Solaris 10 wants to
    > > format the drive, and then,
    > > it just gets stuck there. Thanks.

    > Here's a brief summary of my notes from setting up 400 & 750 GB Seagate
    > drives w/ ufs. Setting up pcfs is similar:
    >
    > 0) disable vold & reboot
    >
    > mv /etc/vold.conf /etc/vold.conf_disabled
    >
    > init 6
    >
    > 1) plug in the drive and get the drive designation
    >
    > rmformat -l
    >
    > 2) clear the old MS cruft
    >
    > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/???? bs=2048 count=10
    >
    > Note: I don't think this was really necessary.
    > My notes don't say why I did it.
    > Probably just habit.
    >
    > 2) get the number of sectors & create primary partition
    >
    > fdisk /dev/rdsk/????
    >
    > 3) format the drive w/ newfs
    >
    > newfs -v [your choice of options] -s number_of_sectors /dev/rdsk/????
    >
    > The hard part was figuring out I needed to give the "-s #_sectors" option.
    >
    > you'll get a message from newfs that the drive returns a size of zero,
    > but a seek to the specified size succeeds so it is using the size you
    > gave it. I've encountered the same message everytime I've formatted a
    > USB drive. I assume it's a error in the USB mass storage driver failing
    > to propagate the information properly.
    >
    > 4) mount -F ufs [your mount options] /dev/dsk/???? /mnt
    >
    > Have Fun!
    > Reg

    Here is what I used to get the sector count:

    # prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0p0
    * /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0p0 partition map
    *
    * Dimensions:
    * 512 bytes/sector
    * 63 sectors/track
    * 255 tracks/cylinder
    * 16065 sectors/cylinder
    * 60800 cylinders
    * 60798 accessible cylinders
    *
    * Flags:
    * 1: unmountable
    * 10: read-only
    *
    * Unallocated space:
    * First Sector Last
    * Sector Count Sector
    * 16065 976703805 976719869
    *
    * First Sector Last
    * Partition Tag Flags Sector Count Sector Mount Directory
    2 5 01 0 976719870 976719869
    8 1 01 0 16065 16064

    So, my command was:

    # newfs -v -s 976719870 /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0p0

    on a West Dig USB drive (500GB) attached to a Sun X2100 + Solaris 10
    X85 08/07

    :

    # rmformat -l
    Looking for devices...
    1. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0p0
    Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci-ide@6/ide@0/sd@0,0
    Connected Device: MAT****A DVD-ROM SR-8178 PZ16
    Device Type: DVD Reader
    2. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0p0
    Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci108e,5348@2,1/storage@6/disk@0,0
    Connected Device: WD 5000AAV External 1.65
    Device Type: Removable
    #

  13. Re: what external hard drive works with Solaris 10, x86?

    I suppose the quicker and easier solution is to use hard drives that incorporate USB and Ethernet, gigabit preferably. We have found that USB keys with 8GB etc work fine and come up as iomega drives plug and play? But external USB HD's just dont.

+ Reply to Thread