Exceed on Vista ? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Exceed on Vista ? - Solaris ; Hi there, I have a copy of Exceed 7.0, which I use on my Win XP pro machine to get access to the Solaris CDE, but this version will not run on my Vista laptop. Do I need to get ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Exceed on Vista ?

    Hi there,

    I have a copy of Exceed 7.0, which I use on my Win XP pro machine to get
    access to the Solaris CDE, but this version will not run on my Vista laptop.

    Do I need to get the very latest version of Exceed to run on Vista ? or is
    there an interim version which I might find on Ebay ?

    Or, maybe even better, is there a freeware / shareware product which might
    provide a bit of this functionality ? I can live without all the FTP/Telnet
    and terminal emulation add ons - all I need is a GUI ....

    Any suggestions ??

    Regards

    Frederick

  2. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    I am happy with Xmanager.
    you may try it

  3. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On 2008-03-24, Frederick Smith wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a copy of Exceed 7.0, which I use on my Win XP pro machine to get
    > access to the Solaris CDE, but this version will not run on my Vista laptop.
    >
    > Do I need to get the very latest version of Exceed to run on Vista ? or is
    > there an interim version which I might find on Ebay ?
    >
    > Or, maybe even better, is there a freeware / shareware product which might
    > provide a bit of this functionality ? I can live without all the FTP/Telnet
    > and terminal emulation add ons - all I need is a GUI ....
    >
    > Any suggestions ??

    cygwin.

    Assuming it runs on Fista.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  4. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    Frederick Smith wrote:

    > Or, maybe even better, is there a freeware / shareware product which
    > might provide a bit of this functionality ?

    Try Xming
    http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

  5. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    In article <47e76e64$1_4@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>,
    Frederick Smith wrote:
    >Do I need to get the very latest version of Exceed to run on Vista ? or is

    I use Exceed 9 under Vista.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  6. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:03:21 +0000, Frederick Smith wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a copy of Exceed 7.0, which I use on my Win XP pro machine to get
    > access to the Solaris CDE, but this version will not run on my Vista
    > laptop.
    >
    > Do I need to get the very latest version of Exceed to run on Vista ? or
    > is there an interim version which I might find on Ebay ?
    >
    > Or, maybe even better, is there a freeware / shareware product which
    > might provide a bit of this functionality ? I can live without all the
    > FTP/Telnet and terminal emulation add ons - all I need is a GUI ....
    >
    > Any suggestions ??
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > Frederick

    Or, you could have a look at Kenton Lee's X/Motif page and try some other
    products which do the same thing. I've been particularly impressed with
    xmgr - it will do several sessions at once. They seem to have an eval
    copy which does not expire.

  7. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    Huge wrote:

    > cygwin.
    >
    > Assuming it runs on Fista.

    believe it or not, cygwinX works quite well on vista

    ~k
    --
    The Lumber Cartel Unit 149 , 7^3rd Order Prefect False
    Christian Scum since 1992 {[stupide c'est que stupide fait]}

  8. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On 2008-03-24, Keith H wrote:
    > Huge wrote:
    >

    >> cygwin.
    >>
    >> Assuming it runs on Fista.
    >>

    > believe it or not, cygwinX works quite well on vista

    I suppose I'm glad to hear that. I imagine my employers will eventually foist
    Fista on me and it's good to know that one of the things that makes using
    Windows barely tolerable when I have no choice will be available.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  9. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    Gentlemen,

    Thanks one and all for your suggestions.

    I have downloaded Xming, and managed to get it working - I am quite
    impressed, as it seems to run the Java Desktop faster than the console !

    I was getting pretty close to the "XP solution" though ...

    Regards

    Frederick

    "Richard B. Gilbert" wrote in message
    > Frederick Smith wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I have a copy of Exceed 7.0, which I use on my Win XP pro machine to get
    >> access to the Solaris CDE, but this version will not run on my Vista
    >> laptop.
    >>
    >> Do I need to get the very latest version of Exceed to run on Vista ? or
    >> is there an interim version which I might find on Ebay ?
    >>
    >> Or, maybe even better, is there a freeware / shareware product which
    >> might provide a bit of this functionality ? I can live without all the
    >> FTP/Telnet and terminal emulation add ons - all I need is a GUI ....
    >>
    >> Any suggestions ??
    >>

    > Yeah! Install W/XP in place of Vista!

  10. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    Huge wrote:

    > I suppose I'm glad to hear that. I imagine my employers will eventually foist
    > Fista on me

    I get the feeling there are a large number of corporations turning from
    Vista back to XP.

  11. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:58:41 +0000, Dave wrote:
    >Huge wrote:

    >> I suppose I'm glad to hear that. I imagine my employers will eventually foist
    >> Fista on me

    >I get the feeling there are a large number of corporations turning from
    >Vista back to XP.

    Most corporations won't touch vista with a twenty foot pole. I've yet to
    see a single vista machine anywhere in the workplace with the exception of
    newly delivered machines waiting to get wiped clean for a corporate XP
    image.

  12. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On Mar 26, 12:40*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
    > *I've yet to
    > see a single vista machine anywhere in the workplace with the exception of
    > newly delivered machines waiting to get wiped clean for a corporate XP
    > image.

    I know at least one company who has some vista - they have to be able
    to respond to questions and bug reports from customers who use their
    products on Vista. However, they are not using it for daily office
    work...

  13. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    "AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:58:41 +0000, Dave
    > wrote:
    >>Huge wrote:

    >>> I suppose I'm glad to hear that. I imagine my employers will eventually
    >>> foist
    >>> Fista on me

    >>I get the feeling there are a large number of corporations turning from
    >>Vista back to XP.

    > Most corporations won't touch vista with a twenty foot pole. I've yet to
    > see a single vista machine anywhere in the workplace with the exception of
    > newly delivered machines waiting to get wiped clean for a corporate XP
    > image.

    Many people do too, and MS gets a double dip. Paid for Vista at the OEM and
    then a XP copy downgrade. What a racket.

    But to the title, why run Exceed or Reflections X? Both are more expensive
    than the next option I will present. One which I use all the time.

    VMWare Workstation ($189) or VitualBox (Free). If you are looking for
    cheap, VirtualBox but Workstation is better.

    Then load Fedora or your favourite distro. When you login you have a full
    X-Server and desktop. Plus, you can run OpenOffice in Linux if your
    corporate MS nazi's will not allow you to load it on Windows.

    Exceed and Reflections are far too expensive.

  14. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:08:57 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 07:58:41 +0000, Dave
    >> wrote:

    >>>I get the feeling there are a large number of corporations turning from
    >>>Vista back to XP.

    >> Most corporations won't touch vista with a twenty foot pole. I've yet to
    >> see a single vista machine anywhere in the workplace with the exception of
    >> newly delivered machines waiting to get wiped clean for a corporate XP
    >> image.

    >Many people do too, and MS gets a double dip. Paid for Vista at the OEM and
    >then a XP copy downgrade. What a racket.

    >But to the title, why run Exceed or Reflections X? Both are more expensive
    >than the next option I will present. One which I use all the time.

    >VMWare Workstation ($189) or VitualBox (Free). If you are looking for
    >cheap, VirtualBox but Workstation is better.

    >Then load Fedora or your favourite distro. When you login you have a full
    >X-Server and desktop. Plus, you can run OpenOffice in Linux if your
    >corporate MS nazi's will not allow you to load it on Windows.

    >Exceed and Reflections are far too expensive.

    cygwin will run an x-server without the overhead of emulation. Open it's bash
    window, type startx and you're ready to go. I ssh using putty to remote linux
    systems and set the display environmental variable back to my windoze box
    where the x-windows will appear. cygwin can also do a XDMCP session
    if you want to do the equivelent of logging into a desktop manager.

  15. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On 2008-03-27, AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:08:57 GMT, Canuck57 wrote:

    >>Exceed and Reflections are far too expensive.

    > cygwin will run an x-server without the overhead of emulation.

    It's what I do. Works a treat.

    > Open it's bash
    > window,

    There's a DOS batch file (giggle) somewhere in the distro called
    "startxwin.bat" which runs up the X server and starts bash in an Xterm.

    > type startx and you're ready to go. I ssh using putty to remote linux
    > systems and set the display environmental variable back to my windoze box
    > where the x-windows will appear. cygwin can also do a XDMCP session
    > if you want to do the equivelent of logging into a desktop manager.

    x3270 works well, too, for connecting to those pesky IBM boxes.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  16. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    Frederick Smith wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I have a copy of Exceed 7.0, which I use on my Win XP pro machine to get
    > access to the Solaris CDE, but this version will not run on my Vista
    > laptop.
    >
    > Do I need to get the very latest version of Exceed to run on Vista ? or
    > is there an interim version which I might find on Ebay ?
    >
    > Or, maybe even better, is there a freeware / shareware product which
    > might provide a bit of this functionality ? I can live without all the
    > FTP/Telnet and terminal emulation add ons - all I need is a GUI ....
    >
    > Any suggestions ??
    >
    > Regards
    >

    > Frederick

    Did you try the backwards compatibility mode option in vista?

  17. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On 25 Mar 2008 09:03:37 GMT, Huge wrote:

    >On 2008-03-24, Keith H wrote:
    >> Huge wrote:
    >>

    >>> cygwin.
    >>>
    >>> Assuming it runs on Fista.
    >>>

    >> believe it or not, cygwinX works quite well on vista

    >I suppose I'm glad to hear that. I imagine my employers will eventually foist
    >Fista on me and it's good to know that one of the things that makes using
    >Windows barely tolerable when I have no choice will be available.

    What is Fista? Does it run under Vista?

    >--

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  18. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:06:07 +1100, Yep wrote:
    >Frederick Smith wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I have a copy of Exceed 7.0, which I use on my Win XP pro machine to get
    >> access to the Solaris CDE, but this version will not run on my Vista
    >> laptop.
    >>
    >> Do I need to get the very latest version of Exceed to run on Vista ? or
    >> is there an interim version which I might find on Ebay ?
    >>
    >> Or, maybe even better, is there a freeware / shareware product which
    >> might provide a bit of this functionality ? I can live without all the
    >> FTP/Telnet and terminal emulation add ons - all I need is a GUI ....
    >>
    >> Any suggestions ??
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>

    >> Frederick

    >Did you try the backwards compatibility mode option in vista?

    Is that the mode that removes all the bloat and nagware?
    Does it reduce vista's 4 gig memory requirement and make it run
    faster than a 600 mhz P3?

  19. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    Huge expounded in news:fsi043$1kh$1@anubis.demon.co.uk:

    > On 2008-03-27, AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:08:57 GMT, Canuck57
    >> wrote:

    >>>Exceed and Reflections are far too expensive.

    >> cygwin will run an x-server without the overhead of emulation.

    > It's what I do. Works a treat.
    >
    >> Open it's bash
    >> window,

    > There's a DOS batch file (giggle) somewhere in the distro called
    > "startxwin.bat" which runs up the X server and starts bash in an
    > Xterm.

    Yep. With a little customization I have that
    automatically invoked when I login. Then
    with another custom bat file and a shortcut,
    I have an icon in the bottom left which
    brings up a new Xterm session.

    The only thing I haven't worked out yet,
    is how to get Xterm to switch automatically
    to "Huge" font. For now I manually right-click
    select Huge for my feeble eyesight.

    But Cygwin's X server is the charm, and gives
    you a unix like environment to do those other
    things without a cmd window (like "find"). This
    is expecially great for company laptops where
    they don't want Linux installed.

    > x3270 works well, too, for connecting to those pesky IBM boxes.

    Heh, heh, I've used that also, but I wished it
    would support a mouse like Extra!-Extreme does.
    But otherwise c3270/x3270 is great when you need
    to script downloads.

    Warren.

  20. Re: Exceed on Vista ?

    Barry OGrady expounded in

    > On 25 Mar 2008 09:03:37 GMT, Huge wrote:

    >>> believe it or not, cygwinX works quite well on vista

    >>I suppose I'm glad to hear that. I imagine my employers will
    >>eventually foist Fista on me and it's good to know that one of the
    >>things that makes using Windows barely tolerable when I have no choice
    >>will be available.

    > What is Fista? Does it run under Vista?
    > Barry

    "Hostile la Veesta"