boot manager program - Solaris

This is a discussion on boot manager program - Solaris ; Please advice me with a good totally free boot manager to choose what hard drive to boot. Also I have done something wrong after many trials for boot managers that the blue screen appears to me (scanning devices screens) before ...

  1. boot manager program

    Please advice me with a good totally free boot manager to choose what
    hard drive to boot. Also I have done something wrong after many trials
    for boot managers that the blue screen appears to me (scanning devices
    screens) before the choices of Solaris 10 appears.
    How can I resotore the Solaris 10 boot menu.
    Thanks

  2. Re: boot manager program

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:20:28 -0700, happytoday wrote:

    > Please advice me with a good totally free boot manager to choose what
    > hard drive to boot. Also I have done something wrong after many trials
    > for boot managers that the blue screen appears to me (scanning devices
    > screens) before the choices of Solaris 10 appears. How can I resotore
    > the Solaris 10 boot menu. Thanks

    There is nothing wrong with the one which came with Solaris. You are
    simply too stupid to use it.

  3. Re: boot manager program

    On Mar 24, 12:19 am, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 08:20:28 -0700, happytoday wrote:
    > > Please advice me with a good totally free boot manager to choose what
    > > hard drive to boot. Also I have done something wrong after many trials
    > > for boot managers that the blue screen appears to me (scanning devices
    > > screens) before the choices of Solaris 10 appears. How can I resotore
    > > the Solaris 10 boot menu. Thanks

    > There is nothing wrong with the one which came with Solaris. You are
    > simply too stupid to use it.

    Thanks for insulting. Please guide me to documentation of using it ?

  4. Re: boot manager program

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:03:26 -0700, happytoday wrote:
    > On Mar 24, 12:19 am, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> There is nothing wrong with the one which came with Solaris. You are
    >> simply too stupid to use it.

    > Thanks for insulting. Please guide me to documentation of using it ?

    You are quite welcome; you deserve it.

    man grub

    Read /boot/grub/menu.lst

  5. Re: boot manager program

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:07:17 -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:03:26 -0700, happytoday wrote:
    >> On Mar 24, 12:19 am, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >>> There is nothing wrong with the one which came with Solaris. You are
    >>> simply too stupid to use it.

    >> Thanks for insulting. Please guide me to documentation of using it ?

    > You are quite welcome; you deserve it.
    >
    > man grub
    >
    > Read /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Here, I'll be somewhat generous. This system dual-boots Solaris and
    Linux; the folowing is what I added to Solaris /boot/grub/menu.lst:

    title Debian Linux
    root (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

  6. Re: boot manager program

    On Mar 22, 10:20 am, happytoday wrote:
    > Please advice me with a good totally free boot manager to choose what
    > hard drive to boot. Also I have done something wrong after many trials
    > for boot managers that the blue screen appears to me (scanning devices
    > screens) before the choices of Solaris 10 appears.
    > How can I resotore the Solaris 10 boot menu.
    > Thanks

    x86 hardware will boot from the active partition of the designated
    boot disk. The boot disk is selected in the BIOS, and the primary
    partition is selected using fdisk on Solaris or diskpart on
    WindowsXP. A PC can have up to 4 "primary" partitions, but only 1 can
    be marked as active at a time. Make sure you make the Solaris
    partition the active fdisk partition and modify the grub menu.lst file
    to add boot options for other partitions. The boot manager for
    Solaris was converted to grub in one of the Solaris 10 updates. If
    you're not booting with grub, do yourself a favor and get the latest
    release of Solaris.

    If you're already using grub and it's somehow messed up, look at the
    man page for installgrub

  7. Re: boot manager program

    Use GRUB. It's open source boot manager, and it's included to Solatis 10.
    To fix your mistakes read manuals for GRUB.

  8. Re: boot manager program

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:35:48 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > The other responses are referring to the newer boot scheme
    > based on grub, which you don't have based on what you said.

    The OP did say Solaris 10, and that release does use grub.

  9. Re: boot manager program

    On Mar 24, 9:01 pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:35:48 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > > The other responses are referring to the newer boot scheme
    > > based on grub, which you don't have based on what you said.

    > The OP did say Solaris 10, and that release does use grub.

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...ot_solaris.jsp

    The initial release of Solaris 10 for x86 did not include the GRUB
    boot loader. From http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...ot_solaris.jsp

    The Solaris 10 3/05 OS and earlier releases use a Sun-developed
    bootloader that includes an interactive shell and a menu-driven device
    configuration assistant based on realmode drivers. Starting with the
    Solaris 10 1/06 release, the open source GRUB or GNU GRand Unified
    Bootloader is used as the bootloader. It sounds like you're using the
    initial S10 release. Upgrade already!!!

  10. Re: boot manager program

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:05:37 -0700, ITguy wrote:

    > On Mar 24, 9:01 pm, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> The OP did say Solaris 10, and that release does use grub.

    > The initial release of Solaris 10 for x86 did not include the GRUB
    > boot loader. From http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...ot_solaris.jsp

    I was relying on what I have installed now, Solaris 10 update 4.

    > It sounds like you're using the initial S10 release. Upgrade already!!!

    I can't get much more upgraded.

    [duhring@einstein ~]$ cat /etc/release
    Solaris Express Community Edition snv_84 X86
    Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    Assembled 25 February 2008

  11. Re: boot manager program

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > I can't get much more upgraded.
    >
    > [duhring@einstein ~]$ cat /etc/release
    > Solaris Express Community Edition snv_84 X86
    > Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    > Use is subject to license terms.
    > Assembled 25 February 2008

    Meanwhile you CAN

    # cat /etc/release
    Solaris Express Community Edition snv_85 X86
    Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Use is subject to license terms.
    Assembled 10 March 2008

  12. Re: boot manager program

    On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:27:22 +0100, prime_number wrote:

    > Solaris Express Community Edition snv_85 X86

    And I had just checked 2 days ago!

  13. Re: boot manager program

    On Mar 25, 3:12*am, "Daniil M. Baturin" wrote:
    > Use GRUB. It's open source boot manager, and it's included to Solatis 10.
    > To fix your mistakes read manuals for GRUB.

    Oka . I have 2 windows options . one that have MRB boot has that
    command:

    rootverify(hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

    the other backup harddrive :
    rootverify(hd1,0)
    chainloader +1

    But when I boot from it id did not go to windows . Any suggestions ?

+ Reply to Thread