X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install - Solaris

This is a discussion on X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install - Solaris ; Hi, I am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine with AMD Phenom quad-core and an EVGA GeForce Nvidia 8600 GTS PCI-E 256 MB graphics card. I am also trying to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris- x86-169.12.run to ...

  1. X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

    Hi,

    I am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine with AMD Phenom
    quad-core and an EVGA GeForce Nvidia 8600 GTS PCI-E 256 MB graphics
    card. I am also trying to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-
    x86-169.12.run to provide the correct drivers for the graphics card.

    I tried to install Solaris 10 using the default graphic installation
    mode. The installer probes the pc for installed hardware and I accept
    the hardware config recommended by the installer but the pc locks up
    when it begins to test this hardware config. I reboot and it locks up
    before entering graphics mode. A Shell prompt is displayed and I can
    navigate the file system. The system says that I have root access but
    when I try to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run it
    fails with a lot messages saying I do not have permission.

    I tried to reinstall using Text mode. Near the end of the install I
    accepted the hardware config the installer recommends and the graphic
    install fails when it begins to test this hardware config but this a
    command line login prompt was displayed. I login as root and install
    the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run. I reviewed the
    xorg.conf file and it looked correct according to the NVIDIA setup
    instructions. I rebooted using the command reboot -- -r but after the
    reboot the pc locked up when it tried to start the graphics.

    I reinstalled again using Text installation mode. The installer probes
    the pc for installed hardware and I accept the hardware config
    recommended by the installer but the pc locks up when it begins to
    test this hardware config. This time a login prompt was NOT displayed
    so I could not login and install driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-
    x86-169.12.run.

    How can I login as root so I can experiment with different settings in
    xorg.conf?

    How do I install Solaris so that if the graphics install fails a
    command line login prompt will be displayed so I can log in and
    install the NVIDIA driver file?

    Is there a way to login as root using the shell?

    Thanks in advance,

    Ken

  2. Re: X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

    On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:48:01 -0700, Ken wrote:

    > I am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine with AMD Phenom
    > quad-core and an EVGA GeForce Nvidia 8600 GTS PCI-E 256 MB graphics
    > card. I am also trying to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-
    > x86-169.12.run to provide the correct drivers for the graphics card.

    Do not attempt to replace Sun's Nvidia drivers. Doing so will make the
    system unusable and I speak from experience.

    > I tried to install Solaris 10 using the default graphic installation
    > mode. The installer probes the pc for installed hardware and I accept
    > the hardware config recommended by the installer but the pc locks up
    > when it begins to test this hardware config. I reboot and it locks up
    > before entering graphics mode. A Shell prompt is displayed and I can
    > navigate the file system. The system says that I have root access but
    > when I try to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run it
    > fails with a lot messages saying I do not have permission.

    Lucky for you. Use /usr/sbin/kdmconfig to configure your X driver.

    If you really want the 169.12 drivers then download and install the latest
    Sun Express Community Edition.

    http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/sol_ex_dvd

  3. Re: X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

    Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:48:01 -0700, Ken wrote:
    >

    >>I am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine with AMD Phenom
    >>quad-core and an EVGA GeForce Nvidia 8600 GTS PCI-E 256 MB graphics
    >>card. I am also trying to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-
    >>x86-169.12.run to provide the correct drivers for the graphics card.

    > Do not attempt to replace Sun's Nvidia drivers. Doing so will make the
    > system unusable and I speak from experience.

    I've been using the Nvidia driver on my Ultra 20 w/ 1/06 for almost 2
    years w/o a single hiccup. Never had any problems w/ the Solaris
    drivers from Nvidia on several systems other than having the installer
    create bad xorg.conf files which is certainly not Nvidia's fault.

    As for the rest, I can't comment since I haven't fiddle w/ the installer
    for a while. Except for disk layouts I tend to take the minimal
    defaults and then manually fix up the config. I know I *should* do
    better, but for a single system it's not been worth bothering.

    Good Luck!
    Reg

  4. Re: X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 07:48:04 -0500, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> Do not attempt to replace Sun's Nvidia drivers. Doing so will make the
    >> system unusable and I speak from experience.

    > I've been using the Nvidia driver on my Ultra 20 w/ 1/06 for almost 2
    > years w/o a single hiccup. Never had any problems w/ the Solaris
    > drivers from Nvidia on several systems other than having the installer
    > create bad xorg.conf files which is certainly not Nvidia's fault.

    It's possible to recover from the errors by reinstalling the original
    drivers from CD/DVD. It may well be that my experience - twice - was the
    exception.

    > As for the rest, I can't comment since I haven't fiddle w/ the installer
    > for a while. Except for disk layouts I tend to take the minimal
    > defaults and then manually fix up the config. I know I *should* do
    > better, but for a single system it's not been worth bothering.

    Creating a new xorg.conf file is relatively easy to do if you have the
    specs for your monitor. Perhaps even the original /etc/X11/.xorg.conf
    file would work properly.

  5. Re: X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

    In article <3b74cf60-118b-422a-9410-564796c9e814@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    Ken wrote:
    >Is there a way to login as root using the shell?

    You can boot single-user from GRUB.

    Solaris 10 System Administrator Collection >>
    System Administration Guide: Basic Administration >>
    11. x86: GRUB Based Booting (Tasks) >>
    x86: Booting a System in the GRUB Based Boot Environment >>
    x86: How to Boot a System to Run Level S (Single-User Level)

    Then you can disable the dtlogin service with dtconfig(1)

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  6. Re: X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

    On Mar 18, 3:48*pm, Ken wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine with AMD Phenom
    > quad-core and an EVGA GeForce Nvidia 8600 GTS PCI-E 256 MB graphics
    > card. I am also trying to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-
    > x86-169.12.run to provide the correct drivers for the graphics card.
    >
    > I tried to install Solaris 10 using the default graphic installation
    > mode. The installer probes the pc for installed hardware and I accept
    > the hardware config recommended by the installer but the pc locks up
    > when it begins to test this hardware config. I reboot and it locks up
    > before entering graphics mode. A Shell prompt is displayed and I can
    > navigate the file system. The system says that I have root access but
    > when I try to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run it
    > fails with a lot messages saying I do not have permission.
    >
    > I tried to reinstall using Text mode. Near the end of the install I
    > accepted the hardware config the installer recommends and the graphic
    > install fails when it begins to test this hardware config but this a
    > command line login prompt was displayed. I login as root and install
    > the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run. I reviewed the
    > xorg.conf file and it looked correct according to the NVIDIA setup
    > instructions. I rebooted using the command reboot -- -r but after the
    > reboot the pc locked up when it tried to start the graphics.
    >
    > I reinstalled again using Text installation mode. The installer probes
    > the pc for installed hardware and I accept the hardware config
    > recommended by the installer but the pc locks up when it begins to
    > test this hardware config. This time a login prompt was NOT displayed
    > so I could not login and install driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-
    > x86-169.12.run.
    >
    > How can I login as root so I can experiment with different settings in
    > xorg.conf?
    >
    > How do I install Solaris so that if the graphics install fails a
    > command line login prompt will be displayed so I can log in and
    > install the NVIDIA driver file?
    >
    > Is there a way to login as root using the shell?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Ken

    Thank you for the help. Now I can login as root in single-user level.

    I installed NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run driver file successfully.

    I used the /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig command to create a basic xorg.conf
    file. After reboot
    it locked up when I tried to start the graphics login.

    From what I have read I need to use kdmconfig to change from Xsun
    server to Xorg server but when I try to run the command kdmconfig I
    get the message kdmconfig not found.

    Where is kdmconfig located and how do I start kdmconfig?

    I there some other method to change from Xsun server to Xorg server?

    In single-user level what command do I use to startx?

    Thanks

  7. Re: X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

    On Mar 20, 8:04*am, Ken wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 3:48*pm, Ken wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > I am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine with AMD Phenom
    > > quad-core and an EVGA GeForce Nvidia 8600 GTS PCI-E 256 MB graphics
    > > card. I am also trying to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-
    > > x86-169.12.run to provide the correct drivers for the graphics card.

    > > I tried to install Solaris 10 using the default graphic installation
    > > mode. The installer probes the pc for installed hardware and I accept
    > > the hardware config recommended by the installer but the pc locks up
    > > when it begins to test this hardware config. I reboot and it locks up
    > > before entering graphics mode. A Shell prompt is displayed and I can
    > > navigate the file system. The system says that I have root access but
    > > when I try to install the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run it
    > > fails with a lot messages saying I do not have permission.

    > > I tried to reinstall using Text mode. Near the end of the install I
    > > accepted the hardware config the installer recommends and the graphic
    > > install fails when it begins to test this hardware config but this a
    > > command line login prompt was displayed. I login as root and install
    > > the driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run. I reviewed the
    > > xorg.conf file and it looked correct according to the NVIDIA setup
    > > instructions. I rebooted using the command reboot -- -r but after the
    > > reboot the pc locked up when it tried to start the graphics.

    > > I reinstalled again using Text installation mode. The installer probes
    > > the pc for installed hardware and I accept the hardware config
    > > recommended by the installer but the pc locks up when it begins to
    > > test this hardware config. This time a login prompt was NOT displayed
    > > so I could not login and install driver file NVIDIA-Solaris-
    > > x86-169.12.run.

    > > How can I login as root so I can experiment with different settings in
    > > xorg.conf?

    > > How do I install Solaris so that if the graphics install fails a
    > > command line login prompt will be displayed so I can log in and
    > > install the NVIDIA driver file?

    > > Is there a way to login as root using the shell?

    > > Thanks in advance,

    > > Ken

    > Thank you for the help. Now I can login as root in single-user level.
    >
    > I installed NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-169.12.run driver file successfully.
    >
    > I used the /usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig command to create a basic xorg.conf
    > file. After reboot
    > it locked up when I tried to start the graphics login.
    >
    > From what I have read I need to use kdmconfig to change from Xsun
    > server to Xorg server but when I try to run the command kdmconfig I
    > get the message kdmconfig not found.
    >
    > Where is kdmconfig located and how do I start kdmconfig?
    >
    > I there some other method to change from Xsun server to Xorg server?
    >
    > In single-user level what command do I use to startx?
    >
    > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

    Questions:

    1. Is there a method for identifying which X server the system is
    using?

    2. Any ideas on where kdmconfig should be located in Solaris 10 or how
    to find kdmconfig?

    3. Is there a method other than using kdmconfig, for changing from
    Xsun server to Xorg server?

    Thanks,

    Ken

    The details of my trying to run kdmconfig are listed below.

    I was told that using the command below would run kdmconfig:

    # /usr/openwin/bin/kdmconfig

    I ran this command and got the message "bin not found"

    I used the find command to search for kdmconfig and got the message:

    # /usr/openwin/sbin/kdmconfig

    I try to run kdmconfig with the command below:

    # /usr/openwin/sbin/kdmconfig

    I got the message "kdmconfig not found".

    I cd to the directory that kdmconfig is reported to be in and try to
    run it.

    # cd /usr/openwin/sbin/

    issue command:

    # ./kdmconfig

    I got the message "kdmconfig not found".

    It looks like kdmconfig is missing or in some other directory.

  8. Re: X Server Fails To Start on NIVIDIA At Solaris Install

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:04:39 -0700, Ken wrote:

    > Where is kdmconfig located and how do I start kdmconfig?

    Did you look in /usr/sbin?

    > I there some other method to change from Xsun server to Xorg server?

    kdmconfig gives you the option.

    > In single-user level what command do I use to startx?

    Solaris does not have startx.

    # exit

+ Reply to Thread