Mainboard with 8 SATA ports? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Mainboard with 8 SATA ports? - Solaris ; Hello I'm perusing the HCL trying to find a PC-level mainboard with 8 builtin SATA ports for use with Solaris 10, but I'm not having much success. Does anybody have a similar setup working? I'm only interested in the SATA ...

  1. Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    Hello

    I'm perusing the HCL trying to find a PC-level mainboard with 8
    builtin SATA ports for use with Solaris 10, but I'm not having much
    success.

    Does anybody have a similar setup working?

    I'm only interested in the SATA ports and basic system stability, I
    don't care about multimedia. A working onboard NIC would be nice too,
    I guess.

    TIA
    Toby

  2. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    etatoby@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I'm perusing the HCL trying to find a PC-level mainboard with 8
    > builtin SATA ports for use with Solaris 10, but I'm not having much
    > success.

    It may be easier to just buy a sata controller card and use those in
    addition to the onboard sata. I've never seen a system with 8 sata ports
    onboard, although it may exist.

  3. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    > It may be easier to just buy a sata controller card and use those in
    > addition to the onboard sata. I've never seen a system with 8 sata ports
    > onboard, although it may exist.

    I was under the impression that relatively cheap sata cards (Promise
    etc.) didn't run under solaris 10 and that 8-port onboard sata was
    common. Well then, I'm probably mistaken.

    I'd be grateful if you could suggest me a combination of supported
    mainboard (or brand, or chipset... preferably Athlon 64 based) plus a
    not-too-expensive sata add-on card.
    I'd rather use the stable Solaris 10 instead of a development version,
    if that makes any difference (I guess it does)

    Toby

  4. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:35:40 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >etatoby@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I'm perusing the HCL trying to find a PC-level mainboard with 8
    >> builtin SATA ports for use with Solaris 10, but I'm not having much
    >> success.

    >It may be easier to just buy a sata controller card and use those in
    >addition to the onboard sata. I've never seen a system with 8 sata ports
    >onboard, although it may exist.

    I have. Often a motherboard will offer two SATA controllers, one off the
    main southbridge, and the other offering some other feature such as software
    raid. For example, my asus a8n-sli has 4 SATA ports off of the nforce4
    chipset, and another 4 SATA ports off of an SIL3114.

    My solaris file server uses a server motherboard w/ 4 SATA ports and
    I've got two PCIx cards each with 2 SATA ports to bring the total
    up to 8.

  5. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    etatoby@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I'm perusing the HCL trying to find a PC-level mainboard with 8
    > builtin SATA ports for use with Solaris 10, but I'm not having much
    > success.
    >
    > Does anybody have a similar setup working?

    Yes, the only one I know and use is the ASUS L1N64-SLI which has 12.
    Otherwise the limit tends to be 6.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  6. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    etatoby@gmail.com wrote:
    >> It may be easier to just buy a sata controller card and use those in
    >> addition to the onboard sata. I've never seen a system with 8 sata ports
    >> onboard, although it may exist.

    > I was under the impression that relatively cheap sata cards (Promise
    > etc.) didn't run under solaris 10 and that 8-port onboard sata was
    > common. Well then, I'm probably mistaken.

    one person said there is a board with 8 ports. I'm not sure that's a
    reason to buy a board though.

    > I'd be grateful if you could suggest me a combination of supported
    > mainboard (or brand, or chipset... preferably Athlon 64 based) plus a
    > not-too-expensive sata add-on card.
    > I'd rather use the stable Solaris 10 instead of a development version,
    > if that makes any difference (I guess it does)

    I generally suggest against AMD based boards because the supporting
    chipsets and embedded ethernet tend to be junk and just cause problems,
    especially with solaris.

    I have a promise 4 port TX4? (2 external, 2 internal) card which I've
    never tried with solaris. If I have time I can test it out on a 08/07
    machine and see what happens. I don't recall what chipset is on the card.

  7. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    Cydrome Leader wrote:

    > I generally suggest against AMD based boards because the supporting
    > chipsets and embedded ethernet tend to be junk and just cause problems,
    > especially with solaris.

    I'd dispute that claim, I have a number of AMD based boards here and I
    use the built in Ethernet on all of them without issues. The
    controllers certainly aren't "enterprise class", but those tend to cost
    significantly more than most PC motherboards.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  8. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>
    >> I generally suggest against AMD based boards because the supporting
    >> chipsets and embedded ethernet tend to be junk and just cause problems,
    >> especially with solaris.
    >>

    > I'd dispute that claim, I have a number of AMD based boards here and I
    > use the built in Ethernet on all of them without issues. The
    > controllers certainly aren't "enterprise class", but those tend to cost
    > significantly more than most PC motherboards.

    For every post you can find about people having problems with solaris and
    intel gig or broadcomm gig network chipsets I'm sure I can find 50 from
    people that are having problems with third rate network chipsets on cheapo
    motherboards.

    Solaris is pretty fussy about hardware. You're going to pay one way or
    another to keep it happy, and it's usually cheaper to get a tried and true
    onboard nic than to buy a separate card later.

  9. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >> Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>> I generally suggest against AMD based boards because the supporting
    >>> chipsets and embedded ethernet tend to be junk and just cause problems,
    >>> especially with solaris.
    >>>

    >> I'd dispute that claim, I have a number of AMD based boards here and I
    >> use the built in Ethernet on all of them without issues. The
    >> controllers certainly aren't "enterprise class", but those tend to cost
    >> significantly more than most PC motherboards.

    > For every post you can find about people having problems with solaris and
    > intel gig or broadcomm gig network chipsets I'm sure I can find 50 from
    > people that are having problems with third rate network chipsets on cheapo
    > motherboards.

    Which tend to be Realtek.

    > Solaris is pretty fussy about hardware. You're going to pay one way or
    > another to keep it happy, and it's usually cheaper to get a tried and true
    > onboard nic than to buy a separate card later.

    From my experience, the nVidia NIC falls into that category, along with
    their SATA controller.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  10. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:02:10 +1300, Ian Collins wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:

    >> Solaris is pretty fussy about hardware. You're going to pay one way or
    >> another to keep it happy, and it's usually cheaper to get a tried and
    >> true onboard nic than to buy a separate card later.

    > From my experience, the nVidia NIC falls into that category, along with
    > their SATA controller.

    I have nvb_83a on two systems using the NVidia chipsets and both SATA
    controllers work well. The on-board NICs are another matter but since I
    have a supply of old Intel 82558 NICs the ones on-board are no real
    problem.

  11. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    Thanks for all the input

    Boards with more than 6 builtin sata ports are in fact quite expensive
    and hard to come by, so I've settled on a Gigabyte M57SLI-S4, nForce
    570, 6 SATA ports, Marvell 88E1116 NIC. From what I read here it
    shouldn't cause problems, right?

    Toby

  12. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    MS wrote:

    > So, if anyone out there is able to solve the driver's problem of Solaris -
    > please make my day!

    Try the nfo driver from:

    http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

    Seemed to work fine for me w/ the ethernet in a GeForce 7000m chipset
    running 8/07. Just follow the instructions.

    good luck,
    Reg

  13. Re: Mainboard with 8 SATA ports?

    etatoby@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I'm perusing the HCL trying to find a PC-level mainboard with 8
    > builtin SATA ports for use with Solaris 10, but I'm not having much
    > success.
    >
    > Does anybody have a similar setup working?

    Some posted in another place that these work well:

    http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx...22&modelmenu=1

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread