need help installing rsync - Solaris

This is a discussion on need help installing rsync - Solaris ; so i was told this would be easy - installing rsync-2.6.9 on an intel box running solaris x86 (11/06). anyone interested in helping diagnose the errors i get when issuing the make command? $ ./configure ... appears to finish successfully. ...

  1. need help installing rsync

    so i was told this would be easy - installing rsync-2.6.9 on an intel
    box running solaris x86 (11/06). anyone interested in helping
    diagnose the errors i get when issuing the make command?

    $ ./configure ... appears to finish successfully.
    $ make ... fatal error

    portion of my config.log file:
    configure:11315: checking for library containing libiconv_open
    configure:11356: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest -g -O2 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -
    Wall -W conftest.c -lsocket -lnsl >&5
    Undefined first referenced
    symbol in file
    libiconv_open /var/tmp//ccEhsDLl.o
    ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    configure:11362: $? = 1
    configure: failed program was:
    | /* confdefs.h. */

    is this telling me that libiconv_open cannot be located, as in i have
    a problem with my Path?

  2. Re: need help installing rsync

    mrcrouter@gmail.com wrote:
    > so i was told this would be easy - installing rsync-2.6.9 on an intel
    > box running solaris x86 (11/06). anyone interested in helping
    > diagnose the errors i get when issuing the make command?

    I can't remember off hand, but is rsync bundled with that release? It's
    in /bin in recent Express builds. If not, have a look in /usr/sfw/bin/

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: need help installing rsync

    In article <1609d79d-8b39-4574-89a7-87f56382f59e@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    wrote:
    >so i was told this would be easy - installing rsync-2.6.9 on an intel
    >box running solaris x86 (11/06). anyone interested in helping
    >diagnose the errors i get when issuing the make command?

    It builds easily as a 64-bit binary with Studio 12.
    $ env PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin CC=cc \
    CFLAGS="-xO3 -m64" LDFLAGS=-m64 ./configure --prefix=/opt/rsync
    $ env PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin make

    Studio 12 can be fetched here:

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  4. Re: need help installing rsync

    On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 13:22:12 -0800, mrcrouter wrote:

    > so i was told this would be easy - installing rsync-2.6.9 on an intel
    > box running solaris x86 (11/06). anyone interested in helping
    > diagnose the errors i get when issuing the make command?
    >
    > $ ./configure ... appears to finish successfully.
    > $ make ... fatal error

    Looks like you either need the gettext package or perhaps did not include
    the usual --disable-nls argument to ./configure

    rsync is in the package SFWrsync available from Sun. You may also require
    the SFWgtxt package.

    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/...s_download.xml

  5. Re: need help installing rsync

    On Mar 4, 4:27 pm, Ian Collins wrote:
    > mrcrou...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > so i was told this would be easy - installing rsync-2.6.9 on an intel
    > > box running solaris x86 (11/06). anyone interested in helping
    > > diagnose the errors i get when issuing the make command?

    > I can't remember off hand, but is rsync bundled with that release? It's
    > in /bin in recent Express builds. If not, have a look in /usr/sfw/bin/
    >
    > --
    > Ian Collins.

    It is not. I tried getting the package instead of the source, and
    that seemed to solve my problems! It ended up being installed in /
    usr/local/bin. Thanks for the input!
    Andy

  6. Re: need help installing rsync

    On Mar 4, 6:59 pm, Dave Uhring wrote:
    > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 13:22:12 -0800, mrcrouter wrote:
    > > so i was told this would be easy - installing rsync-2.6.9 on an intel
    > > box running solaris x86 (11/06). anyone interested in helping
    > > diagnose the errors i get when issuing the make command?

    > > $ ./configure ... appears to finish successfully.
    > > $ make ... fatal error

    > Looks like you either need the gettext package or perhaps did not include
    > the usual --disable-nls argument to ./configure
    >
    > rsync is in the package SFWrsync available from Sun. You may also require
    > the SFWgtxt package.
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/...s_download.xml

    I tried getting the package instead of the source (from sunfreeware),
    and that seemed to solve my problems! It ended up being installed
    in /usr/local/bin. Thanks for the input!
    Andy

  7. Re: need help installing rsync

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 08:29:10 -0800, ac wrote:

    > On Mar 4, 6:59 pm, Dave Uhring wrote:

    >> rsync is in the package SFWrsync available from Sun. You may also require
    >> the SFWgtxt package.
    >>
    >> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/...s_download.xml

    > I tried getting the package instead of the source (from sunfreeware),
    > and that seemed to solve my problems! It ended up being installed
    > in /usr/local/bin. Thanks for the input!

    You would be well advised to use Sun's binaries, available for a free
    download and installed in /opt/sfw without corrupting /usr.

  8. Re: need help installing rsync

    On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:22:12 -0800 (PST),
    mrcrouter@gmail.com wrote:
    > so i was told this would be easy - installing rsync-2.6.9 on an intel
    > box running solaris x86 (11/06). anyone interested in helping
    > diagnose the errors i get when issuing the make command?

    Preferring the easy life when it comes to stuff like this (plus the
    sheer awfulness of autohell always making me queasy), then I installed
    rsync from the companion DVD, and it's in /opt/sfw/bin.

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr