Ideas for improving NFS shared ZFS performance? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Ideas for improving NFS shared ZFS performance? - Solaris ; I have a linux media frontend with it's root file system mounted to an NFS share hosted by opensolaris snv_79a. The zfs file systems are on a raidz2 pool which has no problem doing 80MB/s via nfs for large files. ...

  1. Ideas for improving NFS shared ZFS performance?

    I have a linux media frontend with it's root file system mounted to an NFS
    share hosted by opensolaris snv_79a. The zfs file systems are on a
    raidz2 pool which has no problem doing 80MB/s via nfs for large files.

    The problem is that when writing many small files, it is very slow.

    I've tried switching to nfs4 but no effect.

    I tried setting zil but it had no effect. Is zil still a valid setting? Or did I
    need to reboot afterwards? Is there another way to improve writing caching?

  2. Re: Ideas for improving NFS shared ZFS performance?

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > I have a linux media frontend with it's root file system mounted to an NFS
    > share hosted by opensolaris snv_79a. The zfs file systems are on a
    > raidz2 pool which has no problem doing 80MB/s via nfs for large files.
    >
    > The problem is that when writing many small files, it is very slow.

    that's normal. writing lots of small files over nfs is slow.

    > I've tried switching to nfs4 but no effect.

    It might be time for some NFS tuning.

    set both sides to use nfs v3, and to use TCP/ not UDP.

    set some really large write buffer sizes on the linux side and see what
    happens.

+ Reply to Thread