Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM? - Solaris ; Hi all, I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was wondering if there ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    Hi all,

    I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and
    a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously
    this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was
    wondering if there was a way to achieve this by running some sort
    of VM inside a non-global zone.

    So the question is: is it possible to run Windoze 2003 server inside
    a Solaris zone (like a Banded Zone), presumably using some sort of
    VM technology? (And what about Windoze XP Pro?) Would VirtualBox
    running in a zone do the trick?

    Many TIA,

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  2. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    In comp.unix.solaris Rich Teer wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and
    > a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously
    > this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was
    > wondering if there was a way to achieve this by running some sort
    > of VM inside a non-global zone.

    you cannot run windows inside solaris.

    > So the question is: is it possible to run Windoze 2003 server inside
    > a Solaris zone (like a Banded Zone), presumably using some sort of
    > VM technology? (And what about Windoze XP Pro?) Would VirtualBox
    > running in a zone do the trick?

    Your best bet (if client wants to pay for it, and it may cost more than a
    second server) is to run Vmware ESX. it runs on the bare metal, and you
    can install 2003 and solaris inside it. It itself has a webserver you can
    get to, but you'll want to do most management from a windows client
    program they include.

    From a DR perspective, this is pretty appealing. you can easily backup
    your virtual machine disk images an do all sorts of fun stuff.

    You don't need all the more expensive features and license options to do
    this either.

    I think a ESX starter license + year maintenance is about $1500.

  3. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:25:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >In comp.unix.solaris Rich Teer wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and
    >> a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously
    >> this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was
    >> wondering if there was a way to achieve this by running some sort
    >> of VM inside a non-global zone.

    >you cannot run windows inside solaris.

    Bull****. VMWare runs on Solaris, and can host windows server 2K3.

  4. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:25:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> In comp.unix.solaris Rich Teer wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and
    >>> a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously
    >>> this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was
    >>> wondering if there was a way to achieve this by running some sort
    >>> of VM inside a non-global zone.

    >> you cannot run windows inside solaris.

    > Bull****. VMWare runs on Solaris, and can host windows server 2K3.

    Half wrong - VMWare does *not* run on Solaris, however VirtualBox
    does, and will run WS2K3.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

  5. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    Rich Teer wrote:

    > So the question is: is it possible to run Windoze 2003 server inside
    > a Solaris zone (like a Banded Zone), presumably using some sort of
    > VM technology? (And what about Windoze XP Pro?) Would VirtualBox
    > running in a zone do the trick?

    Sun has its own virtual server product based on Xen, the xVM Server:
    http://www.sun.com/software/products/xvm/index.jsp

    Though Virtual Box is now considered part of the xVM "family of technologies"
    for the "developer desktop", while xVM Server is more like VMWare
    ESX/Infrastructure.

    Neal

  6. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:34:33 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>> you cannot run windows inside solaris.

    >> Bull****. VMWare runs on Solaris, and can host windows server 2K3.
    >>

    >Half wrong - VMWare does *not* run on Solaris, however VirtualBox
    > does, and will run WS2K3.

    I applogize. You're right. I read the list of OS's in the vmware
    site documentation and glossed over the fact that solaris can only
    be a guest operating system.

  7. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>>you cannot run windows inside solaris.

    >>Bull****. VMWare runs on Solaris, and can host windows server 2K3.
    >>

    > Half wrong - VMWare does *not* run on Solaris, however VirtualBox
    > does, and will run WS2K3.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary B-)

    VMware runs as an application under Linux and creates virtual machines
    which can run other Operating Systems. I know for sure that Windows
    runs under VMWare because I've seen it done. I know of no reason why
    Solaris X86 and Linux could not also run in these virtual machines.
    I've never seen it done but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

  8. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    > Half wrong - VMWare does *not* run on Solaris, however VirtualBox
    > does, and will run WS2K3.

    Cool. So, could one run VirtualBox in a non-global zone, and
    use *it* to run Win2K3?

    That would be a neat trick. I'll have to play with it! :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  9. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > VMware runs as an application under Linux and creates virtual machines which
    > can run other Operating Systems. I know for sure that Windows runs under
    > VMWare because I've seen it done. I know of no reason why Solaris X86 and
    > Linux could not also run in these virtual machines. I've never seen it done
    > but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

    Ugh, I don't want to do that! I want to run Solaris on the bare metal, and
    run Win2K3 using some sort of VM technology (VirtualBox seems to be ideal),
    preferably in its own zone.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  10. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    >
    >> Half wrong - VMWare does *not* run on Solaris, however VirtualBox
    >> does, and will run WS2K3.

    > Cool. So, could one run VirtualBox in a non-global zone, and
    > use *it* to run Win2K3?
    >
    > That would be a neat trick. I'll have to play with it! :-)

    Well, it's what I would do...

    Now, if/when I get snv_b82 to install on the Dell 9300 laptop[1], and
    build a 32-bit version of VirtualBox then I can get rid of the XP
    partition and just boot Solaris (well, Nevada).

    Probably need some more RAM, but.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    1 - I am discussing this on the laptop discuss mailing list, so it is
    hopefully in hand.

  11. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Feb 27, 10:25*pm, Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > > VMware runs as an application under Linux and creates virtual machines which
    > > can run other Operating Systems. *I know for sure that Windows runs under
    > > VMWare because I've seen it done. *I know of no reason why Solaris X86and
    > > Linux could not also run in these virtual machines. I've never seen it done
    > > but I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

    > Ugh, I don't want to do that! *I want to run Solaris on the bare metal, and
    > run Win2K3 using some sort of VM technology (VirtualBox seems to be ideal),
    > preferably in its own zone.
    >
    > --
    > Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member
    >
    > CEO,
    > My Online Home Inventory
    >
    > URLs:http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    > * * *http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    > * * *http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

    You can run Windows in an HP-UX VM running on Integrity if you want
    something
    that is fully supported.

  12. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    In comp.unix.solaris AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:25:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >>In comp.unix.solaris Rich Teer wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and
    >>> a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously
    >>> this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was
    >>> wondering if there was a way to achieve this by running some sort
    >>> of VM inside a non-global zone.

    >>you cannot run windows inside solaris.

    > Bull****. VMWare runs on Solaris, and can host windows server 2K3.

    you might want to check your facts.

  13. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:

    > Now, if/when I get snv_b82 to install on the Dell 9300 laptop[1], and
    > build a 32-bit version of VirtualBox then I can get rid of the XP
    > partition and just boot Solaris (well, Nevada).

    My laptop (a Ferrari 3400) is currently running b81 (I completely blew
    away the XP partition when I installed it), with b82 coming "soon". I
    should take it to work today to play with VirtualBox...

    > Probably need some more RAM, but.

    More RAM is always nice. :-)

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  14. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, lahuman9 wrote:

    > You can run Windows in an HP-UX VM running on Integrity if you want
    > something that is fully supported.

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm a Solaris guy.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member

    CEO,
    My Online Home Inventory

    URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

  15. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    "Rich Teer" wrote in message
    news:Pine.SOL.4.64.0802280714510.24095@marrakesh.. .
    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, lahuman9 wrote:
    >
    >> You can run Windows in an HP-UX VM running on Integrity if you want
    >> something that is fully supported.

    > Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm a Solaris guy.
    >
    > --
    > Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OGB member
    >
    > CEO,
    > My Online Home Inventory
    >
    > URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
    > http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
    > http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

    But I would definitely go with the VMWare ESX original reply. Being a
    Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, BSD guy I can run 3 of 5. See it run, in fact
    have set them up.

    Virtualbox said "OpenSolaris", not Solaris OEM. But will keep an eye on
    them.

  16. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    "Canuck57" writes:

    >Virtualbox said "OpenSolaris", not Solaris OEM. But will keep an eye on
    >them.

    It runs on "Solaris Nevada" and well too.

    At FOSDEM we installed "OpenSolaris Developer Preview 2" on a virtual
    box machien inside a Solaris Nevada system.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  17. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and
    > a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously
    > this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was
    > wondering if there was a way to achieve this by running some sort
    > of VM inside a non-global zone.
    >
    > So the question is: is it possible to run Windoze 2003 server inside
    > a Solaris zone (like a Banded Zone), presumably using some sort of
    > VM technology? (And what about Windoze XP Pro?) Would VirtualBox
    > running in a zone do the trick?
    >
    > Many TIA,

    I think this is what you are interested in:

    http://opensolaris.org/os/community/.../windowsguest/

    There is also a mention of xVM in SXDE 1/08 also here:
    "Sun xVM Server", 2/3rd's of the way down the page under "Solaris OS"
    section:

    http://developers.sun.com/sxde/features.jsp

    That is my intention to run Windows XP on my machine as a test. Just
    need the time to do so.

    Just don't know how ready the OpenSolaris and SXDE release with xVM is
    for commercial/production use, right now.

    You don't want to give the customer a sour experience with this set up
    and turn them off to the next Solaris solution if it's not quite there yet.

    As soon as xVM it hits the official Solaris 10 release, then I'd feel
    better in suggesting it to a customer (while I play with it in the
    meantime).

    Good luck.

  18. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:25:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader wrote:

    >In comp.unix.solaris Rich Teer wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and
    >> a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously
    >> this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was
    >> wondering if there was a way to achieve this by running some sort
    >> of VM inside a non-global zone.

    >you cannot run windows inside solaris.

    Is it possible to run Solaris inside Windows via a VM?
    Virtual Server 2005 is free from Microsoft.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  19. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:49:32 GMT, Rich Teer wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I (or rather, my client) have a need to run a Solaris machine and
    >a machine running Windoze server 2003 (don't ask...). Obviously
    >this could be achieved by using two separate servers, but I was
    >wondering if there was a way to achieve this by running some sort
    >of VM inside a non-global zone.
    >
    >So the question is: is it possible to run Windoze 2003 server inside
    >a Solaris zone (like a Banded Zone), presumably using some sort of
    >VM technology? (And what about Windoze XP Pro?) Would VirtualBox
    >running in a zone do the trick?

    What about running Solaris in a VM under Windows 2003?

    >Many TIA,

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

  20. Re: Windows 2003 Server in a Solaris-hosted VM?

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > AZ Nomad wrote:

    >>> you cannot run windows inside solaris.

    >> Bull****. VMWare runs on Solaris, and can host windows server 2K3.
    >>

    > Half wrong - VMWare does *not* run on Solaris, however VirtualBox
    > does, and will run WS2K3.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary B-)

    I have tried VirtualBox Beta 1 on a Dual Opteron 2018 (dual core) with
    8GB RAM, Windows 98SE runs fine but the Screen is limited to 640x480 and
    16 colours. I then created another Virtual Machine and attempted to
    create a Windows 2K VM but it seemed to hang on install during booting
    Windows 2000 or was just very slow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast