Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January - Solaris

This is a discussion on Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January - Solaris ; On 2008-02-19, Andrew Gabriel wrote: > The next LOSUG meeting is this Wednesday. Andrew, any chance of my finding out about these a little sooner? -- "Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire ...

  1. Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January

    On 2008-02-19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > The next LOSUG meeting is this Wednesday.

    Andrew, any chance of my finding out about these a little sooner?

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  2. Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January

    Huge wrote:
    > On 2008-02-19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >
    >>The next LOSUG meeting is this Wednesday.

    > Andrew, any chance of my finding out about these a little sooner?

    Is there any reason why these announcements have to be broadcast to a
    world that mostly doesn't care? Likewise, is there any reason why this
    query should be posted to this newsgroup rather than being e-mailed?

    Presumably, anyone who can read comp.unix.solaris or alt.solaris86 can
    receive and read e-mail!

  3. Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January

    In article <47BC3D21.3050803@comcast.net>,
    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >Is there any reason why these announcements have to be broadcast to a
    >world that mostly doesn't care? Likewise, is there any reason why this

    I care about what's being spewed at the OSUG meetings in London and
    Silicon Valley.

    Its frequently content that I would like my sales critter to have
    presented in my little corner of the world.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  4. Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January

    On 2008-02-20 14:45:53 +0000, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    said:

    > Huge wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >>
    >>> The next LOSUG meeting is this Wednesday.

    >> Andrew, any chance of my finding out about these a little sooner?
    >>

    > Is there any reason why these announcements have to be broadcast to a
    > world that mostly doesn't care? Likewise, is there any reason why this
    > query should be posted to this newsgroup rather than being e-mailed?

    I assume you're also objecting to the SVOSUG (etc) meeting
    announcements that get posted?

    > Presumably, anyone who can read comp.unix.solaris or alt.solaris86 can
    > receive and read e-mail!

    They probably can, and LOSUG already *do* send announcements and
    reminders out to people who've joined their mailing list.

    But there's surely a number of people who don't know about their local
    user groups who would appreciate these announcements?

    Cheers,

    Chris

  5. Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2008-02-20 14:45:53 +0000, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > said:
    >
    >> Huge wrote:

    >>> Andrew, any chance of my finding out about these a little sooner?
    >>>

    >> Is there any reason why these announcements have to be broadcast to a
    >> world that mostly doesn't care? Likewise, is there any reason why
    >> this query should be posted to this newsgroup rather than being e-mailed?

    > I assume you're also objecting to the SVOSUG (etc) meeting announcements
    > that get posted?
    >
    >> Presumably, anyone who can read comp.unix.solaris or alt.solaris86 can
    >> receive and read e-mail!

    > They probably can, and LOSUG already *do* send announcements and
    > reminders out to people who've joined their mailing list.
    >
    > But there's surely a number of people who don't know about their local
    > user groups who would appreciate these announcements?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Chris

    Since I'm more or less equidistant from London and Silicon Valley these
    announcements are as useless to me as the details of Paris Hilton's
    latest escapade! Even a New York City users group meeting would be
    massively inconvenient to get to.

    If there's a national users group, perhaps a web site where locals could
    advertise both their existence and meeting times/locations might be useful.

  6. Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January

    On Feb 20, 9:42 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Chris Ridd wrote:
    > > On 2008-02-20 14:45:53 +0000, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > > said:

    Youd think! : >
    > >> Is there any reason why these announcements have to be broadcast to a
    > >> world that mostly doesn't care? Likewise, is there any reason why
    > >> this query should be posted to this newsgroup rather than being e-mailed?

    > > I assume you're also objecting to the SVOSUG (etc) meeting announcements
    > > that get posted?
    > >> Presumably, anyone who can read comp.unix.solaris or alt.solaris86 can
    > >> receive and read e-mail!

    > > They probably can, and LOSUG already *do* send announcements and
    > > reminders out to people who've joined their mailing list.

    Hmm i should check into that.
    > > But there's surely a number of people who don't know about their local
    > > user groups who would appreciate these announcements?
    > > Cheers,
    > > Chris

    > Since I'm more or less equidistant from London and Silicon Valley these
    > announcements are as useless to me as the details of Paris Hilton's
    > latest escapade! Even a New York City users group meeting would be
    > massively inconvenient to get to.
    > If there's a national users group, perhaps a web site where locals could
    > advertise both their existence and meeting times/locations might be useful.

    Dont know about the London UG but the one in California is available
    to me
    in Canada via ustream. I "attend" every one and certainly appreciate
    the
    announcement. As an aside I wish they'd improve a few things like:
    the lighting, the camera itself, stop obessing over WinTel
    architecture,
    and actually have audio more than 1 out of the last 3 broadcasts : /

  7. Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    > Huge wrote:
    >> On 2008-02-19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >>
    >>> The next LOSUG meeting is this Wednesday.

    >> Andrew, any chance of my finding out about these a little sooner?
    >>

    > Is there any reason why these announcements have to be broadcast to a
    > world that mostly doesn't care? Likewise, is there any reason why this
    > query should be posted to this newsgroup rather than being e-mailed?

    Because it will reach those people who do not already know about the
    existence of the group.

    > Presumably, anyone who can read comp.unix.solaris or alt.solaris86 can
    > receive and read e-mail!

    But if they *aren't* already on the mailing list, how do they get on it?

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    P.S. This is all so obvious that it falls under the umbrella of that
    rarest of all things, "Common Sense."

  8. Re: London OpenSolaris User Group, Wednesday 20th January

    On 2008-02-21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Huge writes:
    >> On 2008-02-19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >>> The next LOSUG meeting is this Wednesday.

    >> Andrew, any chance of my finding out about these a little sooner?

    > Yes, sorry I'll try to send out earlier in the future. There's a
    > balance between too early and people forget, and too late and people
    > are booked up.

    Thanks.

    > They are the 3rd Wednesday of every month

    Ahh, noted. Mucho thanks. I have to change my "on-site" day, so I need some
    warning.

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

+ Reply to Thread