Can't find boot drive? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Can't find boot drive? - Solaris ; While attempting to load Solaris 10 (x86) on a new system, I used the onboard RAID controller (ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard) to set up mirroring which I see is probably a mistake, if that wasn't evident by the fact that Solaris ...

  1. Can't find boot drive?

    While attempting to load Solaris 10 (x86) on a new system, I used the
    onboard RAID controller (ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard) to set up
    mirroring which I see is probably a mistake, if that wasn't evident by
    the fact that Solaris couldn't find any disks. Now I've removed the
    raid device but when using the interactive install, I can't do a
    default install because the system complains it can't find a boot
    disk.

    I've got the BIOS defaults set to boot from CDROM and no other
    device. 'format' sees the two disks I have installed, each having a
    Solaris2 partition on them, with slices 8 and 9 labeled as 'boot' and
    'alternates'.

    What am I missing here to get the install process to recognize the
    disks?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Can't find boot drive?

    In article <3eaabcf3-1a47-45b3-bd77-67174fdae7a4@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
    Monty wrote:
    >While attempting to load Solaris 10 (x86) on a new system, I used the
    >onboard RAID controller (ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard) to set up
    >mirroring which I see is probably a mistake, if that wasn't evident by
    >the fact that Solaris couldn't find any disks. Now I've removed the

    Apparently some on-board RAID controllers can be made to appear
    as vanilla SATA controllers via BIOS options. You might confirm
    you're running Asustek's latest BIOS and that it doesn't have
    some option to disable RAID.

    You might also try the latest Solaris Express (Nevada).

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Can't find boot drive?

    Monty wrote:
    > While attempting to load Solaris 10 (x86) on a new system, I used the
    > onboard RAID controller (ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard) to set up
    > mirroring which I see is probably a mistake, if that wasn't evident by
    > the fact that Solaris couldn't find any disks. Now I've removed the
    > raid device but when using the interactive install, I can't do a
    > default install because the system complains it can't find a boot
    > disk.

    Haven't tried this since I only have one sata disk
    > I've got the BIOS defaults set to boot from CDROM and no other
    > device. 'format' sees the two disks I have installed, each having a
    > Solaris2 partition on them, with slices 8 and 9 labeled as 'boot' and
    > 'alternates'.
    >
    > What am I missing here to get the install process to recognize the
    > disks?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have this board and have not seem this issue with any release of
    Solaris 10 x86.
    What happens if you add the disk to the boot menu in bios(there seems to
    2-3 paces where its defining disks and boot devices/order)
    You may have to label the disk in format (just with the default slices
    should be fine) this tends to be required on none Sun disks in general.

    /Flemming

+ Reply to Thread