    getting one to use for a personal NAS box w/ 4 large SATA drives.

    Goal is gigabit ethernet, raid 5 & 3 TB of disk space for under $3k.

    Are there any gotchas I should know about? Other than rewiring the
    drive bays for SATA this would seem pretty straightforward. I'm assuming
    that I'd need to keep a SCSI disk to boot the system.

    Thanks,
    Reg

  2. Re: Sun V40z for NAS ???

    On 2008-02-12, Reginald Beardsley wrote:

    > I've noticed that these are pretty cheap on ebay and am contemplating
    > getting one to use for a personal NAS box w/ 4 large SATA drives.
    >
    > Goal is gigabit ethernet, raid 5 & 3 TB of disk space for under $3k.
    >
    > Are there any gotchas I should know about?

    Noise, electricity consumption & cooling...

    [email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org uk]

  3. Re: Sun V40z for NAS ???

    Reginald Beardsley schrieb:

    > I've noticed that these are pretty cheap on ebay and am contemplating
    > getting one to use for a personal NAS box w/ 4 large SATA drives.
    >
    > Goal is gigabit ethernet, raid 5 & 3 TB of disk space for under $3k.
    >
    > Are there any gotchas I should know about? Other than rewiring the
    > drive bays for SATA this would seem pretty straightforward. I'm assuming
    > that I'd need to keep a SCSI disk to boot the system.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Reg

    I'd look and see if you can boot from an Areca-RAID controller.
    Unless you want to do some ZFS stuff with the SATA-drives, in which case
    it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

    Rainer

  4. Re: Sun V40z for NAS ???

    In article ,
    Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    >Are there any gotchas I should know about? Other than rewiring the
    >drive bays for SATA this would seem pretty straightforward. I'm assuming
    >that I'd need to keep a SCSI disk to boot the system.

    The V40z's disk backplane is SCSI. It may be easier to buy an
    external JBOD disk enclosure and an eSATA HBA.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: Sun V40z for NAS ???

    John Groenveld wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    >
    >>Are there any gotchas I should know about? Other than rewiring the
    >>drive bays for SATA this would seem pretty straightforward. I'm assuming
    >>that I'd need to keep a SCSI disk to boot the system.

    > The V40z's disk backplane is SCSI. It may be easier to buy an
    > external JBOD disk enclosure and an eSATA HBA.
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

    I've never touched a V40z, so I don't have any idea how hard it would be
    to remove the SCSI connectors from 4 bays and replace w/ SATA
    connectors. It's tough to tell from the photos I've been able to find.
    Plan B is a V20z which is cheaper and the external JBOD enclosure.

    Do you know of a Solaris compatible eSATA HBA? I was considering using
    an Adaptec 21610SA and kludging the cabling to the external enclosure.

    Thanks,
    Reg

  6. Re: Sun V40z for NAS ???

    In article ,
    Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    >Do you know of a Solaris compatible eSATA HBA? I was considering using
    >an Adaptec 21610SA and kludging the cabling to the external enclosure.

    The Adaptec and LSI Logic RAID controllers are supported.

    I believe eSATA HBAs with Silicon Image 3124 and 3132 chipsets
    are supported by sis3124(7D)

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  7. Re: Sun V40z for NAS ???

    In comp.unix.solaris Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    > John Groenveld wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Reginald Beardsley wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are there any gotchas I should know about? Other than rewiring the
    >>>drive bays for SATA this would seem pretty straightforward. I'm assuming
    >>>that I'd need to keep a SCSI disk to boot the system.

    >> The V40z's disk backplane is SCSI. It may be easier to buy an
    >> external JBOD disk enclosure and an eSATA HBA.
    >>
    >> John
    >> groenveld@acm.org

    > I've never touched a V40z, so I don't have any idea how hard it would be
    > to remove the SCSI connectors from 4 bays and replace w/ SATA
    > connectors. It's tough to tell from the photos I've been able to find.
    > Plan B is a V20z which is cheaper and the external JBOD enclosure.

    That seems like WAY more grief than it's worth. The external enclosure is
    almost certainly the right solution for most cases.

    > Do you know of a Solaris compatible eSATA HBA? I was considering using
    > an Adaptec 21610SA and kludging the cabling to the external enclosure.

    Here's a list. The Adaptec is supported.
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data...lts.page1.html

    Not really any kludging required--slap a card in the V40z and connect
    the external box.

    Here are some interesting looking boxes, by the way:
    http://www.usb-ware.com/external-sata-products.htm
    http://www.satagear.com/index.cfm

    I'm looking at doing the same--connect a JBOD eSATA array to my Ultra60,
    and when I upgrade my PC, turn the old one into a S10/x86 box as a server.
    It might be time to power down the Ultra 60 at that point.

    Colin

+ Reply to Thread