Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10? - Solaris ; Hi, I'm looking at buying a new PC and although I mostly use Linux at present I want to be sure that the motherboard will be compatible with Solaris 10. I'm after a board that performs well and that will ...

  1. Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    Hi,

    I'm looking at buying a new PC and although I mostly use Linux at present I
    want to be sure that the motherboard will be compatible with Solaris 10.

    I'm after a board that performs well and that will support the Core 2 Quad
    Q6600, minimum 4GB DDR2 RAM, and 4 or more SATA II ports. Can anyone
    recommend something to fit the bill? From what I've read, the X38-based
    boards are probably going to perform best, but I have had little luck
    finding compatibility reports for any specific boards under Solaris.

    TIA

    Neil

  2. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    In article ,
    Neil wrote:
    >I'm after a board that performs well and that will support the Core 2 Quad
    >Q6600, minimum 4GB DDR2 RAM, and 4 or more SATA II ports. Can anyone
    >recommend something to fit the bill? From what I've read, the X38-based
    >boards are probably going to perform best, but I have had little luck
    >finding compatibility reports for any specific boards under Solaris.

    Support for Intel's onboard SATA RAID controller is a risk.
    I would check opensolaris.org for the current state or be prepared to
    buy a Marvell or LSI Logic based PCI* SATA/SAS card.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    John Groenveld wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Neil wrote:
    >>I'm after a board that performs well and that will support the Core 2 Quad
    >>Q6600, minimum 4GB DDR2 RAM, and 4 or more SATA II ports. Can anyone
    >>recommend something to fit the bill? From what I've read, the X38-based
    >>boards are probably going to perform best, but I have had little luck
    >>finding compatibility reports for any specific boards under Solaris.

    > Support for Intel's onboard SATA RAID controller is a risk.
    > I would check opensolaris.org for the current state or be prepared to
    > buy a Marvell or LSI Logic based PCI* SATA/SAS card.
    >
    > John
    > groenveld@acm.org

    yeah, onboard sata raid controllers all suck, and tend to be garbage.

    I'd had luck with standalone Promise SATA controllers or full out Adaptec
    sata 2420s controllers.

    junk intel onboard raid controllers seem ok if you disable all the
    windows/raid junk features in the BIOS and use them as plain sata
    controllers.

  4. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    On Jan 31, 2:42 pm, Neil wrote:
    > I'm looking at buying a new PC and although I mostly use Linux at present I
    > want to be sure that the motherboard will be compatible with Solaris 10.
    > I'm after a board that performs well and that will support the Core 2 Quad
    > Q6600, minimum 4GB DDR2 RAM, and 4 or more SATA II ports. Can anyone
    > recommend something to fit the bill? From what I've read, the X38-based
    > boards are probably going to perform best, but I have had little luck
    > finding compatibility reports for any specific boards under Solaris.

    I have an Acer Quad core box that has an ECS G33T-M2 board in it.
    It runs Solaris 10 under VMWare Player just fine. Not sure it fits
    your
    bill though as new MB's come out every day and I dont keep up
    with the latest and greatest : >

  5. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Cydrome Leader writes:
    >> John Groenveld wrote:
    >>> Support for Intel's onboard SATA RAID controller is a risk.
    >>> I would check opensolaris.org for the current state or be prepared to
    >>> buy a Marvell or LSI Logic based PCI* SATA/SAS card.
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>> groenveld@acm.org

    >> yeah, onboard sata raid controllers all suck, and tend to be garbage.

    > I have a system with an ASUS M2N4-SLI motherboard with nForce 500
    > chipset (Athlon64, so not suitable for OP). I've got 3 disks
    > attached to the motherboard SATA controller, and I'm achieving
    > 225Mbytes/second sustained across them (75Mbytes/second each).
    > The disks are spec'ed 76Mbytes/second max, so that's probably
    > what's limiting the i/o. I certainly wouldn't say anything
    > sucks about this. I'm using ZFS for the RAID of course, not
    > the controller's RAID support.

    I think it's the last bit, the controller's RAID support, that sucks! I
    have a stripe of 4 ZFS mirrors on nVidia onboard controllers and I get
    the same result, 300MB/S.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  6. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> Cydrome Leader writes:

    >>> yeah, onboard sata raid controllers all suck, and tend to be garbage.

    >> I have a system with an ASUS M2N4-SLI motherboard with nForce 500
    >> chipset (Athlon64, so not suitable for OP). I've got 3 disks
    >> attached to the motherboard SATA controller, and I'm achieving
    >> 225Mbytes/second sustained across them (75Mbytes/second each).
    >> The disks are spec'ed 76Mbytes/second max, so that's probably
    >> what's limiting the i/o. I certainly wouldn't say anything
    >> sucks about this. I'm using ZFS for the RAID of course, not
    >> the controller's RAID support.
    >>

    > I think it's the last bit, the controller's RAID support, that sucks! I
    > have a stripe of 4 ZFS mirrors on nVidia onboard controllers and I get
    > the same result, 300MB/S.

    Are you stuck with a horrible onboard NIC with the AMD based motherboards,
    or what does it have?

  7. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Ian Collins wrote:
    >
    >> I think it's the last bit, the controller's RAID support, that sucks! I
    >> have a stripe of 4 ZFS mirrors on nVidia onboard controllers and I get
    >> the same result, 300MB/S.

    > Are you stuck with a horrible onboard NIC with the AMD based motherboards,
    > or what does it have?

    All mu nVidia boards use nge NICs, which work fine out of the box (at
    least with OpenSolaris based installs).

    --
    Ian Collins.

  8. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 20:31:22 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > The one embedded in nForce 430 doesn't work. Both nge and nfo
    > will try to drive it, but both fail in different ways.

    Very true. I had to install an Intel NIC to get networked with this one.

    $ uname -a
    SunOS einstein 5.11 snv_81 i86pc i386 i86pc

  9. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Cydrome Leader wrote:
    >> Ian Collins wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think it's the last bit, the controller's RAID support, that sucks! I
    >>> have a stripe of 4 ZFS mirrors on nVidia onboard controllers and I get
    >>> the same result, 300MB/S.

    >> Are you stuck with a horrible onboard NIC with the AMD based motherboards,
    >> or what does it have?
    >>

    > All mu nVidia boards use nge NICs, which work fine out of the box (at
    > least with OpenSolaris based installs).

    Ok, so the nge stuff is good, vs. people and their obsession to use
    anything from realtek.

  10. Re: Recommended Motherboard for Solaris 10?

    Hi,

    I just bought a Intel Quad core and ECS G33T-M2 Motherboard with 4 GB Memory and SATA 1TG HDD.

    However, I have some trouble to install the Solaris 10 Update 5 on this system at all.

    Do you need to set anything else before installing Solaris onto you configuration?

    Any help will be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

    Thanks,
    Homer

    Quote Originally Posted by usenetpersongerryt-at-gmail.com View Post
    On Jan 31, 2:42 pm, Neil wrote:
    > I'm looking at buying a new PC and although I mostly use Linux at present I
    > want to be sure that the motherboard will be compatible with Solaris 10.
    > I'm after a board that performs well and that will support the Core 2 Quad
    > Q6600, minimum 4GB DDR2 RAM, and 4 or more SATA II ports. Can anyone
    > recommend something to fit the bill? From what I've read, the X38-based
    > boards are probably going to perform best, but I have had little luck
    > finding compatibility reports for any specific boards under Solaris.

    I have an Acer Quad core box that has an ECS G33T-M2 board in it.
    It runs Solaris 10 under VMWare Player just fine. Not sure it fits
    your
    bill though as new MB's come out every day and I dont keep up
    with the latest and greatest : >

+ Reply to Thread