[SVOSUG] Dec. Meeting, help to create streaming media! - Solaris

This is a discussion on [SVOSUG] Dec. Meeting, help to create streaming media! - Solaris ; This month we're going to try something a bit different, as it is December and our normal meeting day is in the middle of the Sun holiday break, it leaves this month in an odd spot (as it does last ...

  1. [SVOSUG] Dec. Meeting, help to create streaming media!

    This month we're going to try something a bit different, as it is
    December and our normal meeting day is in the middle of the Sun
    holiday break, it leaves this month in an odd spot (as it does last
    month as well). We have some great stuff coming for the new year
    though, and Jan. will have Jim Hugues talking on Indiana, and Feb.
    will have Sarah Jelnick talking on Caiman/Dwarf. Stay tuned for
    this...but for this month...

    I would like to create some streaming media on topics related to
    OpenSolaris. Are you doing something kinda cool on OpenSolaris, using
    Xen, or running BrandZ? Are you using Zones for something cool, or
    running a cool zraid usb setup like csi:munich? Please join us and
    share something with our community that you're doing on OpenSolaris.
    Even if you're involved in OpenSolaris, join us to wish the community
    a happy holiday...and tell them what you do, or how you can help them
    with OpenSolaris.

    I will be bringing a couple camcorders, and encourage anyone else with
    one to bring it along as well, the more video we have to select from
    the better.

    It might be possible to start broadcasting the meetings, and I created
    an account over on www.ustream.tv for SVOSUG. I was tipped to this
    site by Bob Palowoda, SVOSUG member at large, that we might be able to
    use this
    service as a way to broadcast the meetings.

    Stay tuned if we can put this together for the meeting on Thurs.

    Maybe it will be possible to broadcast video of the meetings on
    ustream??? We'll need to investigate a bit more before we can say!

    Also, I would like to welcome others to bring along a treat and share
    with the other SVOSUG members, in the holiday spirit. While it looked
    like we wouldn't have ice for this meeting, James Liu informed me that
    we can get ice over across at the mansion, so I'll bring along a
    cooler and get some ice before the meeting, and maybe I can convince
    my wife that the SVOSUG folks are indeed good folks that deserve a
    holiday treat, she's gullible in that regard, and will probably bake
    some type of treat!;-)

    (I will update with ustream info, if I can get it working)

    When: Thursday, December 20, 2007
    Where: Sun's Santa Clara Campus Auditorium (SCA03 upstairs)
    What: Help create streaming media, share a holiday treat!
    Time: 7:30pm-10:00pm

    Call-in Info

    Toll Free: 866-545-5227
    Intnl/pay: 865-673-6950
    Conference: 809-64-14

    Hope to see you there!

  2. Re: Dec. Meeting, help to create streaming media!

    ***** REMINDER ***** REMINDER ***** REMINDER ***** REMINDER ****

    Flip ordered ice for the meeting, so we will have a definite coolness
    about the meeting.;-)

    We will have some type of broadcast at:

    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/svosug

    This will prove to be much better next month most likely, when we have
    decent presentation, but we can try some various things to see what
    works
    and what doesn't work from the room we hold the meetings in.

    Please feel free to visit the link above during the meeting time,
    7:30pm-10:00pm. I'm having some trouble with the camcorder I got
    recentely, and still trying to figure that out. The internal isight
    and
    ibot 1394 cam both work on my MacBook, not sure what is up with the
    camcorder yet.

    I was thinking about this...it seems that there is only capability to
    have
    a single stream on ustream, but what if we created a page on
    OpenSolaris.org which just held 15 or 20 embedded tags that point to
    the
    ustream show. It might be possible to leverage their video
    broadcasting
    service to hold a video conference between the numbers of embedded
    windows
    that were put on the webpage.

    Even without that capability, we can do a lot with ustream, IMO, and
    the
    ability for folks to ask questions through the chat is a plus as well.

    Please provide feedback on how you like or don't like this service.

    On Dec 19, 2:11 am, Alan DuBoff wrote:
    > This month we're going to try something a bit different, as it is
    > December and our normal meeting day is in the middle of the Sun
    > holiday break, it leaves this month in an odd spot (as it does last
    > month as well). We have some great stuff coming for the new year
    > though, and Jan. will have Jim Hugues talking on Indiana, and Feb.
    > will have Sarah Jelnick talking on Caiman/Dwarf. Stay tuned for
    > this...but for this month...
    >
    > I would like to create some streaming media on topics related to
    > OpenSolaris. Are you doing something kinda cool on OpenSolaris, using
    > Xen, or running BrandZ? Are you using Zones for something cool, or
    > running a cool zraid usb setup like csi:munich? Please join us and
    > share something with our community that you're doing on OpenSolaris.
    > Even if you're involved in OpenSolaris, join us to wish the community
    > a happy holiday...and tell them what you do, or how you can help them
    > with OpenSolaris.
    >
    > I will be bringing a couple camcorders, and encourage anyone else with
    > one to bring it along as well, the more video we have to select from
    > the better.
    >
    > It might be possible to start broadcasting the meetings, and I created
    > an account over onwww.ustream.tvfor SVOSUG. I was tipped to this
    > site by Bob Palowoda, SVOSUG member at large, that we might be able to
    > use this
    > service as a way to broadcast the meetings.
    >
    > Stay tuned if we can put this together for the meeting on Thurs.
    >
    > Maybe it will be possible to broadcast video of the meetings on
    > ustream??? We'll need to investigate a bit more before we can say!
    >
    > Also, I would like to welcome others to bring along a treat and share
    > with the other SVOSUG members, in the holiday spirit. While it looked
    > like we wouldn't have ice for this meeting, James Liu informed me that
    > we can get ice over across at the mansion, so I'll bring along a
    > cooler and get some ice before the meeting, and maybe I can convince
    > my wife that the SVOSUG folks are indeed good folks that deserve a
    > holiday treat, she's gullible in that regard, and will probably bake
    > some type of treat!;-)
    >
    > (I will update with ustream info, if I can get it working)
    >
    > When: Thursday, December 20, 2007
    > Where: Sun's Santa Clara Campus Auditorium (SCA03 upstairs)
    > What: Help create streaming media, share a holiday treat!
    > Time: 7:30pm-10:00pm
    >
    > Call-in Info
    >
    > Toll Free: 866-545-5227
    > Intnl/pay: 865-673-6950
    > Conference: 809-64-14
    >
    > Hope to see you there!

  3. Re: Dec. Meeting, help to create streaming media!

    On Dec 20, 6:23 am, Alan DuBoff wrote:

    > We will have some type of broadcast at:
    > http://www.ustream.tv/channel/svosug
    > we can do a lot with ustream, IMO, and
    > the ability for folks to ask questions through the chat is a plus as well.
    > Please provide feedback on how you like or don't like this service.

    For sure better to have than not. I had some difficulty with being
    able to see
    and hear what was happening. The audio improved after a while though.
    Can the resolution and frames per second be improved on ustream or is
    that it...?
    I used an old SPARC and newer PC and both were about the same
    qualitywise.
    Also the lighting seemed quite dim.
    And people might say who they are and stand in the center of where
    the camera is pointing : > Things like that.
    Very promising though. Looking forward to next month. Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread