Problems with audio on Solaris express. - Solaris

This is a discussion on Problems with audio on Solaris express. - Solaris ; I have the latest Solaris Express which I am using on a Sony VGN-SZ4XWN/C laptop. The audio does not work. I am not 100% sure of the audio chip (I've asked Sony to confirm). But I know it is SigmaTel ...

  1. Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    I have the latest Solaris Express which I am using on a Sony
    VGN-SZ4XWN/C laptop. The audio does not work. I am not 100% sure of the
    audio chip (I've asked Sony to confirm). But I know it is SigmaTel and I
    believe it is the Sigmatel CXD9872 audio chip. (I've tried looking under
    Vista, but I can't find the chip listed).

    Is there any support in Solaris Express for this? Any suggestions how I
    might get it to work?

  2. Re: Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    I can only suggest trying OSS - http://www.4front-tech.com/

    According to their site it's sorta nag-ware, it requires
    reinstallation every six months or something.

  3. Re: Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    On Nov 24, 5:48 am, Dave wrote:
    > I have the latest Solaris Express which I am using on a Sony
    > VGN-SZ4XWN/C laptop. The audio does not work. I am not 100% sure of the
    > audio chip (I've asked Sony to confirm). But I know it is SigmaTel and I
    > believe it is the Sigmatel CXD9872 audio chip. (I've tried looking under
    > Vista, but I can't find the chip listed).

    XP is similarly stunned..
    > Is there any support in Solaris Express for this? Any suggestions how I
    > might get it to work?

    I have a similar or same chipset on my Gateway laptop running B70b.
    Audio works
    fine in a VMWare environment no less using xmms.
    When you say "audio does not work" you fail
    to say how you are trying to MAKE audio work. What kind of audio?
    If I cat a wav file into /dev/audio that doesnt work too well either!

    Anyway, if theres no audio chip detection in a dmesg dump (during a
    boot) it may indeed not work..
    Theres this thing called the HCL. If you google for it "Solaris
    HCL" (no
    quotes) you should get a hit. On that site there are two apps for
    compatability
    detection. One of those two may help.

  4. Re: Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    gerryt wrote:
    > On Nov 24, 5:48 am, Dave wrote:
    >> I have the latest Solaris Express which I am using on a Sony
    >> VGN-SZ4XWN/C laptop. The audio does not work. I am not 100% sure of the
    >> audio chip (I've asked Sony to confirm). But I know it is SigmaTel and I
    >> believe it is the Sigmatel CXD9872 audio chip. (I've tried looking under
    >> Vista, but I can't find the chip listed).

    > XP is similarly stunned..
    >> Is there any support in Solaris Express for this? Any suggestions how I
    >> might get it to work?

    > I have a similar or same chipset on my Gateway laptop running B70b.
    > Audio works
    > fine in a VMWare environment no less using xmms.

    > When you say "audio does not work" you fail

    As soon as I logged into the Sun Java desktop there was an error message
    - unfortunately, I did not take note of it!

    To bottom right of the screen the picture of the speaker has a red line
    though it, and it was impossible to get rid of that.

    > to say how you are trying to MAKE audio work. What kind of audio?
    > If I cat a wav file into /dev/audio that doesnt work too well either!

    I would have expected you to hear something - not the correct sound. But
    on my SPARC, if I cat any old file to /dev/audio, I will hear a hissing
    noise, as it receives random data.

    > Anyway, if theres no audio chip detection in a dmesg dump (during a
    > boot) it may indeed not work..
    > Theres this thing called the HCL. If you google for it "Solaris
    > HCL" (no
    > quotes) you should get a hit. On that site there are two apps for
    > compatability
    > detection. One of those two may help.

    I've since installed the OSS audio drivers from
    http://www.4front-tech.com/ (nag-ware I am told), bbut whilst the test
    program runs OK, no programs that are supposed to produce a sound
    actually make a sound. Furthermore, catting a file to /dev/audio does
    nothing at all.

    BUT if I now cat a file to

    /devices/pci@0,0/pci104d,81e6@1b:hdaudio0,pcm1
    or
    /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm1

    then I hear a noise - no doubt, if the file was in the correct format,
    it would play OK.

    I'm not sure how best to resolve this. I suspect if I removed
    /dev/audio, and linked /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm1 to /dev/audio, it might
    work. But that would probably break after a boot -r. And in any case,
    that sort of hack is clearly not the right solution.

    I would be interested what happens if you cat a small text file to
    /dev/audio - I would expect you to hear something.

  5. Re: Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    On Nov 25, 10:52 am, Dave wrote:
    > gerryt wrote:
    > > On Nov 24, 5:48 am, Dave wrote:
    > >> I have the latest Solaris Express which I am using on a Sony
    > >> VGN-SZ4XWN/C laptop. The audio does not work. I am not 100% sure of the
    > >> audio chip (I've asked Sony to confirm). But I know it is SigmaTel and I
    > >> believe it is the Sigmatel CXD9872 audio chip. (I've tried looking under
    > >> Vista, but I can't find the chip listed).

    > > XP is similarly stunned..
    > >> Is there any support in Solaris Express for this? Any suggestions how I
    > >> might get it to work?

    > > I have a similar or same chipset on my Gateway laptop running B70b.
    > > Audio works
    > > fine in a VMWare environment no less using xmms.
    > > When you say "audio does not work" you fail

    > As soon as I logged into the Sun Java desktop there was an error message
    > - unfortunately, I did not take note of it!

    You should beable to reproduce that??

    > To bottom right of the screen the picture of the speaker has a red line
    > though it, and it was impossible to get rid of that.
    >
    > > to say how you are trying to MAKE audio work. What kind of audio?
    > > If I cat a wav file into /dev/audio that doesnt work too well either!

    > I would have expected you to hear something - not the correct sound. But
    > on my SPARC, if I cat any old file to /dev/audio, I will hear a hissing
    > noise, as it receives random data.

    Not on my Blade. I guess it depends on the "wav". Most make noise -
    some dont
    I assume it would be the same on the laptop

    > > Anyway, if theres no audio chip detection in a dmesg dump (during a
    > > boot) it may indeed not work..
    > > Theres this thing called the HCL. If you google for it "Solaris
    > > HCL" (no
    > > quotes) you should get a hit. On that site there are two apps for
    > > compatability
    > > detection. One of those two may help.

    > I've since installed the OSS audio drivers fromhttp://www.4front-tech.com/(nag-ware I am told), bbut whilst the test
    > program runs OK, no programs that are supposed to produce a sound
    > actually make a sound.

    Sounds like Windows. What programs would those be...?
    Really Im erasing all this Blastwave crap today. For me there is no
    reason
    for my "corporate" laptop to make ANY sounds..

    > Furthermore, catting a file to /dev/audio does
    > nothing at all.
    >
    > BUT if I now cat a file to
    >
    > /devices/pci@0,0/pci104d,81e6@1b:hdaudio0,pcm1
    > or
    > /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm1
    >
    > then I hear a noise - no doubt, if the file was in the correct format,
    > it would play OK.

    Seems like.

    > I'm not sure how best to resolve this. I suspect if I removed
    > /dev/audio, and linked /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm1 to /dev/audio, it might
    > work. But that would probably break after a boot -r. And in any case,
    > that sort of hack is clearly not the right solution.

    Ah! Thank you.

    > I would be interested what happens if you cat a small text file to
    > /dev/audio - I would expect you to hear something.

    I was trying to say that catting a file direct into /dev/audio was not
    good test (other than you get noise so you know something is up).

    I dont think you NEED oss drivers - I didnt, just a working client
    like xmms
    On Express it (an MPEG driver) defaulted to OSS - which I doubt I
    have. Didnt check.
    I changed that to the generic Solaris driver.. xmms played an mp3
    fine.

    mplayer should also work. AND sdtadudioctl should report at least
    one audio output enabled - in my test I had to enable "speaker"
    Nothing was on by default in the mixer window.

  6. Re: Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    gerryt wrote:

    >> As soon as I logged into the Sun Java desktop there was an error message
    >> - unfortunately, I did not take note of it!

    > You should beable to reproduce that??

    No, since after I have added the OSS drivers, it does not appear any more.

    >> To bottom right of the screen the picture of the speaker has a red line
    >> though it, and it was impossible to get rid of that.
    >>
    >>> to say how you are trying to MAKE audio work. What kind of audio?
    >>> If I cat a wav file into /dev/audio that doesnt work too well either!

    >> I would have expected you to hear something - not the correct sound. But
    >> on my SPARC, if I cat any old file to /dev/audio, I will hear a hissing
    >> noise, as it receives random data.

    > Not on my Blade. I guess it depends on the "wav". Most make noise -
    > some dont
    > I assume it would be the same on the laptop

    Any old file will make a noise om my Blade 2000. The same happens on the
    laptop if I cat a file to

    /devices/pci@0,0/pci104d,81e6@1b:hdaudio0,pcm1

    but not to /dev/audio.

    >>> Anyway, if theres no audio chip detection in a dmesg dump (during a
    >>> boot) it may indeed not work..

    I do not see any.

    I see messages about there being no driver for the fingerprint reader

    Nov 25 21:42:04 kingfisher usba: [ID 349649 kern.info]
    STMicroelectronics Biometric Coprocessor
    Nov 25 21:42:04 kingfisher genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] usb_mid0 is
    /pci@0,0/pci104d,81e6@1d,2/device@1
    Nov 25 21:42:04 kingfisher genunix: [ID 408114 kern.info]
    /pci@0,0/pci104d,81e6@1d,2/device@1 (usb_mid0) online
    Nov 25 21:42:04 kingfisher usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] usba: no
    driver found for interface 0 (nodename: 'interface') of STMicroe
    lectronics Biometric Coprocessor

    or bluetooth

    Nov 25 21:42:04 kingfisher usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] usba: no
    driver found for interface 0 (nodename: 'interface') of ALPS UGX
    01f7489a
    Nov 25 21:42:04 kingfisher usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] usba: no
    driver found for interface 1 (nodename: 'interface') of ALPS UGX
    01f7489a
    Nov 25 21:42:04 kingfisher usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] usba: no
    driver found for interface 2 (nodename: 'firmware') of ALPS UGX
    01f7489a

    and there are some about an unsupported codec.

    Nov 25 08:16:43 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 170144 kern.warning] WARNING:
    audiohd0: unsupported HD codec: vid=0x83847662, rev
    =0x00100201
    messages:Nov 25 08:16:43 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 565005 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: unsupported HD codec: vid=0x14f12bfa, rev
    =0x00090000
    messages:Nov 25 08:16:43 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 493330 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: audiohd_attach() couldn't create codec
    messages:Nov 25 08:16:49 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 170144 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: unsupported HD codec: vid=0x83847662, rev
    =0x00100201
    messages:Nov 25 08:16:49 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 565005 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: unsupported HD codec: vid=0x14f12bfa, rev
    =0x00090000
    messages:Nov 25 08:16:49 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 493330 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: audiohd_attach() couldn't create codec
    messages:Nov 25 08:17:52 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 170144 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: unsupported HD codec: vid=0x83847662, rev
    =0x00100201
    messages:Nov 25 08:17:52 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 565005 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: unsupported HD codec: vid=0x14f12bfa, rev
    =0x00090000
    messages:Nov 25 08:17:52 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 493330 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: audiohd_attach() couldn't create codec
    messages:Nov 25 10:49:01 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 170144 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: unsupported HD codec: vid=0x83847662, rev
    =0x00100201
    messages:Nov 25 10:49:01 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 565005 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: unsupported HD codec: vid=0x14f12bfa, rev
    =0x00090000
    messages:Nov 25 10:49:01 kingfisher audiosup: [ID 493330 kern.warning]
    WARNING: audiohd0: audiohd_attach() couldn't create codec
    messages:Nov 25 12:21:02 kingfisher hdaudio: [ID 486316 kern.notice]
    NOTICE: Unknown HDA codec 0x14f12bfa
    messages:Nov 25 12:41:34 kingfisher hdaudio: [ID 486316 kern.notice]
    NOTICE: Unknown HDA codec 0x14f12bfa
    messages:Nov 25 12:49:07 kingfisher hdaudio: [ID 486316 kern.notice]
    NOTICE: Unknown HDA codec 0x14f12bfa

    >>> Theres this thing called the HCL. If you google for it "Solaris
    >>> HCL" (no
    >>> quotes) you should get a hit. On that site there are two apps for
    >>> compatability
    >>> detection. One of those two may help.

    >> I've since installed the OSS audio drivers fromhttp://www.4front-tech.com/(nag-ware I am told), bbut whilst the test
    >> program runs OK, no programs that are supposed to produce a sound
    >> actually make a sound.

    > Sounds like Windows. What programs would those be...?

    I've tried RealPlayer and Mathematica. Realplayer could not play any
    file I tried and Mathematica could not play a sound, despite it is able
    to so on both Vista and Solaris (SPARC)

    > Really Im erasing all this Blastwave crap today. For me there is no
    > reason
    > for my "corporate" laptop to make ANY sounds..

    It's not a big deal to me, but some programs I use do bleep
    occasionally. It is useful to know. It would be nice to get it working

    >> I'm not sure how best to resolve this. I suspect if I removed
    >> /dev/audio, and linked /dev/oss/hdaudio0/pcm1 to /dev/audio, it might
    >> work. But that would probably break after a boot -r. And in any case,
    >> that sort of hack is clearly not the right solution.

    > Ah! Thank you.

    I assume there is a way to associate something like /dev/audio with a
    device in /devices?

    > I dont think you NEED oss drivers - I didnt, just a working client
    > like xmms
    > On Express it (an MPEG driver) defaulted to OSS - which I doubt I
    > have. Didnt check.
    > I changed that to the generic Solaris driver.. xmms played an mp3
    > fine.
    >
    > mplayer should also work. AND sdtadudioctl should report at least
    > one audio output enabled - in my test I had to enable "speaker"
    > Nothing was on by default in the mixer window.

  7. Re: Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    On Nov 25, 3:59 pm, caveman wrote:
    > gerryt wrote:
    > >> As soon as I logged into the Sun Java desktop there was an error message
    > >> - unfortunately, I did not take note of it!

    > > You should be able to reproduce that??

    > No, since after I have added the OSS drivers, it does not appear any more.

    > > Not on my Blade. I guess it depends on the "wav". Most make noise -
    > > some dont
    > > I assume it would be the same on the laptop

    > Any old file will make a noise om my Blade 2000. The same happens on the
    > laptop if I cat a file to
    > /devices/pci@0,0/pci104d,81e6@1b:hdaudio0,pcm1
    > but not to /dev/audio.

    Does /dev/audio point to a real /device? Sounds not. Bad pun I know..

    > I do not see any.

    I do - exact string I forget but its quite obvious.

    > I see messages about there being no driver for the fingerprint reader

    Trimmed. I repeat:

    > >> I've since installed the OSS audio drivers fromhttp://www.4front-tech.com/(nag-wareI am told), bbut whilst the test
    > >> program runs OK, no programs that are supposed to produce a sound
    > >> actually make a sound.

    Maybe because they are looking for /dev/audio
    Maybe 4Front erased the target of the symlink

    > It's not a big deal to me, but some programs I use do bleep
    > occasionally. It is useful to know. It would be nice to get it working

    Im not convinced it wasnt working before you added OSS drivers : <

    > I assume there is a way to associate something like /dev/audio with a
    > device in /devices?

    Mostly symlinks to /devices in /dev ...
    devfsadm should repair damage..

  8. Re: Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    gerryt wrote:

    > Im not convinced it wasnt working before you added OSS drivers : <

    OK, lets start afresh:

    1) I've removed the OSS package.

    # ls -l /dev/audio
    /dev/audio: No such file or directory

    2) so lets try to create it:

    # devfsadm -c audio
    # ls -l /dev/audio
    > /dev/audio: No such file or directory

    3) so lets try to clean up, and the create the file:

    > # devfsadm -C -c audio
    > # devfsadm -c audio
    > # ls -l /dev/audio
    > /dev/audio: No such file or directory

    >> I assume there is a way to associate something like /dev/audio with a
    >> device in /devices?

    > Mostly symlinks to /devices in /dev ...
    > devfsadm should repair damage..

    But if there is more than one audio device (and OSS implied there were
    two) how does devfsadm know which one to link to /dev/audio?

    With no /dev/audio, I might expect problems, but let's continue:

    4) Next I log into the Sun Java desktop, where I notice the speaker has
    a red line though it.

    5) Click the speaker in the bottom right and I get an error message:

    "The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control.
    This means either you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed,
    or that you don't have a sound card configured.

    You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the
    speaker icon on the panel and selecting Remove From Panel from the menu"

    So you might be not be convinced it was not working before I added the
    OSS drivers, but I'm not convinced it was.

    According to one community maintained HCL:

    http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/HCL/devices.php

    a SigmaTel device (not the one I have) needs drivers from

    http://www.tools.de/solaris/audio/

    so I installed audio-1.8-i86pc.pkg.bz2

    but that still gives me no device file.

    I tried the Sun Device Detection Tool from
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts...t.jsp#proddesc

    and it finds:
    82801G (ICH7 family) High Definition Audio Controller
    and reports "Driver support not guaranteed"

    Yet the sound device is SigmaTel, not Intel. But OSS drives report it as
    Intel too. Perhaps the SigmalTel is an extension of a more basic Intel one?

    It also reports my Marvel Technologies Group 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
    Controller needs a 3rd party driver (but rather unhelpfully does not say
    where to get it from, although Google solved that one), my 5-in-1 card
    reader is not supported and everything else is supported. It does not
    detect the fingerprint reader, which is detected during the boot
    process, but the boot process says there is no support.

    Any other suggestions? I'd rather not used closed source OSS drivers and
    there is no way I would pay them $49.99 for them ($15 yes, but not
    $49.99). Sound would be useful, but is not that important.

  9. Re: Problems with audio on Solaris express.

    On Nov 26, 12:32 am, caveman wrote:
    > gerryt wrote:
    > > Im not convinced it wasnt working before you added OSS drivers : <

    > OK, lets start afresh:

    Good idea!

    > 1) I've removed the OSS package.
    > # ls -l /dev/audio
    > /dev/audio: No such file or directory
    > 2) so lets try to create it:
    > # devfsadm -c audio
    > # ls -l /dev/audio
    > > /dev/audio: No such file or directory

    > 3) so lets try to clean up, and the create the file:
    > > # devfsadm -C -c audio
    > > # devfsadm -c audio
    > > # ls -l /dev/audio
    > > /dev/audio: No such file or directory
    > >> I assume there is a way to associate something like /dev/audio with a
    > >> device in /devices?

    root@gcs:/ # mv /dev/audio /dev/Audio
    root@gcs:/ # devfsadm -vs
    devfsadm[1287]: verbose: symlink /dev/audio -> sound/0

    This is on a SPARC Blade. It should work the same way on WinTel : >
    Care to try the above after a reconfigure?

    > > Mostly symlinks to /devices in /dev ...
    > > devfsadm should repair damage..

    > But if there is more than one audio device (and OSS implied there were
    > two) how does devfsadm know which one to link to /dev/audio?

    devfsadm is presumably smarter than we are.. ; >

    > With no /dev/audio, I might expect problems, but let's continue:
    > 4) Next I log into the Sun Java desktop, where I notice the speaker has
    > a red line though it.

    I dont know how "Java Desktop" determines that.. Create a temp account
    and
    use CDE instead I guess

    > 5) Click the speaker in the bottom right and I get an error message:
    >
    > "The volume control did not find any elements and/or devices to control.
    > This means either you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed,
    > or that you don't have a sound card configured.
    > You can remove the volume control from the panel by right-clicking the
    > speaker icon on the panel and selecting Remove From Panel from the menu"
    > So you might be not be convinced it was not working before I added the
    > OSS drivers, but I'm not convinced it was.

    I wouldnt trust Gnome too much. Anyway they DO suggest
    "either you don't have the right GStreamer plugins installed,
    or that you don't have a sound card configured"

    > According to one community maintained HCL:
    > http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/HCL/devices.php
    > a SigmaTel device (not the one I have) needs drivers from
    > http://www.tools.de/solaris/audio/
    > so I installed audio-1.8-i86pc.pkg.bz2
    > but that still gives me no device file.

    All you may need to do is reboot -- -r to get it back

    > I tried the Sun Device Detection Tool fromhttp://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/device_detect.jsp#proddesc

    I ran this on my laptop and the Detection Tool seems to be a marginal
    test
    as it stated I had no drivers for my display which works fine.
    It also mentioned there were no HD drivers for audio yet it works fine
    in normal 2 channel...
    I have no drivers for the wifi interface either.
    So I'd say it was ~50% accurate in my case : >

    > and it finds:
    > 82801G (ICH7 family) High Definition Audio Controller
    > and reports "Driver support not guaranteed"

    Something like that for me. Actually it outright said unsupported. No
    big deal.

    > Yet the sound device is SigmaTel, not Intel. But OSS drives report it as
    > Intel too. Perhaps the SigmalTel is an extension of a more basic Intel one?
    > It also reports my Marvel Technologies Group 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
    > Controller needs a 3rd party driver (but rather unhelpfully does not say
    > where to get it from, although Google solved that one), my 5-in-1 card
    > reader is not supported and everything else is supported. It does not
    > detect the fingerprint reader, which is detected during the boot
    > process, but the boot process says there is no support.

    Havent tried sticking in a memory stick yet...

    > Any other suggestions? I'd rather not used closed source OSS drivers and
    > there is no way I would pay them $49.99 for them ($15 yes, but not
    > $49.99). Sound would be useful, but is not that important.

    A dump of what dmesg tells me - it wont be the same for you but it
    should be
    similar:
    Nov 26 10:27:37 area51 genunix: [ID 540533 kern.notice] ^MSunOS
    Release 5.11 Ver
    sion snv_70b 64-bit
    Nov 26 10:27:37 area51 unix: [ID 126719 kern.info] features:
    12f6eff cx16,sse3,nx,asysc,sse2,sse,pat,cx8,pae,mmx,cmov,d e,pge,mtrr,msr,tsc,lgpg>
    Nov 26 10:28:00 area51 pcplusmp: [ID 803547 kern.info] pcplusmp:
    pci1274,1371 (a
    udioens) instance 0 vector 0x13 ioapic 0x2 intin 0x13 is bound to cpu
    1
    Nov 26 10:28:00 area51 pci: [ID 370704 kern.info] PCI-device:
    pci1274,1371@12, a
    udioens0
    Nov 26 10:28:00 area51 genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] audioens0 is /
    pci@0,0/pci1
    274,1371@12
    Nov 26 10:28:32 area51 pcplusmp: [ID 803547 kern.info] pcplusmp:
    pci1274,1371 (a
    udioens) instance 0 vector 0x13 ioapic 0x2 intin 0x13 is bound to cpu
    0
    Nov 26 10:28:32 area51 pci: [ID 370704 kern.info] PCI-device:
    pci1274,1371@12, a
    udioens0
    Nov 26 10:28:32 area51 genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] audioens0 is /
    pci@0,0/pci1
    274,1371@12

    Note the audioens stuff

    A line from /etc/path_to_inst: