SATA HDD on my ASUS mainboard not working - no /dev/sda - Solaris

This is a discussion on SATA HDD on my ASUS mainboard not working - no /dev/sda - Solaris ; Hello everybody, can someone tell me how to use an SATA disk with Solaris 10? Thanks in Advance Oliver...

  1. SATA HDD on my ASUS mainboard not working - no /dev/sda

    Hello everybody,

    can someone tell me how to use an SATA disk with Solaris 10?

    Thanks in Advance

    Oliver

  2. Re: SATA HDD on my ASUS mainboard not working - no /dev/sda

    omega237@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello everybody,

    Please don't multi-post.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: SATA HDD on my ASUS mainboard not working - no /dev/sda

    On 22 Nov,
    omega237@gmail.com wrote:

    > can someone tell me how to use an SATA disk with Solaris 10?

    It just worked with mine. It's the sound card I can't get going. (asus P800SE
    mobo).

    --
    BD
    Change lycos to yahoo to reply

  4. Re: SATA HDD on my ASUS mainboard not working - no /dev/sda

    On 22 Nov., 19:35, omega...@gmail.com wrote:
    > can someone tell me how to use an SATA disk with Solaris 10?

    Check hardware support and driver availability with the free easy-to-
    use tool install_check.1.3 available from http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/install_check.jsp

    One problem that comes up with newer mainboards is the so-called
    hardware-RAID feature (it's a Windows-only non-feature in fact). Make
    sure it is disabled in the BIOS settings before you install Solaris,
    otherwise your SATA drives will not be recognized.

  5. Re: SATA HDD on my ASUS mainboard not working - no /dev/sda

    Othmar Wigger wrote:
    > On 22 Nov., 19:35, omega...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> can someone tell me how to use an SATA disk with Solaris 10?

    > Check hardware support and driver availability with the free easy-to-
    > use tool install_check.1.3 available from http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/install_check.jsp
    >
    > One problem that comes up with newer mainboards is the so-called
    > hardware-RAID feature (it's a Windows-only non-feature in fact). Make
    > sure it is disabled in the BIOS settings before you install Solaris,
    > otherwise your SATA drives will not be recognized.

    In my GA-K8M800 BIOS there is no way to disable it once it's activated.
    I even removed the battery to reset the machine, but Solaris don't see
    the disks. Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) however sees both SATA disks...

  6. Re: SATA HDD on my ASUS mainboard not working - no /dev/sda

    Thommy M. wrote:
    > Othmar Wigger wrote:
    >> On 22 Nov., 19:35, omega...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> can someone tell me how to use an SATA disk with Solaris 10?

    >> Check hardware support and driver availability with the free easy-to-
    >> use tool install_check.1.3 available from http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/hcts/install_check.jsp
    >>
    >> One problem that comes up with newer mainboards is the so-called
    >> hardware-RAID feature (it's a Windows-only non-feature in fact). Make
    >> sure it is disabled in the BIOS settings before you install Solaris,
    >> otherwise your SATA drives will not be recognized.

    > In my GA-K8M800 BIOS there is no way to disable it once it's activated.
    > I even removed the battery to reset the machine, but Solaris don't see
    > the disks. Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) however sees both SATA disks...

    It's not likely you can't shut it off again.

    To enable/disable lots of RAID functionality of embedded SATA controllers,
    you need to set (in the BIOS) the controller mode to SATA or Enhanced, vs.
    IDE (even though it's a SATA controller. If you set the disk controller
    mode back to IDE, legacy or whatever it's called in your BIOS, the RAID
    stuff will shut off.

    The option itself which maybe visible in the BIOS to enable/disable the
    RAID maybe greyed out or not changeable until you disable those other
    controller modes.

    Yeah, it's stupid.

+ Reply to Thread