Upgrade Laptop from Vista -> Solaris - well worth the trouble - Solaris

This is a discussion on Upgrade Laptop from Vista -> Solaris - well worth the trouble - Solaris ; In article , Andrew Gabriel wrote: >amd64 and x64 are the commonly used generic terms for the >x86 instruction set with 64 bit instructions (which Intel >copied from AMD). amd64 doesn't mean only AMD processors, >it's just that AMD invented ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 62 of 62

  1. Re: Upgrade Laptop from Vista -> Solaris - well worth the trouble

    In article <474a7b8b$0$511$5a6aecb4@news.aaisp.net.uk>,
    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >amd64 and x64 are the commonly used generic terms for the
    >x86 instruction set with 64 bit instructions (which Intel
    >copied from AMD). amd64 doesn't mean only AMD processors,
    >it's just that AMD invented it and first produced CPU's
    >using it. Intel was still flogging IA64 (Itanium) at that
    >time.

    Sun's marketing wonks refer to the new x86-64 Xeon based
    systems as x64 systems just as they've been referring to the
    Opteron based system for years now.

    For what its worth, Wikipedia says x64 is a contraction
    of x86-64.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  2. Re: Upgrade Laptop from Vista -> Solaris - well worth the trouble

    On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 03:46:33 GMT, mike wrote:

    >Ok, after a day of downloading and concatenating and burning, I have
    >a solaris dvd.
    >Stuff it into the machine and load up MS VirutalPC.
    >Start the install....................
    >Aborted. This requires 753MB of ram, you have only 453MB.

    I installed and ran Solaris 10 X86 on a PC with 512 meg RAM and
    Solaris 10 Sparc on a Netra with 256 meg RAM.

    >mike

    Barry
    =====
    Home page