Possible to emulate AMD_3DNOW? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Possible to emulate AMD_3DNOW? - Solaris ; I expect the answer to this is no (or at least practically no), but it is possible to emulate the AMD_3DNOW instructions, so a program that needs them (Mathematica) will run on a Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 CPU? It ...

  1. Possible to emulate AMD_3DNOW?

    I expect the answer to this is no (or at least practically no), but it
    is possible to emulate the AMD_3DNOW instructions, so a program that
    needs them (Mathematica) will run on a Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 CPU? It
    crases with a message about lack of support for AMD_3DNOW.

  2. Re: Possible to emulate AMD_3DNOW?

    On 2007-11-21 01:59:26 +0000, Dave said:

    > I expect the answer to this is no (or at least practically no), but it
    > is possible to emulate the AMD_3DNOW instructions, so a program that
    > needs them (Mathematica) will run on a Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 CPU? It
    > crases with a message about lack of support for AMD_3DNOW.

    What does isainfo (IIRC) need to print if your processors have
    AMD_3DNOW support?

    Cheers,

    Chris

  3. Re: Possible to emulate AMD_3DNOW?

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2007-11-21 01:59:26 +0000, Dave said:
    >
    >> I expect the answer to this is no (or at least practically no), but it
    >> is possible to emulate the AMD_3DNOW instructions, so a program that
    >> needs them (Mathematica) will run on a Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 CPU? It
    >> crases with a message about lack of support for AMD_3DNOW.

    > What does isainfo (IIRC) need to print if your processors have AMD_3DNOW
    > support?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Chris

    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thre...ssageID=139436

    shows some output from a 386 cpu:

    % isainfo -x
    i386: sse fxsr amd_3dnowx amd_3dnow amd_mmx mmx cmov sep cx8 tsc fpu

    I forget what isainfo prints on my laptop (and I can't be bothered to
    power it up to find out), but I know there was nothing in it that
    remotely resembled 3dnow, as I did check that.

    The program consists of a front end (graphical in nature) and a kernel
    (text based) which does the actual calculations. You can run them
    separately, and in fact don't need to be on the same machine, or you can
    write your own front end. But the kernel crashes, which seems a bit odd.
    I doubt the kernel actually uses any 3D instructions at all.

    I will try finding out with truss what it checks, and see if I can fool
    it into thinking the 3D instructions are there. It is quite possible
    that some of Mathematica's functionality could be used without them.

    I did think of this issue when I was buying a laptop. It was in the back
    of my mind the support for this program was only on AMD CPUs, but I
    decided overall that the extra performance and battery life of the Intel
    CPUs was more important. I think I regret that decision now - after
    spending what was an equivalent of over $3000 on a laptop! I don't think
    my wife would be too pleased if I buy another expensive laptop!

+ Reply to Thread