No Passwd - Solaris

This is a discussion on No Passwd - Solaris ; Grant wrote: > > How do I add a user that doesn't require a passwd ? > > If I type 'passwd -d user' it wants a new passwd on next login > > All I want is a login ...

  1. Re: No Passwd

    Grant wrote:

    > How do I add a user that doesn't require a passwd ?
    >
    > If I type 'passwd -d user' it wants a new passwd on next login
    >
    > All I want is a login that executes a command/script and logs out

    What is it that you're actually trying to do?

    Sound like it would be better served by RSHELL or REXEC using a trusted
    relationship between the hosts.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  2. Re: No Passwd

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > Grant wrote:
    >>
    >> How do I add a user that doesn't require a passwd ?
    >>
    >> If I type 'passwd -d user' it wants a new passwd on next login
    >>
    >> All I want is a login that executes a command/script and logs out

    > What is it that you're actually trying to do?
    >
    > Sound like it would be better served by RSHELL or REXEC using a trusted
    > relationship between the hosts.

    Or in this century, Secure Shell (scp, ssh,sftp etc) and host keys.

  3. No Passwd

    How do I add a user that doesn't require a passwd ?

    If I type 'passwd -d user' it wants a new passwd on next login

    All I want is a login that executes a command/script and logs out

    thanks

    Grant

  4. Re: No Passwd

    Canuck57 wrote:

    > "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > > Grant wrote:
    > >>
    > >> How do I add a user that doesn't require a passwd ?
    > >>
    > >> If I type 'passwd -d user' it wants a new passwd on next login
    > >>
    > >> All I want is a login that executes a command/script and logs out

    > > What is it that you're actually trying to do?
    > >
    > > Sound like it would be better served by RSHELL or REXEC using a trusted
    > > relationship between the hosts.

    > Or in this century, Secure Shell (scp, ssh,sftp etc) and host keys.

    ....if corporate security demands it. Inside the firewall, we just K.I.S.S.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  5. Re: No Passwd

    On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:38:18 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Canuck57 wrote:

    >> Or in this century, Secure Shell (scp, ssh,sftp etc) and host keys.

    > ...if corporate security demands it. Inside the firewall, we just
    > K.I.S.S.

    Which is precisely where security is most demanded, and use of SSH with
    host keys is just as KISS as your ancient and insecure protocols.

  6. Re: No Passwd

    Canuck57 wrote:
    > "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    >> Grant wrote:
    >>> How do I add a user that doesn't require a passwd ?
    >>>
    >>> If I type 'passwd -d user' it wants a new passwd on next login
    >>>
    >>> All I want is a login that executes a command/script and logs out

    >> What is it that you're actually trying to do?
    >>
    >> Sound like it would be better served by RSHELL or REXEC using a trusted
    >> relationship between the hosts.

    > Or in this century, Secure Shell (scp, ssh,sftp etc) and host keys.

    Well actually , all i want to do is login and a bash script tells the
    machine to shutdown/reboot. This is less keystrokes or moving mouse than
    login as root at the solaris login screen to go to command line login,
    login and type poweroff , or reboot etc

    TIA

    Grant

  7. Re: No Passwd

    Grant wrote:
    > Canuck57 wrote:
    >> "David J Dachtera" wrote in message

    >>> What is it that you're actually trying to do?
    >>>
    >>> Sound like it would be better served by RSHELL or REXEC using a trusted
    >>> relationship between the hosts.

    >> Or in this century, Secure Shell (scp, ssh,sftp etc) and host keys.
    >>

    > Well actually , all i want to do is login and a bash script tells the
    > machine to shutdown/reboot. This is less keystrokes or moving mouse than
    > login as root at the solaris login screen to go to command line login,
    > login and type poweroff , or reboot etc
    >

    > TIA
    >
    > Grant

    Just remove the root password hash in /etc/shadow

    delete it until you get something like

    root::99999::::::

    and you're done.

    set the root shell to a script that runs init 6 or whatever you prefer.

  8. Re: No Passwd

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:38:18 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > > Canuck57 wrote:

    > >> Or in this century, Secure Shell (scp, ssh,sftp etc) and host keys.

    > > ...if corporate security demands it. Inside the firewall, we just
    > > K.I.S.S.

    > Which is precisely where security is most demanded, and use of SSH with
    > host keys is just as KISS as your ancient and insecure protocols.

    With trusted relationships, passwords(keys) never traverse the wire - encrypted
    or not!

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  9. Re: No Passwd

    On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:50:07 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Dave Uhring wrote:
    >> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:38:18 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:

    >> > ...if corporate security demands it. Inside the firewall, we just
    >> > K.I.S.S.

    >> Which is precisely where security is most demanded, and use of SSH with
    >> host keys is just as KISS as your ancient and insecure protocols.

    > With trusted relationships, passwords(keys) never traverse the wire -
    > encrypted or not!

    The payload of every packet still remains unencrypted. If you never
    exchange anything information of value that's just fine. But then your
    network would be quite useless except as an expensive corporate toy or a
    facilitator for espionage.

+ Reply to Thread