CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink - Solaris

This is a discussion on CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink - Solaris ; Hi all, I just to know if this DSL router is working fine with Solaris_10 x86 of not ?M Model : Syslink BEFSR41 with 4 port siwtch. Please do other vendors and models advices if you have better DSL routers ...

  1. CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    Hi all,
    I just to know if this DSL router is working fine with Solaris_10 x86
    of not ?M
    Model : Syslink BEFSR41 with 4 port siwtch.
    Please do other vendors and models advices if you have better DSL
    routers .
    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    happytoday wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I just to know if this DSL router is working fine with Solaris_10 x86
    > of not ?M
    > Model : Syslink BEFSR41 with 4 port siwtch.
    > Please do other vendors and models advices if you have better DSL
    > routers .
    > Thanks in advance

    I have been using this model on my home network for about a year. Works
    fine with fixed IP addresses on Solaris. If you want to use the
    Syslink DHCP it may take a little configuration to get your nodenames
    set up. I did this once but have forgotten which Solaris files need
    to be modified.

  3. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    happytoday wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I just to know if this DSL router is working fine with Solaris_10 x86
    > of not ?M
    > Model : Syslink BEFSR41 with 4 port siwtch.
    > Please do other vendors and models advices if you have better DSL
    > routers .
    > Thanks in advance

    I believe that's "Linksys" rather than "Syslink"! I've been using its
    big brother, the BEFSR81 for several years now. That's an eight port
    version. I have version 1, there are also versions 2 and 3. The DHCP
    implementation is kind of dim witted and I don't try to use it with
    Solaris; I configure my Solaris (SPARC) machines with static IP
    addresses so I KNOW how to talk to them. If I used DHCP I'd have to go
    to the console after every reboot and find out what its IP address of
    the day was. For my Windoze machines, I don't care since everything I
    do with them I do from the keyboard.

    If the DHCP implementation were fully RFC compliant, I could configure
    DHCP to recognize the MAC address and give them the same IP address,
    etc, each time. Unfortunately the DHCP is NOT fully compliant and I can't!

    Some day I may run across a Cisco router/switch that I can afford. . . .

  4. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    On Nov 16, 10:26 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > I just to know if this DSL router is working fine with Solaris_10 x86
    > > of not ?M
    > > Model : Syslink BEFSR41 with 4 port siwtch.
    > > Please do other vendors and models advices if you have better DSL
    > > routers .
    > > Thanks in advance

    > I believe that's "Linksys" rather than "Syslink"! I've been using its
    > big brother, the BEFSR81 for several years now. That's an eight port
    > version. I have version 1, there are also versions 2 and 3. The DHCP
    > implementation is kind of dim witted and I don't try to use it with
    > Solaris; I configure my Solaris (SPARC) machines with static IP
    > addresses so I KNOW how to talk to them. If I used DHCP I'd have to go
    > to the console after every reboot and find out what its IP address of
    > the day was. For my Windoze machines, I don't care since everything I
    > do with them I do from the keyboard.
    >
    > If the DHCP implementation were fully RFC compliant, I could configure
    > DHCP to recognize the MAC address and give them the same IP address,
    > etc, each time. Unfortunately the DHCP is NOT fully compliant and I can't!
    >
    > Some day I may run across a Cisco router/switch that I can afford. . . .

    The most service I should use with my ISP is DNS. Is that router
    support DNS ?
    Thanks

  5. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    happytoday wrote:

    > The most service I should use with my ISP is DNS. Is that router
    > support DNS ?

    Routers do not "support" DNS, they don't even care about it.

    If the router receives DNS server address(es) from your ISP, it will (probably)
    provide it(them) to its own DHCP clients.

    The Motorola BR700 (discontinued) did have a local DNS proxy so you could assign
    local names to your LAN addresses. This is an extremely rare feature in a
    broadband router, however.

    A dial-up router - the 3com LANmodem - also provided a DNS proxy.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  6. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

    > Routers don't "support" DNS! DNS requests and replies are handled by
    > the router the the same way as any other TCP/IP packets!

    The vast majority of client DNS queries are via UDP.

    JS

  7. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    John Schmidt wrote:
    > Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
    >
    >> Routers don't "support" DNS! DNS requests and replies are handled by
    >> the router the the same way as any other TCP/IP packets!

    > The vast majority of client DNS queries are via UDP.
    >
    > JS

    TCP/IP is a protocol suite! I believe it includes UDP in addition to
    telnet, ftp, http, etc, etc.

  8. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <473FBF95.1030807@comcast.net>,
    > "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    >
    >>John Schmidt wrote:
    >>

    >>>The vast majority of client DNS queries are via UDP.
    >>>
    >>>JS

    >>TCP/IP is a protocol suite! I believe it includes UDP in addition to
    >>telnet, ftp, http, etc, etc.

    Any reference material that equates UDP with http is questionable at
    best.

    > Well, in pedant mode, UDP/IP is a parallel transport protocol to TCP/IP.

    Honestly (not trolling here), how is that being pedantic rather than
    accurate?

    JS

  9. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    John Schmidt wrote:
    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >
    >> In article <473FBF95.1030807@comcast.net>,

    >>> TCP/IP is a protocol suite! I believe it includes UDP in addition to
    >>> telnet, ftp, http, etc, etc.

    > Any reference material that equates UDP with http is questionable at
    > best.
    >
    >> Well, in pedant mode, UDP/IP is a parallel transport protocol to TCP/IP.

    > Honestly (not trolling here), how is that being pedantic rather than
    > accurate?
    >
    > JS

    Perhaps because some of us don't care exactly how the request gets to
    the DNS servers or how the server replies! Maybe one in 5,000 or 10,000
    of us actually has to write such a thing for other than academic reasons.

    Even when I was actually setting up a DNS server (ca. 1994) I didn't
    know or care what was going over the wire. I was much more concerned
    that the vendor's documentation was utter garbage and that there was
    only one guy in the vendor's technical support who actually understood
    what was going on and the fact that the software was almost as bad as
    the documentation! If it hadn't been for "DNS & Bind", RFC-1032,
    RFC-1033, RFC-1034, RFC-1035, RFC-1183 and that one guy in tech support,
    I don't think I would have ever got it working. The "third party"
    documentation and a couple of patches finally let me get it working. . . .

    In a way, that was one of the best jobs I ever had. I was asked to do
    things that I hadn't a clue about. I learned by doing it because it had
    to be done and there was no one else to do it. Our upstream provider
    asked us to stop using their DNS server. Whammo! We had to get our own
    server running; quickly!

  10. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > In article <473FBF95.1030807@comcast.net>,
    > "Richard B. Gilbert" writes:
    > > John Schmidt wrote:

    > Most DSL routers I've played with do in fact proxy DNS requests,
    > claiming themselves to be a DNS server to the local network, but
    > passing the requests on to the ISP's DNS cache. [snip]

    Interesting I've not yet seen any which do that.

    All the ones I have seen (about a dozen, including 3com, Netgear, Motorola,
    Multi-Tech, Linksys and some small Ciscos) simply pass along the DNS address(es)
    reecived from the ISP via DHCP to their own DHCP clients on the LAN.

    If you could cite specific makes/models which display the behavior you have
    observed, that information would be most helpful.

    Locally, I have DNS on my small Alpha (running VMS - sorry) serve the local LAN
    and forward unresolvable requests to the ISP's DNS for which, of course, I must
    manually maintain the address(es).

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  11. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    On Nov 19, 5:37 am, David J Dachtera
    wrote:
    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >
    > > In article <473FBF95.1030...@comcast.net>,

    > > Most DSL routers I've played with do in fact proxy DNS requests,
    > > claiming themselves to be a DNS server to the local network, but
    > > passing the requests on to the ISP's DNS cache. [snip]

    > Interesting I've not yet seen any which do that.
    >
    > All the ones I have seen (about a dozen, including 3com, Netgear, Motorola,
    > Multi-Tech, Linksys and some small Ciscos) simply pass along the DNS address(es)
    > reecived from the ISP via DHCP to their own DHCP clients on the LAN.
    >
    > If you could cite specific makes/models which display the behavior you have
    > observed, that information would be most helpful.
    >
    > Locally, I have DNS on my small Alpha (running VMS - sorry) serve the local LAN
    > and forward unresolvable requests to the ISP's DNS for which, of course, I must
    > manually maintain the address(es).
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    I will ask about new models of DSL Linksys routers :
    AM200 , AG241 .

    Did any body tried them workinf fine with Solaris 10 x86.
    Thanks

  12. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    happytoday wrote:
    > On Nov 19, 5:37 am, David J Dachtera
    > wrote:
    >> Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    >>> Most DSL routers I've played with do in fact proxy DNS requests,
    >>> claiming themselves to be a DNS server to the local network, but
    >>> passing the requests on to the ISP's DNS cache. [snip]

    >> Interesting I've not yet seen any which do that.
    >>
    >> All the ones I have seen (about a dozen, including 3com, Netgear, Motorola,
    >> Multi-Tech, Linksys and some small Ciscos) simply pass along the DNS address(es)
    >> reecived from the ISP via DHCP to their own DHCP clients on the LAN.
    >>
    >> If you could cite specific makes/models which display the behavior you have
    >> observed, that information would be most helpful.
    >>
    >> Locally, I have DNS on my small Alpha (running VMS - sorry) serve the local LAN
    >> and forward unresolvable requests to the ISP's DNS for which, of course, I must
    >> manually maintain the address(es).
    >>
    >> --
    >> David J Dachtera
    >> dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/
    >>
    >> Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    > I will ask about new models of DSL Linksys routers :
    > AM200 , AG241 .
    >
    > Did any body tried them workinf fine with Solaris 10 x86.
    > Thanks

    The one that came from SBC (It's a Motorola DOES proxy DNS requests, and
    works fine in my home with all of my Suns. (This email was sent from one.)

    Ed

  13. Re: CABLE/DSL router 4 ports Syslink

    "Edward C. Otto III" wrote:

    > happytoday wrote:
    > > On Nov 19, 5:37 am, David J Dachtera
    > > wrote:

    > >> Interesting I've not yet seen any which do that.
    > >>
    > >> All the ones I have seen (about a dozen, including 3com, Netgear, Motorola,
    > >> Multi-Tech, Linksys and some small Ciscos) simply pass along the DNS address(es)
    > >> reecived from the ISP via DHCP to their own DHCP clients on the LAN.
    > >>
    > >> If you could cite specific makes/models which display the behavior you have
    > >> observed, that information would be most helpful.
    > >>
    > >> Locally, I have DNS on my small Alpha (running VMS - sorry) serve the local LAN
    > >> and forward unresolvable requests to the ISP's DNS for which, of course, I must
    > >> manually maintain the address(es).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> David J Dachtera
    > >> dba DJE Systemshttp://www.djesys.com/
    > >>
    > >> Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    > > I will ask about new models of DSL Linksys routers :
    > > AM200 , AG241 .
    > >
    > > Did any body tried them workinf fine with Solaris 10 x86.
    > > Thanks

    > The one that came from SBC (It's a Motorola DOES proxy DNS requests, and
    > works fine in my home with all of my Suns. (This email was sent from one.)

    Could I trouble you for the Motorola model number?

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

+ Reply to Thread