Screen resolution - Solaris

This is a discussion on Screen resolution - Solaris ; Hi everybody, I'm using Solaris Express (5.11 build 70) under a virtual machine in Virtualbox 1.5.2. It's equipped with Xorg 7.2, but I can't find any xorg.conf file to edit. It doesn't work either after creating one with xorgconfig. I ...

  1. Screen resolution

    Hi everybody,

    I'm using Solaris Express (5.11 build 70) under a virtual machine in
    Virtualbox 1.5.2.
    It's equipped with Xorg 7.2, but I can't find any xorg.conf file to edit.
    It doesn't work either after creating one with xorgconfig.
    I need to add higher resolutions for the screen, anybody can help?

    thanks,
    pedlo

  2. Re: Screen resolution

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:49:31 GMT
    "pedlo" wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I'm using Solaris Express (5.11 build 70) under a virtual machine in
    > Virtualbox 1.5.2.
    > It's equipped with Xorg 7.2, but I can't find any xorg.conf file to
    > edit. It doesn't work either after creating one with xorgconfig.
    > I need to add higher resolutions for the screen, anybody can help?
    >
    > thanks,
    > pedlo

    Hi
    Try kdmconfig, have a look at the man page. You will probably have to
    do a reboot with reconfigure.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

  3. Re: Screen resolution

    Hi,

    I got 1400x1050x24 working in Solaris 10 x86 by setting up /usr/X11/
    bin/xorgcfg. I set the card type to VESA and the resolutions to what
    I wanted. I don't think refresh rates matter. It creates xorg.conf
    in /etc/X11.

    Also, you need to use vboxmanage to set up the custom video mode you
    need. Refer to the VB docs for how to do this. It is a command line
    thing.

  4. Re: Screen resolution

    Hi,

    I managed to get 1400x1050x24 in Solaris 10 x86 on Virtualbox 1.5.0.
    I used /usr/X11/bin/xorgcfg and it set up the xorg.conf file in /etc/
    X11. Note that the default file in this directory is hidden
    (.xorg.conf) and at least on my setup this file is effectively
    ignored. I had to have xorg.conf without the prefixed period there
    and that file worked.

    Dunno if OpenSolaris has this problem, but on Solaris 10 08/07 the
    xorgcfg program shipped broken and required an update to fix. Oops.

  5. Re: Screen resolution

    It looks like the system doesn't care of the xorg.conf I created through
    xorgconfig and put in /etc/X11/
    Hey, i didn't know the original file was hidden.
    I had to look better...
    I'll try again tomorrow.
    However, thanks for caring

    "S.SubZero" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1194927752.450969.181790@z24g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I managed to get 1400x1050x24 in Solaris 10 x86 on Virtualbox 1.5.0.
    > I used /usr/X11/bin/xorgcfg and it set up the xorg.conf file in /etc/
    > X11. Note that the default file in this directory is hidden
    > (.xorg.conf) and at least on my setup this file is effectively
    > ignored. I had to have xorg.conf without the prefixed period there
    > and that file worked.
    >
    > Dunno if OpenSolaris has this problem, but on Solaris 10 08/07 the
    > xorgcfg program shipped broken and required an update to fix. Oops.

  6. Re: Screen resolution

    On Nov 13, 4:49 pm, "pedlo" wrote:
    > It looks like the system doesn't care of the xorg.conf I created through
    > xorgconfig and put in /etc/X11/
    > Hey, i didn't know the original file was hidden.
    > I had to look better...
    > I'll try again tomorrow.
    > However, thanks for caring
    >
    > "S.SubZero" ha scritto nel messaggionews:1194927752.450969.181790@z24g2000prh .googlegroups.com...
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I managed to get 1400x1050x24 in Solaris 10 x86 on Virtualbox 1.5.0.
    > > I used /usr/X11/bin/xorgcfg and it set up the xorg.conf file in /etc/
    > > X11. Note that the default file in this directory is hidden
    > > (.xorg.conf) and at least on my setup this file is effectively
    > > ignored. I had to have xorg.conf without the prefixed period there
    > > and that file worked.

    > > Dunno if OpenSolaris has this problem, but on Solaris 10 08/07 the
    > > xorgcfg program shipped broken and required an update to fix. Oops.

    Perhaps smf has the priority here, for example to change the default
    color depth
    svccfg -s x11-server setprop options/default_depth=16

    I don't know all the properties, so that would be someone else's
    homework...

    HTH

  7. Re: Screen resolution

    sergiusens wrote:
    > On Nov 13, 4:49 pm, "pedlo" wrote:
    >> It looks like the system doesn't care of the xorg.conf I created through
    >> xorgconfig and put in /etc/X11/

    >> "S.SubZero" ha scritto nel messaggionews:1194927752.450969.181790@z24g2000prh .googlegroups.com...

    >>> I managed to get 1400x1050x24 in Solaris 10 x86 on Virtualbox 1.5.0.
    >>> I used /usr/X11/bin/xorgcfg and it set up the xorg.conf file in /etc/
    >>> X11. Note that the default file in this directory is hidden
    >>> (.xorg.conf) and at least on my setup this file is effectively
    >>> ignored. I had to have xorg.conf without the prefixed period there
    >>> and that file worked.

    > Perhaps smf has the priority here, for example to change the default
    > color depth
    > svccfg -s x11-server setprop options/default_depth=16
    >
    > I don't know all the properties, so that would be someone else's
    > homework...

    svccfg -s x11-server listprop

  8. Re: Screen resolution

    Oh, also make sure you specify the additional resolution to
    vboxmanage. It's in section 9-4ish of the PDF documentation. It
    involves feeding a setting to the virtual machine XML. The default
    VESA driver for VirtualBox only goes to 1024x768 so you need to do
    this to get it higher. I did "1400x1050x24"

+ Reply to Thread