Solaris 10 & Quotation marks problem - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 & Quotation marks problem - Solaris ; Dear Group, I do not hide, that I'm kindof newbie in Sun Solaris, but I've been working for many years with *BSD family systems, so the !Windows world is quite common for me. I've installed Solaris 10 on a x86 ...

  1. Solaris 10 & Quotation marks problem

    Dear Group,

    I do not hide, that I'm kindof newbie in Sun Solaris, but I've been
    working for many years with *BSD family systems, so the !Windows world
    is quite common for me.

    I've installed Solaris 10 on a x86 platform, which uname is equal:
    SunOS sol-i386.wewn 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc

    The problem which I have is quite annoying because it directly affect
    on my work (C/C++ programming), and it's as following:

    1) I need to use polish characters, so while installing Solaris, I've
    defined the first time Poland/Central European ISO-8859-2, and next
    UTF-8 pl_PL standard. And that's perfectly working, all characters are
    displayed correctly, input is also well, I cannot anyhow complain for
    it. But:

    2) When Java Desktop System starts, I cannot use polish characters,
    unless I change on the bottom bar, keyboard panel button to menu item
    with "[keyboard] Polish" sign on it, again, because it's already
    selected, but don't know why, but I need to reselect it each time I
    book JDS. And again, polish chars work perfectly, but:

    3) When I want to use quotation-mark I have a problem. Using key-
    combination which is SHIFT+" (next to Enter), when I press once,
    nothing happen, if I press again (that gives twice) I may see
    something which does look like quotation-mark, but it's like 50%
    smaller than the normal one, and in i.e. #include "mylib.h", gives me
    an compile-error.

    What I've already checked are:

    1) When I again change my keyboard layout to an English layout,
    nothing change, still quotation problem.
    2) When I restart JDS, the quotation marks are correct, but since I
    didn't change my keyboard layout, I cannot use polish chars, which
    when I enable (by changing the keyboard layout), makes defect on my
    quotation-marks.

    That's really annoying.

    Could anyone help me solving this problem? I need to use those q-
    marks, and I cannot find any solution, even with google tool.

    Thank you very much & all the best,
    Przemek M. Zawada

  2. Re: Solaris 10 & Quotation marks problem

    On 6 Nov., 11:24, pmz wrote:
    > Dear Group,
    >
    > I do not hide, that I'm kindof newbie in Sun Solaris, but I've been
    > working for many years with *BSD family systems, so the !Windows world
    > is quite common for me.
    >
    > I've installed Solaris 10 on a x86 platform, which uname is equal:
    > SunOS sol-i386.wewn 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc
    >
    > The problem which I have is quite annoying because it directly affect
    > on my work (C/C++ programming), and it's as following:
    >
    > 1) I need to use polish characters, so while installing Solaris, I've
    > defined the first time Poland/Central European ISO-8859-2, and next
    > UTF-8 pl_PL standard. And that's perfectly working, all characters are
    > displayed correctly, input is also well, I cannot anyhow complain for
    > it. But:
    >
    > 2) When Java Desktop System starts, I cannot use polish characters,
    > unless I change on the bottom bar, keyboard panel button to menu item
    > with "[keyboard] Polish" sign on it, again, because it's already
    > selected, but don't know why, but I need to reselect it each time I
    > book JDS. And again, polish chars work perfectly, but:
    >
    > 3) When I want to use quotation-mark I have a problem. Using key-
    > combination which is SHIFT+" (next to Enter), when I press once,
    > nothing happen, if I press again (that gives twice) I may see
    > something which does look like quotation-mark, but it's like 50%
    > smaller than the normal one, and in i.e. #include "mylib.h", gives me
    > an compile-error.
    >
    > What I've already checked are:
    >
    > 1) When I again change my keyboard layout to an English layout,
    > nothing change, still quotation problem.
    > 2) When I restart JDS, the quotation marks are correct, but since I
    > didn't change my keyboard layout, I cannot use polish chars, which
    > when I enable (by changing the keyboard layout), makes defect on my
    > quotation-marks.
    >
    > That's really annoying.
    >
    > Could anyone help me solving this problem? I need to use those q-
    > marks, and I cannot find any solution, even with google tool.
    >
    > Thank you very much & all the best,
    > Przemek M. Zawada

    Hi,
    on Solaris for Sun-cpu's, there are in fact two different layers where
    you must define the characterset. The first one is for the fundamental
    characters you use if you work on command layer (without graphical
    interface). There, you may already define if your 1st language choice
    is english or another one. Later, the system ask you for an additional
    character set (in fact you may choose more than one or UTF) and which
    of them it should use if you switch to x-windows rsp another GUI.
    These questions are asked while you install Solaris. I don't think
    it's totally different on x86 Solaris. Furthermore i remember that our
    C++ programmers always hat a setting in their .profile which startet
    with lang=

    I don't know if that is somehow helpful. Good luck

    Mario

  3. Re: Solaris 10 & Quotation marks problem

    man locale

+ Reply to Thread