Solaris 10 x86 u3 installation failed on Dell Optiplex 755 and Precision 390 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 x86 u3 installation failed on Dell Optiplex 755 and Precision 390 - Solaris ; Hi all, I tried to install Solaris 10 X86 u3 (11/06) on Dell Optiplex 755 and Dell Precision 390, but both failed. The error was something like "No disk found". The Optiplex 755 is not in the HCL , but ...

  1. Solaris 10 x86 u3 installation failed on Dell Optiplex 755 and Precision 390

    Hi all,

    I tried to install Solaris 10 X86 u3 (11/06) on Dell Optiplex 755 and
    Dell Precision 390, but both failed. The error was something like "No
    disk found". The Optiplex 755 is not in the HCL , but I am sure
    Precision 390 is one of it. Has someone succeeded in installing
    Solaris on those computers?

    The configurations are:
    Optiplex755: Intel CORE 2 E6550 (2.33G,4M, 1033MHz)/Intel (R) Q35/2GB
    667MHz/250GB(7200RPM)
    Precision390:Intel Core 2 Duo (E6320 1.86G/4MB)/512*2 MB DDR II 533/
    SATA 160G

    Cheers,
    Tian

  2. Re: Solaris 10 x86 u3 installation failed on Dell Optiplex 755 and Precision 390

    In article <1194005084.233504.204450@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    tianyf@gmail.com wrote:
    >I tried to install Solaris 10 X86 u3 (11/06) on Dell Optiplex 755 and
    >Dell Precision 390, but both failed. The error was something like "No
    >disk found". The Optiplex 755 is not in the HCL , but I am sure
    >Precision 390 is one of it. Has someone succeeded in installing
    >Solaris on those computers?

    Have you tried the latest version of the Sx86 Installation Check Tool?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Solaris 10 x86 u3 installation failed on Dell Optiplex 755 and Precision 390

    On Nov 3, 6:30 am, groen...@cse.psu.edu (John Groenveld) wrote:
    > In article <1194005084.233504.204...@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.c om>,
    >
    > tia...@gmail.com wrote:
    > >I tried to install Solaris 10 X86 u3 (11/06) on Dell Optiplex 755 and
    > >Dell Precision 390, but both failed. The error was something like "No
    > >disk found". The Optiplex 755 is not in the HCL , but I am sure
    > >Precision 390 is one of it. Has someone succeeded in installing
    > >Solaris on those computers?

    > Have you tried the latest version of the Sx86 Installation Check Tool?
    >

    > John
    > groenv...@acm.org

    I downloaded the latest solaris 10 x86 (08/07). The installation went
    well on Precsion 390 now.

    However, it seems that Dell Optiplex 755 has some new hardware whose
    drivers are missing from current version of solaris. I gave up trying.

    Thanks a lot.

    Cheers,
    Tian

  4. Re: Solaris 10 x86 u3 installation failed on Dell Optiplex 755 and Precision 390

    In article <1194077890.764214.43460@v23g2000prn.googlegroups.c om>,
    tianyf@gmail.com wrote:
    >However, it seems that Dell Optiplex 755 has some new hardware whose
    >drivers are missing from current version of solaris. I gave up trying.

    Which drivers did the install check tool tell you were missing?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  5. Re: Solaris 10 x86 u3 installation failed on Dell Optiplex 755 and Precision 390

    At 3 Nov 2007 06:05:04 -0700 wrote tianyf@gmail.com
    Subject: Re: Solaris 10 x86 u3 installation failed on Dell Optiplex
    755 and Precision 390

    >I downloaded the latest solaris 10 x86 (08/07). The installation went
    >well on Precsion 390 now.
    >
    >However, it seems that Dell Optiplex 755 has some new hardware whose
    >drivers are missing from current version of solaris. I gave up trying.

    I remember well for installation 11/06 on FSC E8110. The internal disk
    drive is an sata, and in bios ahci configuration for the serial ata
    controler was enabled.
    If ahci configuration is disabled, the drive works like an ide drive
    and Solaris recognize it. Perhaps in 08/07 the ahci function for sata
    controller are supported.

    Ulli

+ Reply to Thread