boot -r question - Solaris

This is a discussion on boot -r question - Solaris ; Hi, After a fresh installation of Sol. 10 11/06, I used pca to install a kernel patch. According to the final message of that, I should do "boot -r" first. However, I can't find boot using which and find. Where ...

  1. boot -r question

    Hi,

    After a fresh installation of Sol. 10 11/06, I used pca to install a
    kernel patch. According to the final message of that, I should do "boot
    -r" first. However, I can't find boot using which and find. Where is it?
    Or is this the boot command at the boot-prompt after rebooting? If so, I
    know I won't get that prompt since I have grub installed now. So how
    should I proceed?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: boot -r question

    > It's an ODP command that doesn't exist on Solaris x86. Use:
    >
    > /usr/sbin/reboot -- -r

    OK, thank you. 2 Questions though:
    1: what's ODP?
    2: now I've got a 3rd option in grub: reboot-transient. I used that to
    boot after reboot -- -r, but what does it do (other than the normal boot?).

  3. Re: boot -r question

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:23:01 +0200, Huub said something similar to:
    > Hi,
    >
    > After a fresh installation of Sol. 10 11/06, I used pca to install a
    > kernel patch. According to the final message of that, I should do "boot
    > -r" first. However, I can't find boot using which and find. Where is it?
    > Or is this the boot command at the boot-prompt after rebooting? If so, I
    > know I won't get that prompt since I have grub installed now. So how
    > should I proceed?

    Running 'reboot -- "-r"' will add a temporary grub target to boot the
    kernel with the -r option and boot to it.

    Alternatively, from the grub menu edit the kernel line to add -r to
    the argument list - changes made from the menu aren't permanant so
    you won't be perpetually booting with -r by doing that.

  4. Re: boot -r question

    On Oct 26, 12:31 pm, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > It's an ODP command that doesn't exist on Solaris x86. Use:

    > > /usr/sbin/reboot -- -r

    > OK, thank you. 2 Questions though:
    > 1: what's ODP?
    > 2: now I've got a 3rd option in grub: reboot-transient. I used that to
    > boot after reboot -- -r, but what does it do (other than the normal boot?).

    Another option is to touch /reconfigure and then either init 6' or use
    the shutdown command.

+ Reply to Thread