Installing Solaris 10 on my Notebook, Tablet, or Desktop - Solaris

This is a discussion on Installing Solaris 10 on my Notebook, Tablet, or Desktop - Solaris ; I just received my pack of discs for the Solaris 10 Operating system. I have tried to install it on my Sony VAIO notebook. I set the priorities for the notebook to look first to boot from the CD/DVD drive. ...

  1. Installing Solaris 10 on my Notebook, Tablet, or Desktop

    I just received my pack of discs for the Solaris 10 Operating system. I have tried to install it on my Sony VAIO notebook. I set the priorities for the notebook to look first to boot from the CD/DVD drive. It did not boot. The Windows XP operating system is the resident operating system. I then tried it with my Dell desktop and when that didnt work I tried it on my Motion Computing Tablet. All of these have Windows XP as the native operating system. None of them booted from the DVD.

    I talked to Sun and they said that I would have to go directly to the BIOS to tell it to boot from the DVD drive. I apologize for being ignorant but I cant remember how to go directly to the BIOS either thru the cmd window or otherwise to direct the system to boot directly from the disc drive.

    I would appreciate any help.

    Thomas Keaton

  2. Re: Installing Solaris 10 on my Notebook, Tablet, or Desktop

    Thomas Keaton wrote:

    > I just received my pack of discs for the Solaris 10 Operating system. I have tried to install it on my Sony VAIO notebook. I set the priorities for the notebook to look first to boot from the CD/DVD drive. It did not boot. The Windows XP operating system is the resident operating system. I then tried it with my Dell desktop and when that didnt work I tried it on my Motion Computing Tablet. All of these have Windows XP as the native operating system. None of them booted from the DVD.
    >
    > I talked to Sun and they said that I would have to go directly to the BIOS to tell it to boot from the DVD drive. I apologize for being ignorant but I cant remember how to go directly to the BIOS either thru the cmd window or otherwise to direct the system to boot directly from the disc drive.
    >
    > I would appreciate any help.

    Check the messages that come up on your system's screen when it resets or powers
    up. It will likely say something to the effect of, "F2 to run setup", or "Press
    DEL to enter setup" or something similar.

    Once into the BIOS setup, you'll likely find an option to set the boot device
    scan sequence. Some machines, such as IBM's ThinkPad notebooks, have a POST time
    option to select an alternate boot device (may be F12, I think).

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  3. Re: Installing Solaris 10 on my Notebook, Tablet, or Desktop

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:30:40 -0500, David J Dachtera
    wrote:

    >Thomas Keaton wrote:
    >>
    >> I just received my pack of discs for the Solaris 10 Operating system. I have tried to install it on my Sony VAIO notebook. I set the priorities for the notebook to look first to boot from the CD/DVD drive. It did not boot. The Windows XP operating system is the resident operating system. I then tried it with my Dell desktop and when that didnt work I tried it on my Motion Computing Tablet. All of these have Windows XP as the native operating system. None of them booted from the DVD.
    >>
    >> I talked to Sun and they said that I would have to go directly to the BIOS to tell it to boot from the DVD drive. I apologize for being ignorant but I cant remember how to go directly to the BIOS either thru the cmd window or otherwise to direct the system to boot directly from the disc drive.
    >>
    >> I would appreciate any help.

    >Check the messages that come up on your system's screen when it resets or powers
    >up. It will likely say something to the effect of, "F2 to run setup", or "Press
    >DEL to enter setup" or something similar.
    >
    >Once into the BIOS setup, you'll likely find an option to set the boot device
    >scan sequence. Some machines, such as IBM's ThinkPad notebooks, have a POST time
    >option to select an alternate boot device (may be F12, I think).

    [to the OP]

    Sounds like you _are_ able to set boot order in your laptop at least.
    Most machines will default to CD/DVD first anyway - as long as it is
    DVD drive with bootable media installed.

    Sorry for asking, but any chance you are trying to boot a SPARC DVD
    instead of the x86 one?

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington