Solaris 10 x86 and Windows Vista - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 x86 and Windows Vista - Solaris ; I'm considering installing Solaris 10 x86 as a dual boot option on my home system, which is currently running Windows Vista. I use Solaris 10 Unix systems (remotely) at work, and would like to get more familiar with it at ...

  1. Solaris 10 x86 and Windows Vista

    I'm considering installing Solaris 10 x86 as a dual boot option on
    my home system, which is currently running Windows Vista.

    I use Solaris 10 Unix systems (remotely) at work, and would like to
    get more familiar with it at home as well.

    Questions:

    1) How easy is it to install Solaris 10 x86 as a dual boot option with
    M$ Vista?

    2) Does the Solaris 10 x86 install employ any kind of GUI interface,
    similar to X-Windows GUI's like Gnome or KDE, etc?

    3) I have used Red Hat and Ubuntu Linux systems. How different
    is Solaris 10 x86 to use? (I only use the command line shell
    interface for the systems I access remotely at work).

    4) Is there really a benefit to using Solaris 10 x86 over a good Linux
    OS?

    Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions you might have.

    ---

    - Scott Smith: liberal-bias@sludgereport.org
    MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith
    Blue States Rising: http://www.bluestaterising.blogspot.com

  2. Re: Solaris 10 x86 and Windows Vista

    In article ,
    S. Smith wrote:
    >1) How easy is it to install Solaris 10 x86 as a dual boot option with
    > M$ Vista?

    Very easy.
    Use a Knoppix LiveCD to resize your Vista fdisk partition.

    On a laptop or desktop machine, you may prefer Solaris Express over
    Solaris 10.

    >2) Does the Solaris 10 x86 install employ any kind of GUI interface,
    > similar to X-Windows GUI's like Gnome or KDE, etc?

    GNOME comes standard.

    >3) I have used Red Hat and Ubuntu Linux systems. How different
    > is Solaris 10 x86 to use? (I only use the command line shell
    > interface for the systems I access remotely at work).

    Different.
    I only use the command-line shell to manage a RHEL installation,
    but I find the differences are manageable.

    >4) Is there really a benefit to using Solaris 10 x86 over a good Linux
    > OS?

    If you're happy with your Linux installations, then there's
    no benefit to Solaris.

    If you're curious about Solaris, then you can easily try it.

    Happy hacking,
    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Solaris 10 x86 and Windows Vista

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:12:21 +0000 (UTC), groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John
    Groenveld) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >S. Smith wrote:
    >>1) How easy is it to install Solaris 10 x86 as a dual boot option with
    >> M$ Vista?

    >Very easy.
    >Use a Knoppix LiveCD to resize your Vista fdisk partition.
    >
    >On a laptop or desktop machine, you may prefer Solaris Express over
    >Solaris 10.
    >

    >>2) Does the Solaris 10 x86 install employ any kind of GUI interface,
    >> similar to X-Windows GUI's like Gnome or KDE, etc?

    >GNOME comes standard.
    >
    >>3) I have used Red Hat and Ubuntu Linux systems. How different
    >> is Solaris 10 x86 to use? (I only use the command line shell
    >> interface for the systems I access remotely at work).

    >Different.
    >I only use the command-line shell to manage a RHEL installation,
    >but I find the differences are manageable.
    >
    >>4) Is there really a benefit to using Solaris 10 x86 over a good Linux
    >> OS?

    >If you're happy with your Linux installations, then there's
    >no benefit to Solaris.
    >
    >If you're curious about Solaris, then you can easily try it.
    >
    >Happy hacking,
    >John
    >groenveld@acm.org

    Thanks for the info and suggestions, John.

    I think I'll follow your advice and use Knoppix LiveCD for the
    partitioning up front.

    Does Solaris offer Lilo, or something equivalent, during it's install
    for the dual boot option?

    ---

    - Scott Smith: liberal-bias@sludgereport.org
    MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/choppersmith
    Blue States Rising: http://www.bluestaterising.blogspot.com

  4. Re: Solaris 10 x86 and Windows Vista

    On 2007-10-24 20:12:21 +0100, groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John Groenveld) said:

    > In article ,
    > S. Smith wrote:
    >> 1) How easy is it to install Solaris 10 x86 as a dual boot option with
    >> M$ Vista?

    > Very easy.
    > Use a Knoppix LiveCD to resize your Vista fdisk partition.

    Does changing a partition size mean Vista's license needs resetting?

    Cheers,

    Chris

  5. Re: Solaris 10 x86 and Windows Vista

    In article <5oaqsdFm568vU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Chris Ridd wrote:
    >Does changing a partition size mean Vista's license needs resetting?

    No.
    In fact, Vista includes a tool for resizing its fdisk partition,
    but I stuck with Bob Netherton's advice.

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

+ Reply to Thread