Solaris 10 on Dell Inspiron 6400 - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 on Dell Inspiron 6400 - Solaris ; I've just installed Solaris 10 onto my laptop but cannot get the resolution right. I have the model with the integrated intel 945GM graphics. I want to get the resolution to 1280x800 but at the moment I can't get it ...

  1. Solaris 10 on Dell Inspiron 6400

    I've just installed Solaris 10 onto my laptop but cannot get the
    resolution right. I have the model with the integrated intel 945GM
    graphics. I want to get the resolution to 1280x800 but at the moment I
    can't get it above 1024x768 using either Xsun or Xorg. Has anyone got
    this working before? Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Phil

  2. Re: Solaris 10 on Dell Inspiron 6400

    On Oct 21, 3:25 am, philip.stenn...@imperial.ac.uk wrote:
    > I've just installed Solaris 10 onto my laptop but cannot get the
    > resolution right. I have the model with the integrated intel 945GM
    > graphics. I want to get the resolution to 1280x800 but at the moment I
    > can't get it above 1024x768 using either Xsun or Xorg. Has anyone got
    > this working before? Any ideas?

    What docs have you read before attempting this...?
    I have so called wide screen resolution working on my laptop @1208x800
    I simply created my own /etc/xorg.conf file after determining the
    Modeline values
    to be: Modeline "1280x800@60" 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816 824
    841
    in: Section "Monitor"
    There is a binary - I think in /usr/X11R6/bin I think that will return
    the correct numbers
    your your video card. Too bad I cant remember what it is called..
    Then changing the SubSection "Display" Depth 24 area in: Section
    "Screen" to:
    Modes "1280x800" rather than a whole list of useless window sizes.

    I dont think you can do this with XSun

    > Phil

  3. Re: Solaris 10 on Dell Inspiron 6400

    On 21 Oct, 16:37, gerryt wrote:
    > On Oct 21, 3:25 am, philip.stenn...@imperial.ac.uk wrote:
    >
    > > I've just installed Solaris 10 onto my laptop but cannot get the
    > > resolution right. I have the model with the integrated intel 945GM
    > > graphics. I want to get the resolution to 1280x800 but at the moment I
    > > can't get it above 1024x768 using either Xsun or Xorg. Has anyone got
    > > this working before? Any ideas?

    > What docs have you read before attempting this...?
    > I have so called wide screen resolution working on my laptop @1208x800
    > I simply created my own /etc/xorg.conf file after determining the
    > Modeline values
    > to be: Modeline "1280x800@60" 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816 824
    > 841
    > in: Section "Monitor"
    > There is a binary - I think in /usr/X11R6/bin I think that will return
    > the correct numbers
    > your your video card. Too bad I cant remember what it is called..
    > Then changing the SubSection "Display" Depth 24 area in: Section
    > "Screen" to:
    > Modes "1280x800" rather than a whole list of useless window sizes.
    >
    > I dont think you can do this with XSun
    >
    > > Phil

    Thanks for the information. Someone else told me that the latest
    version of Open Solaris works ok with the laptop so have switched to
    that with no problems.

+ Reply to Thread