needs resfresh backup using cdrw - Solaris

This is a discussion on needs resfresh backup using cdrw - Solaris ; Hello , I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - ...

  1. needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    Hello ,
    I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    only to the DVD.
    What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    feature ?

  2. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    happytoday wrote:
    > Hello ,
    > I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    > but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    > the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    > only to the DVD.
    > What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    > feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    > feature ?

    I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.

    I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    your backups have gone.

    Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

  3. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    On Oct 13, 10:02 am, Dave wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    > > Hello ,
    > > I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    > > but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    > > the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    > > only to the DVD.
    > > What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    > > feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    > > feature ?

    > I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.
    >
    > I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    > quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    > your backups have gone.
    >
    > Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    > data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    > easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    If you have no other way to do backups, then indeed burn a single
    backup to DVD, but make sure you test the DVD before you consider the
    backup done. Nothing like a tape for backup though. Even though it is
    fashionable these days to back up to disk, I still want a tape to
    take off-site. Now copying whole filesystems to a staging disk and
    then to tape, that has many advantages.

  4. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    On Oct 13, 5:02 pm, Dave wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    > > Hello ,
    > > I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    > > but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    > > the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    > > only to the DVD.
    > > What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    > > feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    > > feature ?

    > I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.
    >
    > I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    > quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    > your backups have gone.
    >
    > Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    > data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    > easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    Can anybody provide me with options with cdrw to write with updated
    files only .
    Thanks indvance for your help .

  5. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    On Oct 13, 12:48 pm, happytoday wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 5:02 pm, Dave wrote:
    >

    > > happytoday wrote:
    > > > Hello ,
    > > > I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    > > > but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    > > > the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    > > > only to the DVD.
    > > > What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    > > > feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    > > > feature ?

    > > I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.

    > > I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    > > quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    > > your backups have gone.

    > > Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    > > data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    > > easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    I think if you removed the plastic casing on tapes they wouldnt last
    long either : /

    > Can anybody provide me with options with cdrw to write with updated
    > files only .
    > Thanks indvance for your help .

    indvance?? Say what? We dont need to help you as the cdrw man page
    explains exactly what option you need to create a multi-session disk.
    This is such a lousy idea anyway I suggest you just use DVD+RW
    media...

  6. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    happytoday wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 5:02 pm, Dave wrote:
    >> happytoday wrote:
    >>> Hello ,
    >>> I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    >>> but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    >>> the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    >>> only to the DVD.
    >>> What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    >>> feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    >>> feature ?

    >> I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.
    >>
    >> I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    >> quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    >> your backups have gone.
    >>
    >> Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    >> data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    >> easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    > Can anybody provide me with options with cdrw to write with updated
    > files only .
    > Thanks indvance for your help .

    As Dave said, don't risk it, just use a new blank. Compare the value of
    you data with the cost of a blank DVD-R.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  7. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    happytoday wrote:

    >> I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.
    >>
    >> I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    >> quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    >> your backups have gone.
    >>
    >> Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    >> data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    >> easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    > Can anybody provide me with options with cdrw to write with updated
    > files only .
    > Thanks indvance for your help .

    If you insist in taking the risk, look at the man page for cdrw - it is
    quite clear. The man page is quite small, so it is not hard to find.

    But so far 100% of the people replying (3 of us), all feel it is better
    to use a new DVD if you want to back up to DVD. That should be telling
    you something.

  8. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    happytoday wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 5:02 pm, Dave wrote:
    >
    >>happytoday wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello ,
    >>>I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    >>>but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    >>>the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    >>>only to the DVD.
    >>>What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    >>>feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    >>>feature ?

    >>I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.
    >>
    >>I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    >>quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    >>your backups have gone.
    >>
    >>Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    >>data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    >>easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    > Can anybody provide me with options with cdrw to write with updated
    > files only .

    The above sentence is ambiguous! (Actually I'm surprised that no one
    has answered simply "Yes!" or "No!".)

    Do you want to add files to a CDRW that has already been written? Or
    do you want to write a blank CDRW with only the files written since the
    last backup?

    The first option, as several others have pointed out is unwise. The
    second can be accomplished using "find" to locate the files written
    since the last backup.

  9. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    Dave wrote:
    > happytoday wrote:
    >
    >> Hello ,
    >> I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    >> but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    >> the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    >> only to the DVD.
    >> What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    >> feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    >> feature ?
    >>

    > I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.
    >
    > I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    > quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    > your backups have gone.
    >
    > Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    > data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    > easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    Tape is easily as fragile, in different ways, as CDRW or DVDRW. Tape
    can be cut, stretched, overwritten, burned, attacked by solvents or
    other chemical agents, degaussed, etc, etc. I've seen a tape or two or
    three hopelessly mangled by the drive. . . .

    I can recall, many years ago, seeing an 8mm tape backup on an IRIX
    system complete with several THOUSAND errors (and yes, I was using data
    grade tape). I wondered, at the time, why anyone would trust such a
    backup. It was, however, all I had!

    Now compare the cost of the drives and the cost of the media! Frankly,
    CDRW or DVDRW looks very tempting!

  10. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    On Oct 13, 4:53 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > Dave wrote:
    > > happytoday wrote:

    > >> Hello ,
    > >> I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    > >> but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    > >> the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    > >> only to the DVD.
    > >> What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    > >> feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    > >> feature ?

    > > I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.

    > > I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    > > quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    > > your backups have gone.

    > > Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    > > data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    > > easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    > Tape is easily as fragile, in different ways, as CDRW or DVDRW. Tape
    > can be cut, stretched, overwritten, burned, attacked by solvents or
    > other chemical agents, degaussed, etc, etc. I've seen a tape or two or
    > three hopelessly mangled by the drive. . . .
    >
    > I can recall, many years ago, seeing an 8mm tape backup on an IRIX
    > system complete with several THOUSAND errors (and yes, I was using data
    > grade tape). I wondered, at the time, why anyone would trust such a
    > backup. It was, however, all I had!
    >
    > Now compare the cost of the drives and the cost of the media! Frankly,
    > CDRW or DVDRW looks very tempting!

    I just paid $100 for a used DLT1 loader. Assuming I use hardware
    compression that is a 1TB of backup. Tapes are running between $5 and
    $10 each. I would need 5 tapes and 6 hours to backup and verify a
    500gb partition. A blueray DVD holds 50gb costs about $1000 for the
    drive and $20 for a DVD blank. To backup the same 500gb with the
    blueray disk would require 10 DVDs and 50gb of ADDITIONAL DISK SPACE
    for the iso images. You would manually have to partition your backups
    to fit on the DVD's and load each DVD. At night before O go to bed I
    load the tape loader with tapes and go to bed. in the morning the logs
    show me if a tape failed to verify. I used to have troubles with 8mm
    tapes, but moved to 4mm drives due to poor reliability of the 8mm
    drives. I moved to DLT's for capacity and have no problems. Consider
    that an 80GB DLT can be had for $10 and tapes for a $1 it's hard to
    justify the expense and problems with DVD's

  11. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    rpasken@eas.slu.edu wrote:
    > On Oct 13, 4:53 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Dave wrote:

    >>>I don't know if it does, but cdrecord would be a likely candidate.

    >>>I'd be a bit weary of multi-session writing to DVDs as a backup. It's
    >>>quite easy to screw up the writing process and give you a coaster. Then
    >>>your backups have gone.

    >>>Despite all the claims, optical media seem one of the most unreliable
    >>>data storage media to me - far less reliable than disk or tape. It is
    >>>easy to get an error writing, and they are physically easily damaged.

    >>Tape is easily as fragile, in different ways, as CDRW or DVDRW. Tape
    >>can be cut, stretched, overwritten, burned, attacked by solvents or
    >>other chemical agents, degaussed, etc, etc. I've seen a tape or two or
    >>three hopelessly mangled by the drive. . . .
    >>
    >>I can recall, many years ago, seeing an 8mm tape backup on an IRIX
    >>system complete with several THOUSAND errors (and yes, I was using data
    >>grade tape). I wondered, at the time, why anyone would trust such a
    >>backup. It was, however, all I had!
    >>
    >>Now compare the cost of the drives and the cost of the media! Frankly,
    >>CDRW or DVDRW looks very tempting!

    > I just paid $100 for a used DLT1 loader. Assuming I use hardware
    > compression that is a 1TB of backup. Tapes are running between $5 and
    > $10 each. I would need 5 tapes and 6 hours to backup and verify a
    > 500gb partition. A blueray DVD holds 50gb costs about $1000 for the
    > drive and $20 for a DVD blank. To backup the same 500gb with the
    > blueray disk would require 10 DVDs and 50gb of ADDITIONAL DISK SPACE
    > for the iso images. You would manually have to partition your backups
    > to fit on the DVD's and load each DVD. At night before O go to bed I
    > load the tape loader with tapes and go to bed. in the morning the logs
    > show me if a tape failed to verify. I used to have troubles with 8mm
    > tapes, but moved to 4mm drives due to poor reliability of the 8mm
    > drives. I moved to DLT's for capacity and have no problems. Consider
    > that an 80GB DLT can be had for $10 and tapes for a $1 it's hard to
    > justify the expense and problems with DVD's

    A NEW DLT drive sells for $2000 US and up! (Without autoloader or
    stacker) I bought a used one for $35, spent $300 US to have it
    repaired, and it STILL didn't work!

  12. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    On Oct 14, 10:07 am, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    wrote:
    > rpas...@eas.slu.edu wrote:
    > > On Oct 13, 4:53 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert"
    > > wrote:

    > >>Tape is easily as fragile, in different ways, as CDRW or DVDRW. Tape
    > >>can be cut, stretched, overwritten, burned, attacked by solvents or
    > >>other chemical agents, degaussed, etc, etc. I've seen a tape or two or
    > >>three hopelessly mangled by the drive. . . .

    > >>I can recall, many years ago, seeing an 8mm tape backup on an IRIX
    > >>system complete with several THOUSAND errors (and yes, I was using data
    > >>grade tape). I wondered, at the time, why anyone would trust such a
    > >>backup. It was, however, all I had!

    > >>Now compare the cost of the drives and the cost of the media! Frankly,
    > >>CDRW or DVDRW looks very tempting!

    > > I just paid $100 for a used DLT1 loader. Assuming I use hardware
    > > compression that is a 1TB of backup. Tapes are running between $5 and
    > > $10 each. I would need 5 tapes and 6 hours to backup and verify a
    > > 500gb partition. A blueray DVD holds 50gb costs about $1000 for the
    > > drive and $20 for a DVD blank. To backup the same 500gb with the
    > > blueray disk would require 10 DVDs and 50gb of ADDITIONAL DISK SPACE
    > > for the iso images. You would manually have to partition your backups
    > > to fit on the DVD's and load each DVD. At night before O go to bed I
    > > load the tape loader with tapes and go to bed. in the morning the logs
    > > show me if a tape failed to verify. I used to have troubles with 8mm
    > > tapes, but moved to 4mm drives due to poor reliability of the 8mm
    > > drives. I moved to DLT's for capacity and have no problems. Consider
    > > that an 80GB DLT can be had for $10 and tapes for a $1 it's hard to
    > > justify the expense and problems with DVD's

    > A NEW DLT drive sells for $2000 US and up! (Without autoloader or
    > stacker) I bought a used one for $35, spent $300 US to have it
    > repaired, and it STILL didn't work!

    Of course you can go to Sun or HP and buy a 320/640gb DLT for $2000
    list! I just looked on ebay an found a DLT 10/20gb for $800, so I am
    sure you can spend a lot for a tape drive. On the other hand a quick
    look on ebay show dozens of DLT8000's from resellers with 90 day
    warranties for under $20.Just remember a DL-DVD-R holds 8gb, backup
    80gb means 10 DVDs with losts of manual intervention as opposed to a
    single DLT with no manual intervention

  13. Re: needs resfresh backup using cdrw

    happytoday wrote:
    > Hello ,
    > I need to make in a regulat basis a backup for /export/home directory
    > but I need to do it on DVD using multiseesion and refreshing update to
    > the DVD/RW as Nero is doing to any RW media - backup the new files
    > only to the DVD.
    > What the options used with cdrw or even if cdrw not support this
    > feature (refresh) what burnning software used to support that
    > feature ?

    have a look at growisofs, might be what you are looking for.

    from manpage growisofs ...
    NOTES
    This utility is part of dvd+rw-tools. The source for
    dvd+rw-tools is available in the SUNWdvdrwS package.
    http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW
    /jorgen

+ Reply to Thread