can't mount DVD - Solaris

This is a discussion on can't mount DVD - Solaris ; I recently installed S10 on my PIII, not really expecting it to work. To my surprise, it went on like a thumb in a bum, recognizing my Vibra128, Pioneer 111D drive and Geforce II MX200 64M graphics card without a ...

  1. can't mount DVD

    I recently installed S10 on my PIII, not really expecting it to
    work. To my surprise, it went on like a thumb in a bum, recognizing
    my Vibra128, Pioneer 111D drive and Geforce II MX200 64M graphics card
    without a hitch.
    Of course, the first thing I want to do is switch my resolution
    to 1024x768, but I don't want to muck about with files using vim (I
    hate it!) but I can't install emacs until I figure out how to mount
    the Software Companion DVD.
    I have volmgt running, and it's supposed to automatically mount
    that disk somewhere, but I can't find it. Turning volmgt off and
    trying to mount manually gives me a 'no mount device' error, or words
    to that effect, and no amount of scanning posts in search of a
    solution has gotten it to work.
    Can anyone help???
    Please reply in group...

  2. Re: can't mount DVD

    diespammers@nowhere.net.au wrote:
    > I recently installed S10 on my PIII, not really expecting it to
    > work. To my surprise, it went on like a thumb in a bum, recognizing
    > my Vibra128, Pioneer 111D drive and Geforce II MX200 64M graphics card
    > without a hitch.
    > Of course, the first thing I want to do is switch my resolution
    > to 1024x768, but I don't want to muck about with files using vim (I
    > hate it!) but I can't install emacs until I figure out how to mount
    > the Software Companion DVD.
    > I have volmgt running, and it's supposed to automatically mount
    > that disk somewhere, but I can't find it.

    It should be under /cdrom or /media

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: can't mount DVD

    On 11 Oct 2007 06:51:46 GMT, andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Gabriel) wrote:

    >In article ,
    > diespammers@nowhere.net.au writes:
    >> I recently installed S10 on my PIII, not really expecting it to
    >> work. To my surprise, it went on like a thumb in a bum, recognizing
    >> my Vibra128, Pioneer 111D drive and Geforce II MX200 64M graphics card
    >> without a hitch.
    >> Of course, the first thing I want to do is switch my resolution
    >> to 1024x768, but I don't want to muck about with files using vim (I
    >> hate it!) but I can't install emacs until I figure out how to mount
    >> the Software Companion DVD.

    >On that system, you can probably run Sun's X server.
    >Login to the console in command line mode as root,
    >and run kdmconfig. Select Xsun on the first screen,
    >and then go through the other setup and test screens.
    >
    >> I have volmgt running, and it's supposed to automatically mount
    >> that disk somewhere, but I can't find it. Turning volmgt off and
    >> trying to mount manually gives me a 'no mount device' error, or words
    >> to that effect, and no amount of scanning posts in search of a
    >> solution has gotten it to work.
    >> Can anyone help???

    >You can use df to see what's mounted where.
    >You will probably find /cdrom/cdrom0 is a link to it,
    >when it's mounted automatically by vold..

    Okay. A bit of lateral thinking...I got suspicious and tried
    that DVD in various other machines, along with other S10 disks taken
    out at random from my box. Lo and behold! Software Companion was the
    only one that wouldn't let XP or Vista read it, so I guess it's a call
    to Sun for replacement DVD (fingers crossed).

  4. Re: can't mount DVD

    wrote in message
    > On 11 Oct 2007 06:51:46 GMT, andrew@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    > Gabriel) wrote:
    >
    >>In article ,
    >> diespammers@nowhere.net.au writes:
    >>> I recently installed S10 on my PIII, not really expecting it to
    >>> work. To my surprise, it went on like a thumb in a bum, recognizing
    >>> my Vibra128, Pioneer 111D drive and Geforce II MX200 64M graphics card
    >>> without a hitch.
    >>> Of course, the first thing I want to do is switch my resolution
    >>> to 1024x768, but I don't want to muck about with files using vim (I
    >>> hate it!) but I can't install emacs until I figure out how to mount
    >>> the Software Companion DVD.

    >>On that system, you can probably run Sun's X server.
    >>Login to the console in command line mode as root,
    >>and run kdmconfig. Select Xsun on the first screen,
    >>and then go through the other setup and test screens.
    >>
    >>> I have volmgt running, and it's supposed to automatically mount
    >>> that disk somewhere, but I can't find it. Turning volmgt off and
    >>> trying to mount manually gives me a 'no mount device' error, or words
    >>> to that effect, and no amount of scanning posts in search of a
    >>> solution has gotten it to work.
    >>> Can anyone help???

    >>You can use df to see what's mounted where.
    >>You will probably find /cdrom/cdrom0 is a link to it,
    >>when it's mounted automatically by vold..

    > Okay. A bit of lateral thinking...I got suspicious and tried
    > that DVD in various other machines, along with other S10 disks taken
    > out at random from my box. Lo and behold! Software Companion was the
    > only one that wouldn't let XP or Vista read it, so I guess it's a call
    > to Sun for replacement DVD (fingers crossed).

    It is downloadable (x86 and Sparc are on the same DVD).

+ Reply to Thread