boot archive vs. headless server - Solaris

This is a discussion on boot archive vs. headless server - Solaris ; I've occasionaly run across a boot archive out of sync and it means having to drag the system to a monitor, attached a keyboard and see why the hell it won't boot any more. For a system that is tucked ...

  1. boot archive vs. headless server

    I've occasionaly run across a boot archive out of sync and it means having
    to drag the system to a monitor, attached a keyboard and see why the
    hell it won't boot any more. For a system that is tucked away with
    only a network connection, this is a major pain.

    I had upgraded to sn73 using a live upgrade. Everything seemed fine;
    system rebooted ok.

    Until I had a power failure and the system didn't boot. Draged a monitor
    a keyboard to the system and it turned out that my boot archive was out of
    sync. Well, duh! I just installed a new OS upgrade. Why didn't the OS
    upgrade leave it in sync? Why did the system have to be powered down until
    it was discovered?

    How can I insure that they're in sync next time I do an upgrade? Is there
    a command to put them back in sync that I can run without having to
    boot in failsafe with a monitor and keyboard?

    Is there any way to ssh to a machine that has the boot archive out of sync
    instead of having to drag out a monitor and keyboard? It uses a tyan
    server board. Would an RS232 connection have worked.

  2. Re: boot archive vs. headless server

    On 30 Sep 2007 16:46:53 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    >You can redefine the serial port to be the console. That's
    >done with suitable boot options added in the grub boot menu.
    >I've done that with some systems I look after where there's
    >no keyboard or monitor around, and then you can use a laptop
    >as a temporary serial port console, or cross-connect it to
    >the serial port of another system nearby. You need a BIOS
    >which doesn't hang with "keyboard error press F1 to continue!"
    >when there's no keyboard connected.

    I'm using a tyan server motherboard, so it definately can as I normally
    run w/ nothing connected but a power cord and network cable.

    >The other thing I'm thinking of doing, having been caught out
    >a few times in the same way, is to run "bootadm update-archive"
    >periodically from a cron job. On a system which runs continuously
    >and only goes down very occasionally due to power outage, the
    >boot archive is otherwise pretty much guaranteed to be out-of-
    >date, resulting in failure to come back up unaided after the
    >event.

    I usually know when I've been screwing around with the kernal, so I can
    do that manually. The only other time I got caught with a boot-archive out
    of sync was when I had changed a kernel driver param (jumbo frames on the
    ethernet)

+ Reply to Thread