eeprom acpi-user-options ruins(?) computer - Solaris

This is a discussion on eeprom acpi-user-options ruins(?) computer - Solaris ; Hi, I finally found time to try "eeprom acpi-user-options" with the values 0x8, 0x4 and 0x2. Unfortunately, the computer reboots after grub. As far as I can tell now, no matter the value. It does show errors, but they show ...

  1. eeprom acpi-user-options ruins(?) computer

    Hi,

    I finally found time to try "eeprom acpi-user-options" with the values
    0x8, 0x4 and 0x2. Unfortunately, the computer reboots after grub. As far
    as I can tell now, no matter the value. It does show errors, but they
    show for too short to read what they are. Failsafe mode does boot ok,
    but the changes I make to acpi... don't make the computer boot stable.
    Any suggestions on what to do next?

    Thanks

  2. Re: eeprom acpi-user-options ruins(?) computer

    Huub wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I finally found time to try "eeprom acpi-user-options" with the values
    > 0x8, 0x4 and 0x2. Unfortunately, the computer reboots after grub. As far
    > as I can tell now, no matter the value. It does show errors, but they
    > show for too short to read what they are. Failsafe mode does boot ok,
    > but the changes I make to acpi... don't make the computer boot stable.
    > Any suggestions on what to do next?
    >
    > Thanks

    Just a guess, is there a button to set default specs in the bios screen?
    Or is there a selection for failsafe bios settings? For example mine
    lets me pick Max Performance. (overclocked some amount) Normal, and
    "Safe" whatever that is. And of course I can dial in specific settings
    as you have done, the end result being sometimes a computer that won't
    boot past Grub.

  3. Re: eeprom acpi-user-options ruins(?) computer

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:26:01 +0200, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    >Hi,

    >I finally found time to try "eeprom acpi-user-options" with the values
    >0x8, 0x4 and 0x2. Unfortunately, the computer reboots after grub. As far
    >as I can tell now, no matter the value. It does show errors, but they
    >show for too short to read what they are. Failsafe mode does boot ok,
    >but the changes I make to acpi... don't make the computer boot stable.
    >Any suggestions on what to do next?

    set it to 0x0, the default where acpi will be used if it is available
    and only then?

  4. Re: eeprom acpi-user-options ruins(?) computer

    > set it to 0x0, the default where acpi will be used if it is available
    > and only then?

    Unfortunately, setting it to 0x0 doesn't work either. Other suggestions
    are welcome.

  5. Re: eeprom acpi-user-options ruins(?) computer

    On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 22:26:01 +0200, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    >Hi,

    >I finally found time to try "eeprom acpi-user-options" with the values
    >0x8, 0x4 and 0x2. Unfortunately, the computer reboots after grub. As far
    >as I can tell now, no matter the value. It does show errors, but they
    >show for too short to read what they are. Failsafe mode does boot ok,
    >but the changes I make to acpi... don't make the computer boot stable.
    >Any suggestions on what to do next?

    Have you looked for errors in /var/log/syslog (and perhaps around
    the var/sadm tree?). Also, run dmesg to look at bootup messages.

+ Reply to Thread