NICs and hyperthreading... - Solaris

This is a discussion on NICs and hyperthreading... - Solaris ; I'm running S10u3 on a P4, quite happily, and I thought, "I'll turn on HT and see what happens." Well, it works, and *seems* to make things a bit snappier. (I know, it's probably all in my mind!) But!! It ...

  1. NICs and hyperthreading...

    I'm running S10u3 on a P4, quite happily, and I thought, "I'll turn on
    HT and see what happens."

    Well, it works, and *seems* to make things a bit snappier. (I know,
    it's probably all in my mind!)

    But!!

    It buggers up the networking!!! The link goes down and up like the
    proverbial whores-drawers once there is some traffic over it.

    Now, this same system does *not* display this behaviour when HT'ing
    running Windows XP or RHEL, so I'm going to blame the drivers.

    The card(s) (because one is built-in and I had a spare) are RealTek
    based, (i.e. cheap!), and I thought I'd scan the HCL and so on to see if
    anyone mentions NICs that work with HT.

    No, not a one.

    Bugger!

    So, anyone run a non-RealTek PCI-based NIC with HT turned on and had it fly?

    Suggestions as to any non-RealTek chipset that *might* work are also
    welcome, just don't say "SysKonnect", I can't find a distributor for
    them here in Oz, and my German is non-existant so I can't order from
    their page.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

  2. Re: NICs and hyperthreading...

    On 2007-09-14 08:05:06 +0100, "Gary R. Schmidt" said:

    > So, anyone run a non-RealTek PCI-based NIC with HT turned on and had it fly?

    The e1000g in my Dell box is working fine with HT turned on. Sun use
    that chipset in their hardware too, so the driver's likely to be good
    quality.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  3. Re: NICs and hyperthreading...

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > I'm running S10u3 on a P4, quite happily, and I thought, "I'll turn on
    > HT and see what happens."
    >
    > Well, it works, and *seems* to make things a bit snappier. (I know,
    > it's probably all in my mind!)
    >
    > But!!
    >
    > It buggers up the networking!!! The link goes down and up like the
    > proverbial whores-drawers once there is some traffic over it.
    >
    > Now, this same system does *not* display this behaviour when HT'ing
    > running Windows XP or RHEL, so I'm going to blame the drivers.
    >
    > The card(s) (because one is built-in and I had a spare) are RealTek
    > based, (i.e. cheap!), and I thought I'd scan the HCL and so on to see if
    > anyone mentions NICs that work with HT.
    >
    > No, not a one.
    >
    > Bugger!
    >
    > So, anyone run a non-RealTek PCI-based NIC with HT turned on and had it fly?
    >
    > Suggestions as to any non-RealTek chipset that *might* work are also
    > welcome, just don't say "SysKonnect", I can't find a distributor for
    > them here in Oz, and my German is non-existant so I can't order from
    > their page.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Gary B-)

    Hi,

    You didn't say which NICs you do have, but you might try the drivers at:

    http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/

    to see if they work better...

    Jim

  4. Re: NICs and hyperthreading...

    ohaya wrote:
    [SNIP]
    > You didn't say which NICs you do have, but you might try the drivers at:
    >
    > http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/
    >
    > to see if they work better...

    My bad - 8139, and I should have thought of his site too! Thanx.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  5. Re: NICs and hyperthreading...

    Chris Ridd wrote:
    > On 2007-09-14 08:05:06 +0100, "Gary R. Schmidt" said:
    >
    >> So, anyone run a non-RealTek PCI-based NIC with HT turned on and had
    >> it fly?

    > The e1000g in my Dell box is working fine with HT turned on. Sun use
    > that chipset in their hardware too, so the driver's likely to be good
    > quality.

    Okay, so just about any Intel Gigabit card might do?

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries