Solaris compile problems - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris compile problems - Solaris ; I'm attempting to compile fftw on Solaris 10. Upon typing it says that gcc and cc aren't found. Yet, they are in the path in . Here is the output: # ./configure checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c checking ...

  1. Solaris compile problems

    I'm attempting to compile fftw on Solaris 10. Upon typing <./configure> it
    says that gcc and cc aren't found. Yet, they are in the path in <.profile>.

    Here is the output:

    # ./configure
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... no
    checking for nawk... nawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
    checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.10
    checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.10
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl.exe... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

    Typing /usr/ccs/bin/./make (as su) results in:

    make: Fatal error: No arguments to build

    Typing /usr/sfw/bin/./gmake (as su) results in:

    gmake: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

    I've compiled fftw on Linux and Free BSD with no problems. A number of
    years ago, I compiled several programs on Solaris 8 without these problems.

    What am I missing?

    Sorry for my ignorance.

    - John

  2. Re: Solaris compile problems

    In article <46e74eab$0$84926$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net>,
    wrote:
    >I'm attempting to compile fftw on Solaris 10. Upon typing <./configure> it
    >says that gcc and cc aren't found. Yet, they are in the path in <.profile>.
    >
    >Here is the output:
    >
    ># ./configure

    Assuming you have Sun Studio installed, try:
    $ env PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin ./configure

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Solaris compile problems

    On 12 Sep 2007 02:27:55 GMT
    jjnunes@sonic.net wrote:

    > I'm attempting to compile fftw on Solaris 10. Upon typing
    > <./configure> it says that gcc and cc aren't found. Yet, they are in
    > the path in <.profile>.
    >
    > Here is the output:
    >
    > # ./configure
    > checking for a BSD-compatible install... ./install-sh -c
    > checking for gawk... no
    > checking for mawk... no
    > checking for nawk... nawk
    > checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
    > checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of
    > Makefiles... no checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.10
    > checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.10
    > checking for gcc... no
    > checking for cc... no
    > checking for cl.exe... no
    > configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    >
    > Typing /usr/ccs/bin/./make (as su) results in:
    >
    > make: Fatal error: No arguments to build
    >

    > Typing /usr/sfw/bin/./gmake (as su) results in:
    >
    > gmake: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    >

    > I've compiled fftw on Linux and Free BSD with no problems. A number
    > of years ago, I compiled several programs on Solaris 8 without these
    > problems.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    >
    > Sorry for my ignorance.
    >
    > - John

    Hi
    if you echo your $PATH is /usr/sfw/bin there? Adding to .profile may
    not work. Either add to the PATH manually or for more permanent
    solution add to the PATH in /etc/default/login and/or /etc/default/su.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

  4. Re: Solaris compile problems

    On 2007-09-12 03:41:57 +0100, Malcolm said:

    > Hi
    > if you echo your $PATH is /usr/sfw/bin there? Adding to .profile may
    > not work.

    It *will* work if starts a new Bourne login shell (assuming no typos etc).

    > Either add to the PATH manually

    That's the easiest thing - see John's email. After all, configure/make
    don't care what's in .profile, they care about your actual environment.

    > or for more permanent
    > solution add to the PATH in /etc/default/login and/or /etc/default/su.

    Ew, that's a horrible thing to do. Apart from the quite unnecessary
    obnoxiousness of imposing some particular PATH on all users, there's
    also the risk that system scripts will accidentally call broken or
    subtly incompatible versions of tools instead of the ones in /usr/bin.
    Hopefully they all reset PATH at the start but maybe you find the one
    that doesn't :-(

    Cheers,

    Chris

  5. Re: Solaris compile problems

    On 12 Sep 2007 02:27:55 GMT, jjnunes@sonic.net wrote:
    > I'm attempting to compile fftw on Solaris 10. Upon typing <./configure> it
    > says that gcc and cc aren't found. Yet, they are in the path in <.profile>.

    Well, let's see

    [bog standard out of the box ksh]
    $ export PATH=/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:$PATH
    $ gzcat /home/paulf/Desktop/fftw-3.1.2.tar.gz | tar xf -
    $ cd fftw-3.1.2
    $ CC=cc CXX=CC ./configure
    [chug chug autoconf crap]
    $ dmake -j 4

    Seems to build OK (with -native -fast -xO5 -dalign as the cc options).
    This is Solaris 10 U4, Sun Studio 12 with latest patches on an Opteron
    system.

    A bientot
    Paul

  6. Re: Solaris compile problems

    Paul Floyd wrote:
    > On 12 Sep 2007 02:27:55 GMT, jjnunes@sonic.net wrote:
    > > I'm attempting to compile fftw on Solaris 10. Upon typing <./configure> it
    > > says that gcc and cc aren't found. Yet, they are in the path in <.profile>.

    > Well, let's see

    > [bog standard out of the box ksh]
    > $ export PATH=/usr/ccs/bin:/opt/SUNWspro/bin:$PATH
    > $ gzcat /home/paulf/Desktop/fftw-3.1.2.tar.gz | tar xf -
    > $ cd fftw-3.1.2
    > $ CC=cc CXX=CC ./configure
    > [chug chug autoconf crap]
    > $ dmake -j 4

    > Seems to build OK (with -native -fast -xO5 -dalign as the cc options).
    > This is Solaris 10 U4, Sun Studio 12 with latest patches on an Opteron
    > system.

    Thank you for the example. I learned a few things.

    - John

+ Reply to Thread