Dual boot - Solaris

This is a discussion on Dual boot - Solaris ; heya guys, Was wondering if anyone is dual booting solaris 10 with windows and if so how did it go, I currently have windows server 2003 on a hobby box and want to dual boot it with solaris. I have ...

  1. Dual boot

    heya guys,

    Was wondering if anyone is dual booting solaris 10 with windows and if so
    how did it go, I currently have windows server 2003 on a hobby box and want
    to dual boot it with solaris. I have dual booted windows server 2003 with
    Mandriva 2007 and had no probs. If I try and install solaris next to these
    2, will grub automatically detect windows and mandriva and set them up so i
    can boot into them or is there a little more involved ?

    Cheers

    Trev

  2. Re: Dual boot

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:52:34 +1000
    "Trevor Dunstan" wrote:

    > heya guys,
    >
    > Was wondering if anyone is dual booting solaris 10 with windows and
    > if so how did it go, I currently have windows server 2003 on a hobby
    > box and want to dual boot it with solaris. I have dual booted windows
    > server 2003 with Mandriva 2007 and had no probs. If I try and install
    > solaris next to these 2, will grub automatically detect windows and
    > mandriva and set them up so i can boot into them or is there a little
    > more involved ?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Trev

    Hi
    No it won't you need to manually enter the windows/linux grub
    information into the solaris bootloader, no biggy though.

    Have a look here,
    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...ot_laptop.html

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    up 1 day 23:24, 2 users, load average: 0.17, 0.06, 0.04

  3. Re: Dual boot

    "Trevor Dunstan" writes:

    > heya guys,
    >
    > Was wondering if anyone is dual booting solaris 10 with windows and
    > if so how did it go, I currently have windows server 2003 on a hobby
    > box and want to dual boot it with solaris. I have dual booted
    > windows server 2003 with Mandriva 2007 and had no probs. If I try
    > and install solaris next to these 2, will grub automatically detect
    > windows and mandriva and set them up so i can boot into them or is
    > there a little more involved ?

    I have a dual boot with windows XP. Solaris detected XP and made an
    entrance in grub. Solaris does not detect linux distros well. That
    involves some manual input into the solaris grub.

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 05/07 ++

  4. Re: Dual boot

    "Trevor Dunstan" wrote in message
    > heya guys,
    >
    > Was wondering if anyone is dual booting solaris 10 with windows and if so
    > how did it go, I currently have windows server 2003 on a hobby box and
    > want to dual boot it with solaris. I have dual booted windows server 2003
    > with Mandriva 2007 and had no probs. If I try and install solaris next to
    > these 2, will grub automatically detect windows and mandriva and set them
    > up so i can boot into them or is there a little more involved ?

    I use VMWare for this. I used to dual boot and had no issues. First
    install XP leaving enough space for Solaris to use. Then install Solaris.
    Works great.

    I went to VMWare because I can load them all at once, XP, Solaris, OpenBSD,
    FreeBSD, variety of Linux. Just get lots of RAM. With 3GB of RAM I can
    have 3-5 open at once. Snapshots are helpful expecially when you apply
    patches or something goes wrong with Windows for example.

+ Reply to Thread