skip s10U4 possible - Solaris

This is a discussion on skip s10U4 possible - Solaris ; I run s10u3 now and things are very stable. I just wondered, will it be possible to skip the U4 and wait for U5 if I want to or can't I update from U3 to U5 in the future? Related ...

  1. skip s10U4 possible

    I run s10u3 now and things are very stable. I just wondered, will it
    be possible to skip the U4 and wait for U5 if I want to or can't I
    update from U3 to U5 in the future?
    Related to this question is: will security updates for U3 be made
    available in the near future?
    Or should it be wisest to just update? Never change a winning horse,
    they say, and things _do_ run smoothly now, so..

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 05/07 ++

  2. Re: skip s10U4 possible

    Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
    > I run s10u3 now and things are very stable. I just wondered, will it
    > be possible to skip the U4 and wait for U5 if I want to or can't I
    > update from U3 to U5 in the future?

    Sure, you could even wait for 11 or 12 if you wish and the upgrade
    should be still fine. Solaris ain't linux

    > Related to this question is: will security updates for U3 be made
    > available in the near future?

    Sun will keep releasing security updates for every Solaris 10 release,
    for years to come, even years after Solaris 11 is out, whenever that is.

    > Or should it be wisest to just update? Never change a winning horse,
    > they say, and things _do_ run smoothly now, so..

    If you want any of the new features of U4, you would need to upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread