Installing 8/07: history repeating... - Solaris

This is a discussion on Installing 8/07: history repeating... - Solaris ; Hi, I had hoped that the installation of 8/07 would go smoothly. However, just like with 11/06 I get a blank screen at boot. After an apparent time-out the DVD-led starts blinking and then again nothing. The 11/06 situation eventually ...

  1. Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    Hi,

    I had hoped that the installation of 8/07 would go smoothly. However,
    just like with 11/06 I get a blank screen at boot. After an apparent
    time-out the DVD-led starts blinking and then again nothing.
    The 11/06 situation eventually got solved by changing some CMOS setting.
    Do I have to do something like that again?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had hoped that the installation of 8/07 would go smoothly. However,
    > just like with 11/06 I get a blank screen at boot. After an apparent
    > time-out the DVD-led starts blinking and then again nothing.
    > The 11/06 situation eventually got solved by changing some CMOS setting.
    > Do I have to do something like that again?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Yes, you need to change setting 17f and 03b to make solaris boot correctly
    on your type of computer.

  3. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    > Yes, you need to change setting 17f and 03b to make solaris boot correctly
    > on your type of computer.

    Could you please tell me how? I didn't keep the data because I thought
    it would be a one-time situation..

  4. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:

    >> Yes, you need to change setting 17f and 03b to make solaris boot correctly
    >> on your type of computer.
    >>

    > Could you please tell me how? I didn't keep the data because I thought
    > it would be a one-time situation..

    I was joking.

    I'd suggest that if you have a generic machine that you enter the BIOS and
    tell it to load defaults, or fail safe mode.

    this will dumb the settings down, and may let your machine boot normally.

    You can tinker with stuff later to see what you need or don't need to keep
    solaris happy.

  5. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    In article <46e3776e$0$27852$e4fe514c@dreader16.news.xs4all.nl>,
    Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >The 11/06 situation eventually got solved by changing some CMOS setting.

    Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

    What is the make and model motherboard?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  6. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    John Groenveld wrote:
    > In article <46e3776e$0$27852$e4fe514c@dreader16.news.xs4all.nl>,
    > Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >> The 11/06 situation eventually got solved by changing some CMOS setting.

    > Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

    Yes. Because of the 11/06 situation I thought it might be the BIOS and
    updated it to the latest. It turned out to be of no effect at all.
    Someone advised me to enter some instruction on the commandline, which
    eventually turned out to be the right move. But as said, I can't retrace
    it.

    > What is the make and model motherboard?

    ASUS A7V8X

  7. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    In article <46e6a8ef$0$15479$e4fe514c@dreader19.news.xs4all.nl>,
    Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    >Yes. Because of the 11/06 situation I thought it might be the BIOS and
    >updated it to the latest. It turned out to be of no effect at all.

    Did you try the beta BIOS?

    Did you try the latest Solaris Express?

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  8. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    On Sep 11, 11:40 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > John Groenveld wrote:
    > > In article <46e3776e$0$27852$e4fe5...@dreader16.news.xs4all.nl>,
    > > Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > >> The 11/06 situation eventually got solved by changing some CMOS setting.

    > > Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

    > Yes. Because of the 11/06 situation I thought it might be the BIOS and
    > updated it to the latest. It turned out to be of no effect at all.
    > Someone advised me to enter some instruction on the commandline, which
    > eventually turned out to be the right move. But as said, I can't retrace
    > it.
    >
    > > What is the make and model motherboard?

    > ASUS A7V8X

    something like acpi-user-options?

  9. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    > Did you try the beta BIOS?

    That's the currently installed version.

    > Did you try the latest Solaris Express?
    >

    > John

    No, I haven't tried yet. What is the advantage of it?

  10. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    > something like acpi-user-options?

    That rings a bell, but reading
    http://blogs.sun.com/danasblog/entry...s_acpi_at_boot
    I'm not sure which value to use. Any suggestions?

  11. Re: Installing 8/07: history repeating...

    On Sep 12, 11:51 am, Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> wrote:
    > > something like acpi-user-options?

    > That rings a bell, but readinghttp://blogs.sun.com/danasblog/entry/configuring_solaris_acpi_at_boot
    > I'm not sure which value to use. Any suggestions?

    as the blog says, first try:

    acpi-user-options=0x8 causes the new Solaris ACPI subsystem to leave
    the system in Legacy mode. This is the first option one should try if
    ACPI-related issues are suspected.

    and go down from there...

+ Reply to Thread