Hard Drive Swap Question - Solaris

This is a discussion on Hard Drive Swap Question - Solaris ; Is it possible to take out a Hard Drive in a Sun workstation running solaris (front end that runs a Xerox 6135 printer) and put it into a fast intel machine and have it work correctly. Was going to try ...

  1. Hard Drive Swap Question

    Is it possible to take out a Hard Drive in a Sun workstation running
    solaris (front end that runs a Xerox 6135 printer) and put it into a
    fast intel machine and have it work correctly.

    Was going to try it but didnt know if it would mess something up.

    Trying to get some speed without replacing the machine with a costly
    faster Sun Workstation.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Hard Drive Swap Question

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:20:26 -0500, test1@junkmail.com wrote:

    > Is it possible to take out a Hard Drive in a Sun workstation running
    > solaris (front end that runs a Xerox 6135 printer) and put it into a
    > fast intel machine and have it work correctly.

    No. UltraSPARC architecture is big-endian, Intel is little-endian; the
    bytes of data would be in the wrong order. Even if you could sort the
    byte orders, the instruction sets differ.

    > Trying to get some speed without replacing the machine with a costly
    > faster Sun Workstation.

    Check ebay.com "sun blade workstation".

  3. Re: Hard Drive Swap Question

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:13:20 -0000, Dave Uhring
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:20:26 -0500, test1@junkmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to take out a Hard Drive in a Sun workstation running
    >> solaris (front end that runs a Xerox 6135 printer) and put it into a
    >> fast intel machine and have it work correctly.

    >No. UltraSPARC architecture is big-endian, Intel is little-endian; the
    >bytes of data would be in the wrong order. Even if you could sort the
    >byte orders, the instruction sets differ.
    >
    >> Trying to get some speed without replacing the machine with a costly
    >> faster Sun Workstation.

    >Check ebay.com "sun blade workstation".

    Thanks for the reply. What I have is a Sun Ultra 2 (Dual 296mhz) 3d
    Creator box attached to a Xerox 6135.

    Would like to speed up file rip time for its pretty slow and files are
    getting larger not smaller.

    Basically a intel guy so these might be some stupid questions but...

    If I bought (thanks by the way for the ebay idea, decent prices)

    1) Sun Ultra 80
    2) Sun Blade 150
    3) Sun Blade 1000,1500, or 2000

    I should be able to swap hard drives and everything work.

    It seems like the 2000 is a 64bit machine, would that be a problem
    considering I would be putting in a drive with older software on it?

    Currently I have a dual, would I need to purchase another dual for the
    hard drive to work?

    Am I thinking correctly in your opinion, a switch to a faster machine
    should improve rip times?

    Any Gotcha's that you can think of that I should look out for?

    Lastly, which one of the options (1,2,3) would, in your opinion be my
    best choice.

    Thanks Dave!

    (or anyone else who would like to offer a opinion or suggestion)

  4. Re: Hard Drive Swap Question

    test1@junkmail.com wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:13:20 -0000, Dave Uhring
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:20:26 -0500, test1@junkmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to take out a Hard Drive in a Sun workstation running
    >>> solaris (front end that runs a Xerox 6135 printer) and put it into a
    >>> fast intel machine and have it work correctly.

    >> No. UltraSPARC architecture is big-endian, Intel is little-endian; the
    >> bytes of data would be in the wrong order. Even if you could sort the
    >> byte orders, the instruction sets differ.
    >>
    >>> Trying to get some speed without replacing the machine with a costly
    >>> faster Sun Workstation.

    >> Check ebay.com "sun blade workstation".

    > Thanks for the reply. What I have is a Sun Ultra 2 (Dual 296mhz) 3d
    > Creator box attached to a Xerox 6135.
    >
    > Would like to speed up file rip time for its pretty slow and files are
    > getting larger not smaller.
    >
    > Basically a intel guy so these might be some stupid questions but...

    You've asked in the wrong place, I'd try comp.sys.sun.hardware.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  5. Re: Hard Drive Swap Question

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:50:10 -0500, test1@junkmail.com wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply. What I have is a Sun Ultra 2 (Dual 296mhz) 3d
    > Creator box attached to a Xerox 6135.

    [snip]
    > If I bought (thanks by the way for the ebay idea, decent prices)
    >
    > 1) Sun Ultra 80
    > 2) Sun Blade 150
    > 3) Sun Blade 1000,1500, or 2000
    >
    > I should be able to swap hard drives and everything work.

    Not quite. The Sun Blade 150 and 1500 use IDE HDDs; the Sun Blade 1000
    and 2000 use FC-AL (fiber channel) HDDs.

    Only the Ultra 80 is configured to use SCSI HDDs and drives from Ultra 2
    can be used in the Ultra 80. The OS, however, will require substantial
    reconfiguration before it will boot.

    > It seems like the 2000 is a 64bit machine, would that be a problem
    > considering I would be putting in a drive with older software on it?

    All of the above machines are 64 bit.

    > Currently I have a dual, would I need to purchase another dual for the
    > hard drive to work?

    The number of processors has nothing to do with disk operation.

    > Am I thinking correctly in your opinion, a switch to a faster machine
    > should improve rip times?

    I have no idea what you mean by "rip". The Ultra 2 is capable of driving
    that printer and queueing its jobs. You could certainly install a second
    HDD in the Ultra 2 for greater storage capacity.

    > Lastly, which one of the options (1,2,3) would, in your opinion be my
    > best choice.

    You could perhaps upgrade the processors in the Ultra 2 with 400 MHz
    processors if your jobs are processor bound or install a large SCSI drive
    in slot 1 to increase your queue storage.

    If the price of the Blade 2000 is not excessive, that is what I would
    use. Be aware, however, that you would need to transfer your files from
    the U-2 to the SB-2000 either by tape or over the network.

    Some of your hardware questions can be answered here:

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub...ystemList.html

+ Reply to Thread