Solaris 10 (08/07) install - Solaris

This is a discussion on Solaris 10 (08/07) install - Solaris ; I plan to install Solaris 10 (08/07) x86 on one of my computers but have a question about the partitioning. The computer has a 120GB hard drive, and I want to dual-boot between Solaris 10 and Winxp pro. I would ...

  1. Solaris 10 (08/07) install

    I plan to install Solaris 10 (08/07) x86 on one of my computers but have a
    question about the partitioning.

    The computer has a 120GB hard drive, and I want to dual-boot between
    Solaris 10 and Winxp pro. I would install Winxp pro first, correct?

    What I was thinking is to use 80GB for Solaris and 40GB for Winxp, or
    would Solaris need more hard drive space? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks

    --
    William D. Katz "a good skier"

    Internet: wkatz@nyx.net

  2. Re: Solaris 10 (08/07) install

    Install win xp first. Partition the disk so that you leave the 80GB
    that solaris is destined for as "free space". When you do the solaris
    install, format 100% of the free space as a SOLARIS partition which
    you will then slice up further as part of the install.

    As for the solaris slice layout, it's up to you. I use something like:

    s0 10GB /
    s1 swap
    s3 10GB /var
    s4 free

    If you like (and this is just a test box) you could combine / & /var
    into a single 20GB s0.

  3. Re: Solaris 10 (08/07) install

    On 05 Sep 2007 01:38:07 GMT
    wkatz@nyx.net (William Katz) wrote:

    > I plan to install Solaris 10 (08/07) x86 on one of my computers but
    > have a question about the partitioning.
    >
    > The computer has a 120GB hard drive, and I want to dual-boot between
    > Solaris 10 and Winxp pro. I would install Winxp pro first, correct?
    >
    > What I was thinking is to use 80GB for Solaris and 40GB for Winxp, or
    > would Solaris need more hard drive space? Any thoughts are
    > appreciated. Thanks

    Hi
    Have a look here for some details, although is for a laptop would be
    just as applicable for a desktop.

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features...ot_laptop.html

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)

  4. Re: Solaris 10 (08/07) install

    Bit Bucket wrote:
    > Install win xp first. Partition the disk so that you leave the 80GB
    > that solaris is destined for as "free space". When you do the solaris
    > install, format 100% of the free space as a SOLARIS partition which
    > you will then slice up further as part of the install.
    >
    > As for the solaris slice layout, it's up to you. I use something like:
    >
    > s0 10GB /
    > s1 swap
    > s3 10GB /var
    > s4 free
    >
    > If you like (and this is just a test box) you could combine / & /var
    > into a single 20GB s0.

    Better to use s3 for Live Upgrade.

    The really isn't any reason to make swap the same size a physical memory.

    --
    Ian Collins.

+ Reply to Thread