Dual Boot and Backups - Solaris

This is a discussion on Dual Boot and Backups - Solaris ; Following a hard disk failure, I recently rebuilt a laptop with a dual boot (WinXP/Sol10) installation. The system works fine apart from playing CDs under Sol10 - there is no sound despite the CDs being readable and sox or web ...

  1. Dual Boot and Backups

    Following a hard disk failure, I recently rebuilt a laptop with a dual boot
    (WinXP/Sol10) installation. The system works fine apart from playing CDs
    under Sol10 - there is no sound despite the CDs being readable and sox or
    web based mp3 players working.

    However, for the first time I've mounted the Windows partition under Sol10
    and that works but now I'm wondering how I can include the WinXP partition
    in the backup configuration. I've tried ufsdump and it complains

    DUMP: /winxp' is not on a locally mounted filesystem

    but it is

    /winxp on /dev/dsk/c0d0p0:c
    read/write/setuid/devices/nohidden/nofoldcase/dev=1981010

    What do other people do to backup Windows partitions when they mostly work
    in Solaris?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Dual Boot and Backups

    Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Following a hard disk failure, I recently rebuilt a laptop with a dual boot
    > (WinXP/Sol10) installation. The system works fine apart from playing CDs
    > under Sol10 - there is no sound despite the CDs being readable and sox or
    > web based mp3 players working.
    >
    > However, for the first time I've mounted the Windows partition under Sol10
    > and that works but now I'm wondering how I can include the WinXP partition
    > in the backup configuration. I've tried ufsdump and it complains
    >
    > DUMP: /winxp' is not on a locally mounted filesystem

    It may be mounted, but it's not UFS.

    > but it is
    >
    > /winxp on /dev/dsk/c0d0p0:c
    > read/write/setuid/devices/nohidden/nofoldcase/dev=1981010
    >
    > What do other people do to backup Windows partitions when they mostly work
    > in Solaris?
    >
    > Thanks,

  3. Re: Dual Boot and Backups

    Geoff Lane wrote:
    > Following a hard disk failure, I recently rebuilt a laptop with a dual boot
    > (WinXP/Sol10) installation. The system works fine apart from playing CDs
    > under Sol10 - there is no sound despite the CDs being readable and sox or
    > web based mp3 players working.
    >
    > However, for the first time I've mounted the Windows partition under Sol10
    > and that works but now I'm wondering how I can include the WinXP partition
    > in the backup configuration. I've tried ufsdump and it complains
    >
    > DUMP: /winxp' is not on a locally mounted filesystem
    >
    > but it is
    >
    > /winxp on /dev/dsk/c0d0p0:c
    > read/write/setuid/devices/nohidden/nofoldcase/dev=1981010
    >
    > What do other people do to backup Windows partitions when they mostly work
    > in Solaris?
    >
    > Thanks,

    when i was running solaris/win95 dualboot i used tar.
    cd /winxp
    tar cf . /where/i/saved/the/tar/file/winxp.tar
    it worked well for win95. i did about 3 restores,
    using tar xf, hope it will work for you with xp ?

    if tar wont work you can use dd ( block copying )
    like: dd if=/dev/dsk/c0d0p0:c of=/myfile bs=1024

    /Jörgen

  4. Re: Dual Boot and Backups

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:56:03 +0200, Jorgen Moquist
    wrote:
    > Geoff Lane wrote:
    >> Following a hard disk failure, I recently rebuilt a laptop with a dual boot
    >> (WinXP/Sol10) installation. The system works fine apart from playing CDs
    >> under Sol10 - there is no sound despite the CDs being readable and sox or
    >> web based mp3 players working.
    >>
    >> However, for the first time I've mounted the Windows partition under Sol10
    >> and that works but now I'm wondering how I can include the WinXP partition
    >> in the backup configuration. I've tried ufsdump and it complains
    >>
    >> DUMP: /winxp' is not on a locally mounted filesystem
    >>
    >> but it is
    >>
    >> /winxp on /dev/dsk/c0d0p0:c
    >> read/write/setuid/devices/nohidden/nofoldcase/dev=1981010
    >>
    >> What do other people do to backup Windows partitions when they mostly work
    >> in Solaris?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > when i was running solaris/win95 dualboot i used tar.
    > cd /winxp
    > tar cf . /where/i/saved/the/tar/file/winxp.tar
    > it worked well for win95. i did about 3 restores,
    > using tar xf, hope it will work for you with xp ?
    >
    > if tar wont work you can use dd ( block copying )
    > like: dd if=/dev/dsk/c0d0p0:c of=/myfile bs=1024

    If the winxp partition is FAT (32 only?) then Solaris should be able to
    mount and read/write it. If it is NTFS, then you will need to use dd or
    some other sector-wise copy.

    A bientot
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread