[CSSA][CUS][ASX] Solaris Networking Administrative Interface? - Solaris

This is a discussion on [CSSA][CUS][ASX] Solaris Networking Administrative Interface? - Solaris ; Hello Solaris People, I have a copy of Solaris running on an x86 box. Here is what I see: bash sol oracle ~ 3 $ bash sol oracle ~ 3 $ bash sol oracle ~ 3 $ bash sol oracle ...

  1. [CSSA][CUS][ASX] Solaris Networking Administrative Interface?

    Hello Solaris People,

    I have a copy of Solaris running on an x86 box.

    Here is what I see:

    bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    bash sol oracle ~ 3 $ uname -a
    SunOS sol 5.10 Generic_118855-14 i86pc i386 i86pc
    bash sol oracle ~ 4 $
    bash sol oracle ~ 4 $
    bash sol oracle ~ 4 $

    Currently the solaris-box is connected to a router which is connected
    to a DSL modem which is connected to SBC-ATT.

    I can ssh into the solaris-box from my Mac which is also connected to
    the router.

    I can ping www.google.com from my Mac.

    But,
    I cannot ping www.google.com from the solaris-box.

    I suspect that it is either a routing or DNS issue.

    Does solaris 10 have an administrative utility (aside from vi) I can
    use to interact
    with the network configuration?

    -b

  2. Re: [CSSA][CUS][ASX] Solaris Networking Administrative Interface?

    Bjorn Boulder wrote:
    > Hello Solaris People,
    >
    > I have a copy of Solaris running on an x86 box.
    >
    > Here is what I see:
    >
    > bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 3 $ uname -a
    > SunOS sol 5.10 Generic_118855-14 i86pc i386 i86pc
    > bash sol oracle ~ 4 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 4 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 4 $
    >

    > Currently the solaris-box is connected to a router which is connected
    > to a DSL modem which is connected to SBC-ATT.
    >
    > I can ssh into the solaris-box from my Mac which is also connected to
    > the router.
    >
    > I can ping www.google.com from my Mac.
    >
    > But,
    > I cannot ping www.google.com from the solaris-box.
    >
    > I suspect that it is either a routing or DNS issue.
    >
    > Does solaris 10 have an administrative utility (aside from vi) I can
    > use to interact
    > with the network configuration?
    >
    > -b

    Can you ping your router from your Solaris box? If not, you have a
    serious network configuration problem on your Solaris box. Can you ping
    your ISP's gateway from your Solaris box? How about your ISP's DNS
    servers? Is /etc/nsswitch.conf set up to use DNS for name resolution?

    See man sys-unconfig for a list of configuration files to check. As a
    last resort, you can execute sys-unconfig and configure your Solaris
    system from scratch.

  3. Re: [CUS][ASX] Solaris Networking Administrative Interface?

    Hi,

    Check that /etc/nsswitch.conf has "files dns" for the "hosts:" line.
    If not then your Solaris box won't try to query the DNS server for
    www.google.com's ip address.

    Check that /etc/resolv.conf has "nameserver a.b.c.d", where a.b.c.d is
    the ip address of your dns server (same one the mac uses). If there is
    no nameserver line then the solaris box does not know where to send
    dns queries.

    Check that you have a valid default gateway (again, same one as the
    mac uses) but running "netstat -rn". If there is no line with
    "default ...." add one with "route add default . Make it
    permanent by adding same ip to /etc/defaultrouter. Without a default
    router you will be confined to your local network.

    Hope that helps.

    On Sep 1, 6:26 pm, Bjorn Boulder wrote:
    > Hello Solaris People,
    >
    > I have a copy of Solaris running on an x86 box.
    >
    > Here is what I see:
    >
    > bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 3 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 3 $ uname -a
    > SunOS sol 5.10 Generic_118855-14 i86pc i386 i86pc
    > bash sol oracle ~ 4 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 4 $
    > bash sol oracle ~ 4 $
    >
    > Currently the solaris-box is connected to a router which is connected
    > to a DSL modem which is connected to SBC-ATT.
    >
    > I can ssh into the solaris-box from my Mac which is also connected to
    > the router.
    >
    > I can pingwww.google.comfrom my Mac.
    >
    > But,
    > I cannot pingwww.google.comfrom the solaris-box.
    >
    > I suspect that it is either a routing or DNS issue.
    >
    > Does solaris 10 have an administrative utility (aside from vi) I can
    > use to interact
    > with the network configuration?
    >
    > -b

+ Reply to Thread