Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU? - Solaris

This is a discussion on Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU? - Solaris ; Plea: any advice? This is my first time using Solaris (I was attracted by the promise of ZFS and RAID-Z) and so I'm unfamiliar with the error reporting I'm seeing, and the situation of hardware support for my chipsets and ...

  1. Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU?

    Plea: any advice? This is my first time using Solaris (I was attracted
    by the promise of ZFS and RAID-Z) and so I'm unfamiliar with the error
    reporting I'm seeing, and the situation of hardware support for my
    chipsets and cpu. The relevant Sun HCL claims the ICH-7 is supported
    as of sxde 5/07 so i am really only suspecting the CPU may be
    unsupported somehow? It does seem to me that it's trying to load an
    AMD64
    kernel, not good right?

    KMDB output when booting normal parameters plus a "-k":
    panic[cpu0]/thread=fffffffffbc28ba0: boot_mapin(): No pp for pfnum =
    ffffffffffffffff
    fffffffffbc49b60 unix:boot_mapin+11e ()
    fffffffffbc49bd0 unix:startup_memlist+6a0 ()
    fffffffffbc49be0 unix:startup+27 ()
    fffffffffbc49c10 genunix:main+27 ()
    fffffffffbc49c20 unix:locore_start+92 ()
    panic: entering debugger (no dump device, continue to reboot_
    Welcome to kmdb
    Loaded modules: [ unix krtld genunix ]
    [0]> kmem_flags/W 0xf
    [0]> :c
    <-[mtrap: Unknown trap type 8 in user mode
    panic[cpu0]/thread=fffffffbc28ba0: BAD TRAP: type=d (#gp General
    protection) rp=fffffffffbc4e3a0 addr=f000eef3f000eeef3
    panic: entering debugger (continue to reboot)
    kmdb: target stopped at:
    kmdb_enter+0xb: movq %rax,%rdi

    when i boot with '-kdvs' as the parameters, i get...
    module /platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix text at [0x...... etc..
    module /kernel/amd64/genunix: text at...... etc...
    module /kernel/misc/amd64/kmdbmod:.....
    module /kernel/misc/amd64/ctf.....
    Welcome to kmdb, loaded modules: unix krtld genunix
    [0]> kmem_flags/W 0xf
    [0]> :c
    <-[m
    panic[cpu0]/thread=fffffffbc28ba0: boot_mapin(): No pp for pfnum =
    ffffffffffffffff
    and then the same five "fffff...." lines as before. and the same
    "panic: entering debugger (no dump device...." messages.

    Situation:
    every time i ':c' it spits out another very similar message, for about
    5 or 6 further notifications, then gives me 4 more at once after
    saying <-mrebooting... and then it's dead, no more keyboard
    interaction. This is the same as what happens when i boot normally.

    Stuff that does work:
    Booting in the safe mode works loads up fine, as does the solaris dvd
    installer. I've also installed the latest Ubuntu to disk and it works
    fine, i've run Memtest86 for more than 6 hours, for at least 17 passes
    and no errors, and various CPU burn-in things work fine.

    Speculation:
    I had read that some of the newer intel cpu's speed stepping wasn't
    supported until recently (july), could this be a potential cause of my
    woes, and should I expect a SXDE 8/07 any time soon?
    There is also a much more sinister issue with this machine: when
    fitting the CPU i found some of the LGA775 socket's pins were slightly
    bent. It would not boot at all, and rather than ship it back to the
    manufacturer after the hours i had spent fitting it into the case with
    all the silent cooling gear I'd arranged, i took to it with a
    magnifying glass and a needle and actually managed to realign the pins
    and it boots just fine. All the previously mentioned tests and OS's
    ran/installed without a hitch, it's only this problem i'm having with
    Solaris, so I have been assuming so far that this incident has nothing
    to do with my kernel panic woes.

    Specs:
    OS: Solaris Express Developer Edition 5/07
    CPU: Celeron D 420 (1.6ghz 800mhz fsb LGA775)
    Motherboard: Asus P5GZ-MX, 945GZ chipset
    Storage: ICH7 chipset, system disk is a regular IDE/PATA 120gb disk in
    primary master, there's nothing else on that channel. There are 3
    500Gb SATA II drives but i left them untouched by the installer so i
    could set them up for a zfs raid array later.

    Much appreciated if you have some advice to offer.

  2. Re: Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU?

    Pete Savvides wrote:
    > It does seem to me that it's trying to load an AMD64
    > kernel, not good right?

    To tell the system boot 32bit kernel you can
    1)
    In the GRUB menu you can modify kernel command from:
    kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    to:
    kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot kernel/unix
    2)
    In the safe mode use eeprom command (which change the file
    /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc).
    # eeprom boot-file="kernel/unix"

    Argo

  3. Re: Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU?

    On Aug 17, 3:06 pm, Argo Sõõru wrote:
    > Pete Savvides wrote:
    > > It does seem to me that it's trying to load an AMD64
    > > kernel, not good right?

    > To tell the system boot 32bit kernel you can
    > 1)
    > In the GRUB menu you can modify kernel command from:
    > kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    > to:
    > kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot kernel/unix
    > 2)
    > In the safe mode use eeprom command (which change the file
    > /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc).
    > # eeprom boot-file="kernel/unix"
    >
    > Argo

    Thanks a lot! However when i try method (1) I change the line
    kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix
    to:
    kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix kernel/unix
    and I get the same errors.

    and when i try method (2)
    # eeprom boot-file="kernel/unix"
    eeprom: error returned from bootadm: Cannot update menu. Cannot reboot
    with requested arguments

    any other ideas I could try to learn from?

  4. Re: Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU?

    Pete Savvides wrote:

    > any other ideas I could try to learn from?

    Hmm! It's work for me, but I don't use SXDE. I have S10 11/06. Why you
    use SXDE and not Solaris 10? ZFS and friends are included in the latest
    release.
    I'm not familiar SXDE (I ordered starter KIT), but I think mybe you use
    image which was bulid for AMD64.

    Argo

  5. Re: Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU?

    On Aug 17, 5:36 pm, Argo Sõõru wrote:
    > Pete Savvides wrote:
    > > any other ideas I could try to learn from?

    > Hmm! It's work for me, but I don't use SXDE. I have S10 11/06. Why you
    > use SXDE and not Solaris 10? ZFS and friends are included in the latest
    > release.
    > I'm not familiar SXDE (I ordered starter KIT), but I think mybe you use
    > image which was bulid for AMD64.
    >
    > Argo

    I used it because it appeared to have better support for my hardware
    like the ICH7 chipset. Thanks for your advice anyway!

  6. Re: Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU?

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:13:00 -0000, Pete Savvides
    wrote:

    >On Aug 17, 3:06 pm, Argo Sõõru wrote:
    >> Pete Savvides wrote:
    >> > It does seem to me that it's trying to load an AMD64
    >> > kernel, not good right?

    >> To tell the system boot 32bit kernel you can
    >> 1)
    >> In the GRUB menu you can modify kernel command from:
    >> kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    >> to:
    >> kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot kernel/unix
    >> 2)
    >> In the safe mode use eeprom command (which change the file
    >> /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc).
    >> # eeprom boot-file="kernel/unix"
    >>
    >> Argo

    >Thanks a lot! However when i try method (1) I change the line
    >kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix
    >to:
    >kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix kernel/unix
    >and I get the same errors.

    If you are just trying to force a 32-bit boot, try:

    /platform/i86pc/kernel/unix

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  7. Re: Kernel panics on a Celeron D 420, does SXDE support this CPU?

    On Aug 17, 11:32 pm, Bill Waddington
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 06:13:00 -0000, Pete Savvides
    > wrote:

    > >> To tell the system boot 32bit kernel you can
    > >> 1)
    > >> In the GRUB menu you can modify kernel command from:
    > >> kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot
    > >> to:
    > >> kernel /platform/i86pc/multiboot kernel/unix
    > >> 2)
    > >> In the safe mode use eeprom command (which change the file
    > >> /boot/solaris/bootenv.rc).
    > >> # eeprom boot-file="kernel/unix"

    > >> Argo

    > >Thanks a lot! However when i try method (1) I change the line
    > >kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix
    > >to:
    > >kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix kernel/unix
    > >and I get the same errors.

    > If you are just trying to force a 32-bit boot, try:
    >
    > /platform/i86pc/kernel/unix
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > William D Waddington
    > william.wadding...@beezmo.com
    > "Even bugs...are unexpected signposts on
    > the long road of creativity..." - Ken Burtch

    Bill Waddington is the coolest guy on usenet!
    Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread