Problem with gpdf - Solaris

This is a discussion on Problem with gpdf - Solaris ; Hi, I've just installed Solaris 10 x86 U3 (11/06) and the patches provided with the latest EIS-DVD. Gpdf has serious problems when I try to open some documents; in particular, the font rendering is terrible! I read that the problem ...

  1. Problem with gpdf

    Hi,

    I've just installed Solaris 10 x86 U3 (11/06) and the patches provided
    with the latest EIS-DVD.

    Gpdf has serious problems when I try to open some documents; in
    particular, the font rendering is terrible!

    I read that the problem came from the freetype2 library.
    How can I solve this problem?

    Thank you so much an sorry for my terrible english.

    Alberto

  2. Re: Problem with gpdf

    In article <46af875a$0$4790$4fafbaef@reader4.news.tin.it>,
    AlbertoEMME wrote:
    >Gpdf has serious problems when I try to open some documents; in
    >particular, the font rendering is terrible!

    Unfortunately Sun does a poor job of supporting PDF viewing in
    Solaris 10.

    You might try using Blastwave's CSWevince.

    BTW the S10 release notes list the current GNOME pdf viewer
    as EOL:

    John
    groenveld@acm.org

  3. Re: Problem with gpdf

    On 2007-08-01 15:38:50 +0100, groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) said:

    > In article <46af875a$0$4790$4fafbaef@reader4.news.tin.it>,
    > AlbertoEMME wrote:
    >> Gpdf has serious problems when I try to open some documents; in
    >> particular, the font rendering is terrible!

    > Unfortunately Sun does a poor job of supporting PDF viewing in
    > Solaris 10.

    You might find that xpdf does a better job than gpdf. The UI's worse,
    but the display's much less broken.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  4. Re: Problem with gpdf

    groenvel@cse.psu.edu (John D Groenveld) writes:

    > In article <46af875a$0$4790$4fafbaef@reader4.news.tin.it>,
    > AlbertoEMME wrote:
    >>Gpdf has serious problems when I try to open some documents; in
    >>particular, the font rendering is terrible!

    > Unfortunately Sun does a poor job of supporting PDF viewing in
    > Solaris 10.
    >
    > You might try using Blastwave's CSWevince.

    I wouldn't do that without realizing you'll get lots and lots of
    dependancies for gnome. Maybe the upcoming release (8/07)will have a
    better pdf support. If not I'd go for xpdf (ugly but works great).

    --
    Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
    ++ http://nagual.nl/ + Solaris 11 05/07 ++

  5. Re: Problem with gpdf

    AlbertoEMME writes in alt.solaris.x86:
    |I've just installed Solaris 10 x86 U3 (11/06) and the patches provided
    |with the latest EIS-DVD.
    |
    |Gpdf has serious problems when I try to open some documents; in
    |particular, the font rendering is terrible!
    |
    |I read that the problem came from the freetype2 library.
    |How can I solve this problem?

    A patch for freetype2 for Solaris 10 is being built to fix this - until
    it's ready, you can remove the current freetype patch from the system.

    --
    Alan Coopersmith * alanc@alum.calberkeley.org * Alan.Coopersmith@Sun.COM
    http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/ * http://people.freedesktop.org/~alanc/