yikes: OS 10 install - Solaris

This is a discussion on yikes: OS 10 install - Solaris ; I figured I'd start a new thread. The decompression of the OS download took the better part of 3 hours to do. I switched identities and got a lot of work done. So now I've got sol-10-u3-ga-x86-dvd.iso sitting on my ...

  1. yikes: OS 10 install

    I figured I'd start a new thread.

    The decompression of the OS download took the better part of 3 hours to do.
    I switched identities and got a lot of work done. So now I've got
    sol-10-u3-ga-x86-dvd.iso sitting on my desktop for tomorrow. I'm glad I
    didn't know it was going to take so long: yikes.
    --
    Wade Ward

  2. Re: yikes: OS 10 install

    "Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
    > In article <1PqdnYpkI9MYHzzbnZ2dnUVZ_qGknZ2d@comcast.com>,
    > "Wade Ward" writes:
    >> I figured I'd start a new thread.
    >>
    >> The decompression of the OS download took the better part of 3 hours to
    >> do.
    >> I switched identities and got a lot of work done. So now I've got
    >> sol-10-u3-ga-x86-dvd.iso sitting on my desktop for tomorrow. I'm glad I
    >> didn't know it was going to take so long: yikes.

    > What were you doing it on? It takes a long time, but not normally
    > anything like that long. The sad thing is it was not really worth
    > compressing in the first place -- it bearly shrinks at all as
    > most of it is already compressed.

    I've got a 2 gig processor. It says that it takes 90 minutes on a 3 gig
    chip. I added to that time because I did so much other stuff. Time to burn
    the image to disc....
    --
    Wade Ward

  3. Re: yikes: OS 10 install

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Wade Ward" writes:
    >> "Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

    >>> What were you doing it on? It takes a long time, but not normally
    >>> anything like that long. The sad thing is it was not really worth
    >>> compressing in the first place -- it bearly shrinks at all as
    >>> most of it is already compressed.

    >> I've got a 2 gig processor. It says that it takes 90 minutes on a 3 gig
    >> chip. I added to that time because I did so much other stuff. Time to burn
    >> the image to disc....

    > I can't work out what you're talking about.
    > I just timed decompressing the 3 parts of sol-nv-b68-x86-dvd-iso-?.zip
    > and it took less than 2 minutes on a 2.4Ghz Athlon64 (on a ZFS filesystem).

    He probably used that ridiculous windoze compression version which takes
    longer to decompress than download.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  4. Re: yikes: OS 10 install

    "Ian Collins" wrote in message
    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> "Wade Ward" writes:
    >>> "Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

    >>> I've got a 2 gig processor. It says that it takes 90 minutes on a 3 gig
    >>> chip. I added to that time because I did so much other stuff. Time to
    >>> burn
    >>> the image to disc....

    >> I can't work out what you're talking about.
    >> I just timed decompressing the 3 parts of sol-nv-b68-x86-dvd-iso-?.zip
    >> and it took less than 2 minutes on a 2.4Ghz Athlon64 (on a ZFS
    >> filesystem).
    >>

    > He probably used that ridiculous windoze compression version which takes
    > longer to decompress than download.

    You're exactly right. It's always very important to me that installs happen
    from _one_ executable. If it doesn't go down with one chop, then I'm
    guaranteed to get it wrong.

    This could all change with Solaris. I got the image burned and ran the
    install. I got the feeling that I had made it far enough to where I was
    hoping that it was going to ask me about my partitions, namely "shall I
    create a partition for this solaris OS 10," but it looked like that had to
    already be done, so I aborted. But I have seen the promised land: I saw the
    GUI, and used it to abort. It doesn't sound good when you report that the
    only thing you got done was fail to abort and have to hit the rest button,
    but, like I say, I had at least a mouse and left click.

    IE7 has been insulting me all day. How many times will ms run once, at the
    expense of me having to redirect, and reset home? I don't know the answer.
    --
    WW

  5. Re: yikes: OS 10 install

    > In article ,
    > "Wade Ward" writes:

    >> I've got a 2 gig processor. It says that it takes 90 minutes on a 3 gig
    >> chip. I added to that time because I did so much other stuff. Time to
    >> burn
    >> the image to disc....

    > I can't work out what you're talking about.
    > I just timed decompressing the 3 parts of sol-nv-b68-x86-dvd-iso-?.zip
    > and it took less than 2 minutes on a 2.4Ghz Athlon64 (on a ZFS
    > filesystem).

    It says something about the processes involved. The download took five
    minutes. Burning it to disc: five minutes. Decompressing: at least 2 hrs.
    I did not switch out hardware. Go figure.
    --
    WW

  6. Re: yikes: OS 10 install

    "Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "Wade Ward" writes:
    >>
    >> "Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

    >>> What were you doing it on? It takes a long time, but not normally
    >>> anything like that long. The sad thing is it was not really worth
    >>> compressing in the first place -- it bearly shrinks at all as
    >>> most of it is already compressed.

    >> I've got a 2 gig processor. It says that it takes 90 minutes on a 3 gig
    >> chip. I added to that time because I did so much other stuff. Time to
    >> burn
    >> the image to disc....

    > I can't work out what you're talking about.
    > I just timed decompressing the 3 parts of sol-nv-b68-x86-dvd-iso-?.zip
    > and it took less than 2 minutes on a 2.4Ghz Athlon64 (on a ZFS
    > filesystem).

    Well, now I get farther into the install, and the install tells me that I
    have the wrong disc. My immediate suspicion is that the image got the bends
    during decompression. I'm sure it didn't help to have me popping in and out
    of identities while it was running. I'm gonna try to find that zip file.
    Any other theories why solaris tells me that the only disc in question is
    the wrong one?
    --
    WW

  7. Re: yikes: OS 10 install

    "Ian Collins" wrote in message

    > He probably used that ridiculous windoze compression version which takes
    > longer to decompress than download.

    I gotta bug out for the time being. My computer clock is 3 hrs different
    than the one on my wall and the one in my head. I guess you were right.
    --
    WW

+ Reply to Thread