expire field in /etc/shadow file - Solaris

This is a discussion on expire field in /etc/shadow file - Solaris ; Hi everybody, I couldnt find how to set a solaris 10 user account expires automatically at the date I set. I tried to change /etc/shadow file like test01:s9ufosufosf:13715:::::1184716800: last field is the epoch conversion of today. But it's not working. ...

  1. expire field in /etc/shadow file

    Hi everybody,

    I couldnt find how to set a solaris 10 user account expires
    automatically at the date I set.

    I tried to change /etc/shadow file like

    test01:s9ufosufosf:13715:::::1184716800:

    last field is the epoch conversion of today.

    But it's not working. I tried a lot of thing and discovered at finally
    that. The expire value must be small than lastchg. If it's small, then
    the system doesnt allow the user to logon.

    I discovered but I couldnt understood why.

    I will be very happy if someone explains me what is the corelation
    between those fields in /etc/shadow file.

    And what should I do to lock an user account at the date I defined ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Mehmet.

  2. Re: expire field in /etc/shadow file

    shadowfaxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
    > I couldnt find how to set a solaris 10 user account expires
    > automatically at the date I set.

    You want usermod -e.

    More generally, you want to read the man pages for usermod, passwd, and
    shadow.

    --
    Brandon Hume - hume -> BOFH.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Ca/

+ Reply to Thread