tja - Solaris

This is a discussion on tja - Solaris ; OP is considering installing Solaris. I don't know a thing about it, but I know that I always want a bona fide company from whom to get an OS. There was a day when the only such companies were Apple ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. tja

    OP is considering installing Solaris. I don't know a thing about it, but I
    know that I always want a bona fide company from whom to get an OS.

    There was a day when the only such companies were Apple and MS. Now,
    there's Sun. How is solaris going to be able to provide drivers for my
    system?
    --
    Wade Ward

  2. Re: tja

    Wade Ward wrote:
    > OP is considering installing Solaris. I don't know a thing about it, but I
    > know that I always want a bona fide company from whom to get an OS.
    >
    > There was a day when the only such companies were Apple and MS. Now,
    > there's Sun. How is solaris going to be able to provide drivers for my
    > system?

    What is your system?

    --
    Ian Collins.

  3. Re: tja

    Wade Ward coughed up some electrons that declared:

    > OP is considering installing Solaris. I don't know a thing about it, but

    ^^^^
    What's OP?

    > I know that I always want a bona fide company from whom to get an OS.
    >
    > There was a day when the only such companies were Apple and MS. Now,
    > there's Sun. How is solaris going to be able to provide drivers for my
    > system?
    > --
    > Wade Ward

    Have a look here:

    http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/search.jsp

    It is NOT exhaustive - in fact quite the reverse, but if you see your system
    metioned then that's a good thing.

    Cheers

    Tim

  4. Re: tja

    "Ian Collins" wrote in message
    > Wade Ward wrote:
    >> OP is considering installing Solaris. I don't know a thing about it, but
    >> know that I always want a bona fide company from whom to get an OS.
    >>
    >> There was a day when the only such companies were Apple and MS. Now,
    >> there's Sun. How is solaris going to be able to provide drivers for my
    >> system?

    > What is your system?

    I was chasing down details of my mother board today. I have XP on a 64-bit
    chip. Are you the same Ian Collins I remember from c.l.c/clc++?
    --
    Wade Ward

  5. Re: tja

    On 2007-07-18 11:03:46 +0100, "Wade Ward" said:

    > "Ian Collins" wrote in message
    >> Wade Ward wrote:
    >>> OP is considering installing Solaris. I don't know a thing about it, but
    >>> know that I always want a bona fide company from whom to get an OS.
    >>>
    >>> There was a day when the only such companies were Apple and MS. Now,
    >>> there's Sun. How is solaris going to be able to provide drivers for my
    >>> system?

    >> What is your system?

    > I was chasing down details of my mother board today. I have XP on a 64-bit
    > chip. Are you the same Ian Collins I remember from c.l.c/clc++?

    If you've got Java on the machine, you can run Sun's hardware checker
    tool to tell you all sorts about your machine, and in particular if
    Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris will work on it.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  6. Re: tja

    Wade Ward wrote:
    > "Ian Collins" wrote in message
    >> Wade Ward wrote:
    >>> OP is considering installing Solaris. I don't know a thing about it, but
    >>> know that I always want a bona fide company from whom to get an OS.
    >>>
    >>> There was a day when the only such companies were Apple and MS. Now,
    >>> there's Sun. How is solaris going to be able to provide drivers for my
    >>> system?

    >> What is your system?

    > I was chasing down details of my mother board today. I have XP on a 64-bit
    > chip. Are you the same Ian Collins I remember from c.l.c/clc++?

    Probably

    Try the checker Chris suggested, note thee are different versions for
    Solaris 10 and Express.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  7. Re: tja

    "Chris Ridd" wrote in message
    > On 2007-07-18 11:03:46 +0100, "Wade Ward" said:
    >

    >> "Ian Collins" wrote in message

    >>> What is your system?

    >> I was chasing down details of my mother board today. I have XP on a
    >> 64-bit
    >> chip. Are you the same Ian Collins I remember from c.l.c/clc++?

    > If you've got Java on the machine, you can run Sun's hardware checker tool
    > to tell you all sorts about your machine, and in particular if Solaris 10
    > and OpenSolaris will work on it.

    Thanks Chris. This is all a bit of a process if only because I've got a
    brand new install after a clean sweep. I did have to download Java virtual
    machine. I now have an identity with Sun.

    I think I better get software loaded for my cd/dvd so that I can burn these
    things onto something. Here in a few days, when I'm able to answer subtle
    questions, I'll be able to tell you more. I have an AMD Athlon 64
    Processor, socket 754 on an MSI motherboard, K8N v2.0 . A lot of whether I
    can get solaris to work is giving it the right information.

    , and what's the difference between solaris 10 and opensolaris? Wouldn't an
    open source OS be a bunch of assembly that ordinary humans can't penetrate?

    Thanks for your help,
    Wade Ward

  8. Re: tja

    > Wade Ward wrote:
    >> "Ian Collins" wrote in message

    OP is the original poster. Without snipping you can see that OP's net
    pseudonym is 'Wade Ward'.

    >> I was chasing down details of my mother board today. I have XP on a
    >> 64-bit
    >> chip. Are you the same Ian Collins I remember from c.l.c/clc++?

    > Probably

    What's it going to be like to talk without the threat of all the jerks at
    c.l.c. sure to follow. I looked at fifteen random mesages from c.l.c. a
    couple weeks back and it was troll this plonk that off topic, nothing about
    c that I enjoyed reading. You can actually talk about c in
    comp.lang.fortran . Fortran has C bindings, meaning fortran binds c, so
    it's not far from The Topic. Forthermore, the forum isn't filled with
    flaming assholes.

    > Try the checker Chris suggested, note thee are different versions for
    > Solaris 10 and Express.

    I'm on it.
    --
    Greetings, Wade

  9. Re: tja

    "Tim Southerwood" wrote in message
    > Wade Ward coughed up some electrons that declared:

    > Have a look here:
    >
    > http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/search.jsp

    This link doesn't fire for me.
    --
    WW

  10. Re: tja

    Wade Ward wrote:

    > I think I better get software loaded for my cd/dvd so that I can burn these
    > things onto something. Here in a few days, when I'm able to answer subtle
    > questions, I'll be able to tell you more. I have an AMD Athlon 64
    > Processor, socket 754 on an MSI motherboard, K8N v2.0 . A lot of whether I
    > can get solaris to work is giving it the right information.

    If this is an nForce 3 or 4 board, most things will work.

    > , and what's the difference between solaris 10 and opensolaris? Wouldn't an
    > open source OS be a bunch of assembly that ordinary humans can't penetrate?

    OpenSolaris is where Solaris is going. There is very little assembly in
    any modern OS and Solaris is no exception.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  11. Re: tja

    Wade Ward wrote:
    > "Ian Collins" wrote:
    >
    >> Try the checker Chris suggested, note thee are different versions for
    >> Solaris 10 and Express.

    > I'm on it.

    While you are at it, reset your clock, it's 3 hours fast!

    --
    Ian Collins.

  12. Re: tja

    > Wade Ward wrote:
    >> "Ian Collins" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try the checker Chris suggested, note thee are different versions for
    >>> Solaris 10 and Express.

    >> I'm on it.

    > While you are at it, reset your clock, it's 3 hours fast!

    You made me look. But my computer, wallclock and the guy who slpis in
    before 2 a.m., for a cold one and a hot one, dispute you.
    --
    WW

  13. Re: tja

    Wade Ward wrote:
    > "Ian Collins" wrote in message
    >> Wade Ward wrote:

    >>> I'm on it.

    >> While you are at it, reset your clock, it's 3 hours fast!

    > You made me look. But my computer, wallclock and the guy who slpis in
    > before 2 a.m., for a cold one and a hot one, dispute you.

    Your headers agree with me!

    Subject: Re: tja
    Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 01:27:39 -0700

    --
    Ian Collins.

  14. Re: tja

    > Wade Ward wrote:
    >> "Ian Collins" wrote in message

    >>> While you are at it, reset your clock, it's 3 hours fast!

    >> You made me look. But my computer, wallclock and the guy who slpis in
    >> before 2 a.m., for a cold one and a hot one, dispute you.

    > Your headers agree with me!

    > Subject: Re: tja
    > Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 01:27:39 -0700

    As do, unfortunately, the local hotties. Do you know a perl script that can
    show me what you see?

    I always had the impression that you were in the U.K. Do you have a new
    P.M.?
    --
    WW

  15. Re: tja

    On 2007-07-19 06:35:19 +0100, Ian Collins said:

    > Wade Ward wrote:
    >> "Ian Collins" wrote in message

    >>> While you are at it, reset your clock, it's 3 hours fast!

    >> You made me look. But my computer, wallclock and the guy who slpis in
    >> before 2 a.m., for a cold one and a hot one, dispute you.

    > Your headers agree with me!

    > Subject: Re: tja
    > Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 01:27:39 -0700

    Maybe his news server's in another timezone?

    Cheers,

    Chris

  16. Re: tja

    "Chris Ridd" wrote in message
    > On 2007-07-19 06:35:19 +0100, Ian Collins said:

    >> Subject: Re: tja
    >> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 01:27:39 -0700

    > Maybe his news server's in another timezone?

    3 hours difference is either Pacific time or the middle of the Atlantic.

    I finally got that sun download manager running. The checker is large: 60
    megs. I suppose I have to burn it onto a cd and make the cd bootable.
    --
    WW

  17. Re: tja

    On 2007-07-20 02:27:06 +0100, "Wade Ward" said:

    > "Chris Ridd" wrote in message
    >> On 2007-07-19 06:35:19 +0100, Ian Collins said:

    >>> Subject: Re: tja
    >>> Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 01:27:39 -0700

    >> Maybe his news server's in another timezone?

    > 3 hours difference is either Pacific time or the middle of the Atlantic.
    >
    > I finally got that sun download manager running. The checker is large: 60
    > megs. I suppose I have to burn it onto a cd and make the cd bootable.

    That's small beer if you're about to download the whole OS :-)

    Ah, try this instead:

    It is just a Java program which you can run on supported OSes without
    rebooting or making a CD etc.

    Cheers,

    Chris

  18. Re: tja

    "Chris Ridd" wrote in message
    > On 2007-07-20 02:27:06 +0100, "Wade Ward" said:
    >

    >> I finally got that sun download manager running. The checker is large:
    >> 60
    >> megs. I suppose I have to burn it onto a cd and make the cd bootable.

    > That's small beer if you're about to download the whole OS :-)
    >
    > Ah, try this instead:
    >

    > It is just a Java program which you can run on supported OSes without
    > rebooting or making a CD etc.

    There's good news. I _was_ able to burn the image of the system checker
    onto disc and the checker tells me that Sun has drivers for everything it
    could find, mostly nvidia stuff, with the exception of a Motorola product,
    which I think is the PCI modem that I don't currently use. I wish I could
    show the information, but the option it gives you is to print it out on
    floppy. My floppy drive is on the fritz; it reads but doesn't write.
    Annoying is that I bought a backup that doesn't work at all. Grrrr.

    Now that I know how to burn an image file to disc, I'll proceed to do so
    with Sun OS 10. We'll see if I can get it in without destroying what I
    already have. I have partition magic 8.01. One of the things it supposedly
    does is makes differing partitions for other OS's. We'll see. Thanks for
    your help.
    --
    Wade Ward

  19. Re: tja

    Wade Ward wrote:
    > "Chris Ridd" wrote in message
    >> On 2007-07-20 02:27:06 +0100, "Wade Ward" said:
    >>

    >>> I finally got that sun download manager running. The checker is large:
    >>> 60
    >>> megs. I suppose I have to burn it onto a cd and make the cd bootable.

    >> That's small beer if you're about to download the whole OS :-)
    >>
    >> Ah, try this instead:
    >>

    >> It is just a Java program which you can run on supported OSes without
    >> rebooting or making a CD etc.

    > There's good news. I _was_ able to burn the image of the system checker
    > onto disc and the checker tells me that Sun has drivers for everything it
    > could find, mostly nvidia stuff, with the exception of a Motorola product,
    > which I think is the PCI modem that I don't currently use. I wish I could
    > show the information, but the option it gives you is to print it out on
    > floppy. My floppy drive is on the fritz; it reads but doesn't write.
    > Annoying is that I bought a backup that doesn't work at all. Grrrr.
    >
    > Now that I know how to burn an image file to disc, I'll proceed to do so
    > with Sun OS 10. We'll see if I can get it in without destroying what I
    > already have. I have partition magic 8.01. One of the things it supposedly
    > does is makes differing partitions for other OS's. We'll see. Thanks for
    > your help.

    For home use, I'd recommend either Solaris Express or the current
    OpenSolaris release from opensolaris.org.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  20. Re: tja

    > For home use, I'd recommend either Solaris Express or the current
    > OpenSolaris release from opensolaris.org.

    Gosh, I already made the download for solaris 10. It was what the checker
    said would be a good fit. I don't know one from the other. What are the
    plusses of Express or Opensolaris?
    --
    WW

+ Reply to Thread