USB Storage devices and unrecognised file systems - Solaris

This is a discussion on USB Storage devices and unrecognised file systems - Solaris ; I have a new Aigo 2G USB storage device/MP3 player. It works with WinXP which claims that the file system is "FAT". When I plug it into a fully patched Sol10 system, the storage is recognised, devices are set up ...

  1. USB Storage devices and unrecognised file systems

    I have a new Aigo 2G USB storage device/MP3 player. It works with WinXP
    which claims that the file system is "FAT".

    When I plug it into a fully patched Sol10 system, the storage is recognised,
    devices are set up but volume manager doesn't mount the device in /rmdisk.
    In /tmp/.removable/rmdisk0-0 is the one line message

    unformatted_media /vol/dev/rdsk/c6t0d0/unknown_format

    which makes me wonder if there is something curious about the "DOS-BIG" file
    type that the USB storage is using. Is DOS-BIG the same as FAT32? Anybody
    know a work-around or fix that doesn't involve reformating the file system
    as that will probably kill the MP3 functions?

    Thanks, (the rest of this is just output from various commands I've been
    using.)

    Jul 16 18:38:31 XXXX usba: [ID 912658 kern.info] USB 1.10 device
    (usb66f,8000) operating at full speed (USB 1.x) on USB 1.10 root hub:
    storage@2, scsa2usb4 at bus address 3
    Jul 16 18:38:31 XXXX usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] PRODUCT>
    23DE908BA9CB508E
    Jul 16 18:38:31 XXXX genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] scsa2usb4 is
    /pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2
    Jul 16 18:38:31 XXXX genunix: [ID 408114 kern.info]
    //pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2 (scsa2usb4) online
    Jul 16 18:38:34 XXXX scsi: [ID 193665 kern.info] sd5 at scsa2usb4: target 0
    lun 0
    Jul 16 18:38:34 XXXX genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] sd5 is
    /pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2/disk@0,0Jul 16 18:38:35 XXXX genunix: [ID
    408114 kern.info] /pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2/disk@0,0 (sd5) online

    I can see the storage with rmformat

    $ rmformat
    Looking for devices...
    2. Volmgt Node: /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0
    Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c6t0d0p0
    Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2/disk@0,0
    Connected Device: SigmaTel MSCN 0100
    Device Type: Removable

    When I run fdisk on the device I see

    # fdisk /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0
    Total disk size is 1001 cylinders Cylinder size is
    # 4096 (512 byte) blocks

    Cylinders
    Partition Status Type Start End Length %
    ========= ====== ============ ===== === ====== ===
    1 Active DOS-BIG 0 250 251 25

    So the USB device is perfectly visible to Solaris, but will not mount. I've
    tried disabling volume manager and doing the mounts by hand without success.
    The best I can get is

    # mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c6t0d0p0 /mnt
    mount: /dev/dsk/c6t0d0p0 is not a DOS filesystem.

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

    I believe I will take this opportunity to remove my ears.

  2. Re: USB Storage devices and unrecognised file systems

    On Jul 16, 6:58 pm, Lone Gaffe wrote:
    > I have a new Aigo 2G USB storage device/MP3 player. It works with WinXP
    > which claims that the file system is "FAT".
    >
    > When I plug it into a fully patched Sol10 system, the storage is recognised,
    > devices are set up but volume manager doesn't mount the device in /rmdisk.
    > In /tmp/.removable/rmdisk0-0 is the one line message
    >
    > unformatted_media /vol/dev/rdsk/c6t0d0/unknown_format
    >
    > which makes me wonder if there is something curious about the "DOS-BIG" file
    > type that the USB storage is using. Is DOS-BIG the same as FAT32? Anybody
    > know a work-around or fix that doesn't involve reformating the file system
    > as that will probably kill the MP3 functions?
    >
    > Thanks, (the rest of this is just output from various commands I've been
    > using.)

    > Jul 16 18:38:31 XXXX usba: [ID 912658 kern.info] USB 1.10 device
    > (usb66f,8000) operating at full speed (USB 1.x) on USB 1.10 root hub:
    > storage@2, scsa2usb4 at bus address 3
    > Jul 16 18:38:31 XXXX usba: [ID 349649 kern.info] PRODUCT>
    > 23DE908BA9CB508E
    > Jul 16 18:38:31 XXXX genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] scsa2usb4 is
    > /pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2
    > Jul 16 18:38:31 XXXX genunix: [ID 408114 kern.info]
    > //pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2 (scsa2usb4) online
    > Jul 16 18:38:34 XXXX scsi: [ID 193665 kern.info] sd5 at scsa2usb4: target 0
    > lun 0
    > Jul 16 18:38:34 XXXX genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] sd5 is
    > /pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2/disk@0,0Jul 16 18:38:35 XXXX genunix: [ID
    > 408114 kern.info] /pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2/disk@0,0 (sd5) online
    >
    > I can see the storage with rmformat
    >
    > $ rmformat
    > Looking for devices...
    > 2. Volmgt Node: /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0
    > Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c6t0d0p0
    > Physical Node: /pci@0,0/pci1179,1@1d/storage@2/disk@0,0
    > Connected Device: SigmaTel MSCN 0100
    > Device Type: Removable
    >
    > When I run fdisk on the device I see
    >
    > # fdisk /vol/dev/aliases/rmdisk0
    > Total disk size is 1001 cylinders Cylinder size is
    > # 4096 (512 byte) blocks
    >
    > Cylinders
    > Partition Status Type Start End Length %
    > ========= ====== ============ ===== === ====== ===
    > 1 Active DOS-BIG 0 250 251 25
    >
    > So the USB device is perfectly visible to Solaris, but will not mount. I've
    > tried disabling volume manager and doing the mounts by hand without success.
    > The best I can get is
    >
    > # mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c6t0d0p0 /mnt
    > mount: /dev/dsk/c6t0d0p0 is not a DOS filesystem.
    >
    > --
    > Geoff Lane, Airstrip One
    >
    > I believe I will take this opportunity to remove my ears.

    Try,

    mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c6t0d0p0:c /mnt

    I always add that :c at the end as I find it won't work without it. ??

  3. Re: USB Storage devices and unrecognised file systems

    Franco wrote:
    > mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c6t0d0p0:c /mnt
    > I always add that :c at the end as I find it won't work without it. ??

    That was a typo - it doesn't work.

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

    "Ahead groove factor 5! Yeah!"
    -- Holly

  4. Re: USB Storage devices and unrecognised file systems

    Lone Gaffe napisał(a):

    > type that the USB storage is using. Is DOS-BIG the same as FAT32? Anybody
    > know a work-around or fix that doesn't involve reformating the file system
    > as that will probably kill the MP3 functions?

    You could try with mtools

    http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~bernhard/mtools.html

    Andrzej

+ Reply to Thread