Intelligent Package Selection on Install - Solaris

This is a discussion on Intelligent Package Selection on Install - Solaris ; Hello, Where can I find a good description of the installation packages contained on the Install DVD for Solaris 10? I would like to have as minimal an install (especially no windowing environment) as I can but still have a ...

  1. Intelligent Package Selection on Install

    Hello,

    Where can I find a good description of the installation packages
    contained on the Install DVD for Solaris 10? I would like to have as
    minimal an install (especially no windowing environment) as I can but
    still have a complete development toolchain. I'm relatively new to
    Solaris, though not to *nix system administration in general. I'm afraid
    I find the package names and brief descriptions contained in the
    installer to be non-intuitive, and I'm unsure what I really need to add,
    aside from the obvious (like gcc, glibc, etc). Thanks for your time!

    Bill

  2. Re: Intelligent Package Selection on Install

    On Jul 12, 1:17 pm, William Knechtel wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Where can I find a good description of the installation packages
    > contained on the Install DVD for Solaris 10? I would like to have as
    > minimal an install (especially no windowing environment) as I can but
    > still have a complete development toolchain. I'm relatively new to
    > Solaris, though not to *nix system administration in general. I'm afraid
    > I find the package names and brief descriptions contained in the
    > installer to be non-intuitive, and I'm unsure what I really need to add,
    > aside from the obvious (like gcc, glibc, etc). Thanks for your time!

    Right. If you dont know anything about Solaris then install the lot
    (full minus OEM). Install with remote services off for starters,
    and disable other services you dont need later after installation. man
    svcadm is your friend.
    Be prepared to do that a few times til you get it "right" : >

+ Reply to Thread